Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iweb 09 vs iweb 08

iweb 09 vs iweb 08
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2009, 04:15 PM

Am I correct in assuming that there's very little difference between the two applications with the following exceptions.
widgets
ftp publishing

I'm debating if I want to buy iLife 09 mostly for iweb, but the first looks/reviews I've read so far seem to indicate very little has been changed.

Any iLife 09 users care to chime in and offer their 02ยข
~Mike

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2009, 04:42 PM

iWeb '08 included widgets. I'm not sure about FTP publishing. I believe thats new. But I only have iLife '04 or something, I don't know. Its out of date for sure, so I'm just going by what I've read about.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2009, 04:52 PM

While iweb did have widgets, I think iweb 09 extends this further with new widgets (most of which I'm not interested in).

While the price isn't high, 80 bucks, I'm having a hard time justifying the purchase (I'm only interested in iweb for now) and I'm not seeing any changes other then the aforementioned widgets/ftp publishing options.
~Mike

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2009, 07:29 PM

I upgraded - some nice handy features such as new widgets, upload to ftp server etc just make things run even smoother. There's also a few more generic layouts.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 6, 2009, 10:19 PM

Multiple sites.

davecom
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2009, 10:19 PM

Pretty much the same, yeah a few added widgets and designs (not that many though) which all could've been offered through a point release. Not worth upgrading all of iLife just for this new iWeb version in my opinion.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2009, 11:07 AM

I decided to take the plunge even though the list of changes is rather meager

I'm working on my site now and so I've only started playing with some of newer widgets
~Mike

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2009, 08:24 PM

Were those RSS feeds available in iLife 08? I only discovered them after upgrading - they're quite cool.

davecom
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2009, 10:08 PM

Yeah there was definitely RSS feeds at least for blogs in '08.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2009, 10:37 PM

iWeb '09 publishes much, MUCH faster from what I've seen. I think it only does actual changes to the sites now, so for those bloggers out there, it doesn't take nearly as long each you time you go to publish your site each day.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2009, 10:38 PM

This is a good summary as well, from MacWorld....

http://www.macworld.com/article/1386...02/iweb09.html

ph0ust
Senior User
Feb 10, 2009, 03:45 PM

why the hell don't they just let you publish files to mobileme without forcing it to create stupid urls on your own domain (uploading a folder with the name of the site that includes all the files). if they fix that it will make iweb perfect for me and a lot of others. until then, everyone has to have stupid urls if they have their own domain.

please apple.... change that.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2009, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by ph0ust View Post
why the hell don't they just let you publish files to mobileme without forcing it to create stupid urls on your own domain (uploading a folder with the name of the site that includes all the files). if they fix that it will make iweb perfect for me and a lot of others. until then, everyone has to have stupid urls if they have their own domain.

please apple.... change that.
After "publish to a folder" you ignore the index and the wrapper folder, and only upload the contents.

I actually said bye-bye to iWeb and working on my first site coded by hand in HTML and CSS, which gives you much better quality of the display, infinitely more options to design, and faster loads.

It's so much fun, that I won't touch a WYSIWYG editor any more, not even Dreamweaver.

HenryMelton
Feb 12, 2009, 02:47 PM

I've been making websites since gopher bit the dust, and have been through many technologies from hand-coding to Dreamweaver to custom cgi. Right now I've been using iWeb for about three years, simply because I don't have the time to tinker with the details and I need to make frequent changes. Here's what I think I've noticed when I switched from '08 to '09.

There are more widgets, but I don't use them except to add a bit of custom html like tracking codes.

The multiple sites in the sidebar allow individual upload customization, and 'publish site' only uploads the one you're pointing to. Only 'touched' pages are published.

I had started a podcast (record in Garageband and upload to iWeb), reading my newest novel chapter by chapter and when I switched from 08 to 09, there was some little glitch in the feed so that when I added it to the iTunes podcast listing, the episodes recorded under 08 didn't show up. 'Touching' each old episode and re-uploading fixed it. (It was glad of that. No sense uploading a novel if people have to start reading at chapter 9.)

In general iWeb is pretty and it's easy to be pretty, but you have much more flexibility with Dreamweaver or something like that that let's you touch the underlying code. All I need is regularly updated static pages and iWeb does that fine. I also have the mobilme account and it's no problem at all to directly access the published pages with BBedit or a shell script if you absolutely have to make direct changes like I did in the earlier versions. If you want a top of the line web2 site, forget it. You can sample my site. It is all done in straight iWeb. If your tastes are more glittery, you can do that as well.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by HenryMelton View Post
I've been making websites since gopher bit the dust, and have been through many technologies from hand-coding to Dreamweaver to custom cgi. Right now I've been using iWeb for about three years, simply because I don't have the time to tinker with the details and I need to make frequent changes.
This is primarily why I use iWeb and/or RapidWeaver. While technically I can hand code my website, I choose not too, because I have other priorities in life. iWeb makes things so much easier, and visually better then what I can do in a similar amount of time.
~Mike

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2009, 05:28 AM

i enjoy the process to design the website from scratch.

Even though I'm not experienced yet I can do things I couldn't do in iWeb.

What I particularly like is that you get sharp text, clear lines. Everything looks clearer.

I mean, if you use CSS. The older way to use <style> elements, to style with HTML, is of course more stressful, and changes to sites are horrible, as you have to go through each page.

I have Text Wrangler open on the left, a browser open to the right of my 24" monitor, and whenever I do a change, I refresh the browser and see what I'm doing.

I really like it.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2009, 08:37 AM

That's great for many people at least for me, I do not have the luxury of spending time banging out code. I've used Coda (great tool), and I said I know css/html. For me the end result is what I'm after, not the process of coding, as my time is better spent with my family.

Just my $.02
~Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules