Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > WPA on WDS

WPA on WDS
aaanorton
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 01:00 PM

I just updated my AXT and AXP with Airport 4.1, AXT firmware 5.5 and AXP firmware 6.1. I am now able to protect my WDS network with WPA. Cool.

inchhigh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2004, 01:27 PM

I have been using my Airport Extreme to extend a linksys WRT54G router with WEP. Since the 6.1 firmware update supports WPA on WDS systems I tried switching to WPA but I could no longer get the Airport Express on the network, so I switched back to WEP.

Has anyone had any success getting WPA on WDS working with airport espress and linksys (or any other non-apple router)?

thanks in advance,
iH

Originally posted by aaanorton:
I just updated my AXT and AXP with Airport 4.1, AXT firmware 5.5 and AXP firmware 6.1. I am now able to protect my WDS network with WPA. Cool.

aaanorton  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 05:54 PM

Are you sure you were extending the network; or were you just joined to it? Extending it would mean using WDS as a remote client. As far as I know, this is not possible with Linksys' own firmware.

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2004, 02:09 PM

Apple is one of the first companies to provide support for WPA over WDS in their wireless routers. Linksys doesn't even offer WDS at this moment in time. If you want WPA over WDS with linksys hardware, you need to install new firmware from Sveasoft.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

Leo the 3rd
Dec 19, 2004, 12:55 AM

Has anyone posted setup instructions to get WDS with WPA working using an AXP and Linksys running Sveasoft firmware? I've got everything I can think of set up, but my system doesn't give me a valid IP. Any tips or a link to a FAQ/setup document would be great.

inchhigh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2004, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Are you sure you were extending the network; or were you just joined to it? Extending it would mean using WDS as a remote client. As far as I know, this is not possible with Linksys' own firmware.
It is possible with the 3.01.3 linksys firmware. I have been running one linksys WRT54G and 2 Airport Expresses for about a month using WDS with WEP. It works great. I have read it is possible with the sveasoft firmware too, but I decided to give it a try with the linksys firmware, and since it worked, I decided to just stick with it. I have not been successful getting WDS and WPA working though. (which was why I posted the question here)

Just do some googling, the setup info is out there (for WDS w/WEP).

Key things to check are:
on llinksys
-set up a normal wireless network using 128 bit WEP
-pick a channel
-set password
-if you are enabling the Wireless MAC filter you will need to enter the Airport expresses mac address
-set SSID

on airport
-set airport expresses to 'Create a Wireless Network'
-give it the same name (SSID) as you set in the linksys
-set it to same channel as the linksys
-give it the same security settings (128 bit WEP)
-enter the password you set on the linksys (I think you need a $ at the beginning since it's a hex password)
-on internet tab pick 'connect using AirPort WDS'
-check allow wireless client computers
-I configured manually, but DHCP should work too
-on WDS tab check enable this base station as a WDS remote base station
-check allow wireless clients on this base station
-enter Mac address of the linkys

thats about it, really works great once you get it going
good luck
( Last edited by inchhigh; Dec 21, 2004 at 01:47 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules