Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just bought my first Mac ever

Just bought my first Mac ever
furio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 01:47 AM

Have been a Windows user all my life, but I couldn't resist the call of Apple any longer, from the delicious GUI to sexy hardware, I finally broke down and ordered myself a 12" 1.5 Powerbook (Superdrive). BTW, Great deal over at Amazon- $150 rebate, no tax, free shipping.

I will post pics of my setup when it arrives. God, I hate waiting.

Any recommendations for 1GB of ram? I don't mind paying more if the cost is justified, but also don't want to pay anymore than I need to. Any comments on the Kingmax at newegg?

jmagic
Feb 25, 2005, 02:22 AM

congrats!!

post pics!!

ram: i have no idea where you should get ram, some people report kingmax as good, some as faulty....the only brand i've heard that consistently gets good remarks is crucial, but their 1 gb ram stick is very expensive, but their 512 is very reasonable.
ibook 900 12.1" combo 640mb =)
powerbook 1.33 15" 768mb =P

skorpiond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by furio:
Have been a Windows user all my life, but I couldn't resist the call of Apple any longer, from the delicious GUI to sexy hardware, I finally broke down and ordered myself a 12" 1.5 Powerbook (Superdrive). BTW, Great deal over at Amazon- $150 rebate, no tax, free shipping.

I will post pics of my setup when it arrives. God, I hate waiting.

Any recommendations for 1GB of ram? I don't mind paying more if the cost is justified, but also don't want to pay anymore than I need to. Any comments on the Kingmax at newegg?
I've been using PCs for the last 10 years, never a MAC... until I started doing digital photography and it HIT ME... I had to get a MAC... last week I was browsing ebay to see prices and came across a 15" PowerBook 1.25ghz/512 megs/superdrive, I had to bid on it and I won the auction . I should be receiving it today and I can't wait to play with it.

edit: forgot to mention that I right away ordered another 512 megs chip from www.PowerlineMemory.com $83 shipped.
12" PB 1.33Ghz/ 768MB RAM
iMic2 Griffin
300GB External USB/Firewire Western Digital HD
30" Dell LCD Monitor
Airport Express
Nikon D70 w/1GB
60 GB iPod Video (Black)

ricacu
Feb 25, 2005, 11:42 AM

u will not have 1 g there, apple ships those with 2 x 256
15" 1.5Ghz AlBook | supr. drive | M-Audio e49 .

furio  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 11:46 AM

jmagic, skorpiond -- Thanks for the recommendations and kind words!

I just received an email from Amazon and they have already shipped! (I ordered Wed. night)

Anyhow, I forgot to mention the main reason for switching:

As a PC user, I may have been in the minority: no viruses or any problems. I'm the friend everyone goes to with computer related question or problem. But even with a smooth running computer and healthy system, I always knew in the back of my mind, it shouldn't be this hard. Many switchers probably know what I'm talking about. Little annoyances that you can handle but deep down, know it shouldn't be done this way. From stupid printer problems that go away with a reboot to having to scan your computer weekly for viruses and spyware. But what finally pushed me over was the exclusive software I couldn't get with Windows (yeah go figure?).

TextMate (text editor) - http://www.macromates.com
Quicksilver - http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/

As a hobbyist programmer (I don't program for a living), I recently started getting into Ruby and Ruby on Rails in particular. Although you can run Ruby & Rails on Windows, it just doesn�t seem as natural fit as the OS X environment. Also, the developer of Rails should get some credit for pushing quite a few of us over to Apple. His online Rails demonstrations are better than any Apple commercial or online review at demonstrating the power and productivity potential of OS X.

In the past, it was always a left brain argument that steered me towards Windows. Now my left and right brain are in total agreement.

- furio

Also, check out these Ruby links:
http://poignantguide.net/ruby/ (Great and strange Ruby tutorial)
http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/5546 (Great Rails tutorial)
http://www.rubyonrails.com (Rails site)

skorpiond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by ricacu:
u will not have 1 g there, apple ships those with 2 x 256
I hope you're not talking to me nor that you're right about that... I will be very furious if that's the case

In case you're right, does that mean that I will be stock with 768 megs?
iMic2 Griffin
30" Dell LCD Monitor
Airport Express
Nikon D70 w/1GB
60 GB iPod Video (Black)

skorpiond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by furio:
But what finally pushed me over was the exclusive software I couldn't get with Windows (yeah go figure?).

[/B]
That is too funny furio, the reason why I really never went for the Mac was because I was afraid of not been able to get the software applications that I usually was able to get my hands on with the PC. I'm a PC Administrator where I work, so I get all the software for the PC (no one has to know) .
iMic2 Griffin
30" Dell LCD Monitor
Airport Express
Nikon D70 w/1GB
60 GB iPod Video (Black)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2005, 12:20 PM

skorpiond...you might get lucky. Not alot of people went for the single 512MB chip when those Alu's were out, but the ones who did usually were the ones who sprung for the superdrive model, the one you purchased. So with that said, your shot is about 20-30% on getting a machine with a 512MB chip installed.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

skorpiond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
skorpiond...you might get lucky. Not alot of people went for the single 512MB chip when those Alu's were out, but the ones who did usually were the ones who sprung for the superdrive model, the one you purchased. So with that said, your shot is about 20-30% on getting a machine with a 512MB chip installed.
Thanks for responding iREZ, I have my fingers crossed so I hope I am one of those lucky ones getting the 512 megs chip. I guess you guys will noticed whether I receive 2 of 256 when I change my signature.
iMic2 Griffin
30" Dell LCD Monitor
Airport Express
Nikon D70 w/1GB
60 GB iPod Video (Black)

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2005, 01:21 PM

I find my memory in

www.ramseeker.com

You can max your system up to 1.25 GB.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

skorpiond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by skorpiond:
Thanks for responding iREZ, I have my fingers crossed so I hope I am one of those lucky ones getting the 512 megs chip. I guess you guys will noticed whether I receive 2 of 256 when I change my signature.
EDIT: WOHOOOOoo... I'M luckyyyyyyy....

I just received my PB and it came with a 512 megs chip!!!! yesssss!
iMic2 Griffin
30" Dell LCD Monitor
Airport Express
Nikon D70 w/1GB
60 GB iPod Video (Black)

furio  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by skorpiond:
EDIT: WOHOOOOoo... I'M luckyyyyyyy....

I just received my PB and it came with a 512 megs chip!!!! yesssss!
Nice!
\

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2005, 05:52 PM

Congrads on your new purchases (everyone in this thread). I'm also typing on my first mac (see sig). I'm also in the minority of PC users who never really had a problem... but had to fix others' problems on a daily basis. I love this new powerbook... so much nicer than my PC. I am however reformatting my PC as an XP/linux dual booting system when I go home over spring break. I need it to do some gaming HL2 ya know...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules