Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My World Has Been Rocked (Advice Thread)

My World Has Been Rocked (Advice Thread) (Page 5)
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2012, 10:35 AM

Guess this is the place to put this.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2012, 10:49 AM

Beautiful!

andi*pandi
Apr 2, 2012, 11:08 AM

oh my god the cuteness, that hat... great photo!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2012, 01:25 PM

Oh nö, I'm in cute overload.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2012, 01:33 PM

OMG that is sooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The baby looks so tiny against that towel/rug/blanket...
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2012, 02:33 PM

She already has me wrapped around her little finger. We've had some very meaningful conversations too, her grasp of philosophy is impressive. She said that life is about milk, sleep, and crying, and that poop can happen at any time. She's brilliant.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2012, 02:58 PM

Do you have a car seat in your Lambo?

Congrats!

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

OreoCookie
Apr 2, 2012, 03:04 PM

Awesome shot, just wow! She looks as if she's the size of my thumb!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2012, 03:05 PM

Question, did you position her arms like that while she was sleeping like laying her down to sleep or did she do that all on her own. Thats a amazing photo!!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2012, 03:12 PM

Yeah, she's cute now, but just you wait.

My 8 year old daughter has asked for a mobile phone, a tattoo and an iPad. So far.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2012, 03:33 PM

I didn't take the picture, I'm a horrible photographer. We had them done professionally at a local studio. She was already very sleepy, so they positioned her while she was dozing off. She can, and will, sleep anywhere, even in the middle of feeding or when we go for walks.

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Do you have a car seat in your Lambo?

Congrats!
Umm, no. She has her own car for riding around, it is specifically "Emma's car".
- Thomas Paine

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2012, 07:33 PM

Every birthday I make a book through iPhoto for my roommates sisters kid. Its my birthday gift to the kid and its basically her life of pictures of that year for each book. They turn out great and I think when older she will appreciate the first 10 years of her life in a book like that. If you ever decide to make up Photo Books through iPhoto or other service. I would use that as the cover photo for the first one.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2012, 04:11 AM

The girls snap pictures all the time, I'm just not much of a shutterbug.

She has completely turned into my wingman/hangout buddy; she watches TV with me, we nap together, go on adventures to exotic places (grocery store, comic book shop, Nana's house, Baskin-Robbins). We talk constantly about colors, shapes, kitties, quantum mechanics, her career, etc.. She wants to go to Yale Law and be a USSC Justice. She said it'll take about that long for someone to realize that Ginsburg is already dead and that the ACLU had her stuffed sometime during the GWB administration. Personally, I'd rather her become a painter or sculptor.
- Thomas Paine

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2012, 11:59 AM

The little guy is nearing the 6-month mark, and looks/acts nothing like his dad. He's the happiest baby I've ever been around, but knows how to flip the switch. He hates sleep, but has made me laugh somehow almost every night/morning at 3 AM.

Easter Sunday:

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2012, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
It's official, your son dresses better than I ever have.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2012, 04:20 PM

Better than his father too.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2012, 12:47 PM

My boy has hit the 8-month mark, and his personality is really starting to shine. He looks and acts nothing like me, and I'm absolutely fine with that.

He won't stop crawling, can't quit harassing the dog with undesired hugs, spends more time standing up in his bed than lying down, and laughs at everyone who passes by him. He's a handful, but we're already starting to think about trying for #2 in another year or so. We don't want the little guy to be an only child.

A few update pics:
(would love to see some from the rest of you guys as well)

andi*pandi
Jul 9, 2012, 01:03 PM

sweetness.

Thorzdad
Jul 9, 2012, 01:09 PM

Remember these days. Hold them close.

It'll help you not kill him when he tells you about how the car ended up in the lake. (hint: Because it was on fire and the lake was the closest water)

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Remember these days. Hold them close.
It'll help you not kill him when he tells you about how the car ended up in the lake. (hint: Because it was on fire and the lake was the closest water)

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2012, 03:25 PM

Make sure your wife knows you still find her sexy

MrsLarry
Senior User
Jul 27, 2012, 06:59 PM

I totally forgot about this thread, coming back to update y'all with some 8month old photos. And Jawbone, your little dude is ADORABLE!!

4665/width/350/height/700[/IMG]4666/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

And this is her latest trick:
4667/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2012, 07:40 PM

She's absolutely beautiful! Looks like she has quite the personality too.

Thank ya.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2012, 08:10 PM

I like that baby! MrsLarry, I will buy that baby off of you. How much?

MrsLarry
Senior User
Jul 28, 2012, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
She's absolutely beautiful! Looks like she has quite the personality too.
Thank ya.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I like that baby! MrsLarry, I will buy that baby off of you. How much?
Uhh, thanks (?) but no thanks. She's kinda grown on me.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2012, 02:28 PM

More Emma in hats!

- Thomas Paine

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2012, 03:31 PM

I don't say this very often, but that is an adorable baby.

andi*pandi
Nov 27, 2012, 03:34 PM

Lovely! I approve of hats.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2012, 04:25 PM

Thank you. Yeah, she likes her hats, there must be around a hundred of them.
- Thomas Paine

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2012, 07:35 PM

We're just weeks away from number 2.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2012, 07:43 PM

I give you permission to call it besson3c.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2012, 08:26 PM

Congrats, you're a hardier man than I. One is my limit. Oh, and tonight she said "poopie" and wrinkled her nose. That's 13 words now.

Here without hat and another with.

- Thomas Paine

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2012, 07:59 AM

Too hocking cute.

andi*pandi
Nov 28, 2012, 08:22 AM

I'm sorry, but given how cute the child you've made is, you must have more. It's the law I think.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 11:39 AM

Not to disparage anyone else's children, but I've noticed a huge difference between Emma and my mechanic's little girl. She's a couple months older but not nearly as attentive, curious, or... umm, not to sound mean, but, bright. Kids develop at different rates, I know, but a lot of it has to be how much attention, affection, and instruction they receive, even as an infant. Also, anywhere we are, there's music playing; classical, jazz, light rock, even metal (no adult lyrics, she likes Joe Satriani). When she's introduced to something I tell her what it is a couple times and outline its main properties, ie. "Emma, this is a tomato, tomato, it's red and round. It's food and we eat them." I don't even think about it anymore, I just do it. Carl doesn't do that, in fact he only interacts with Grace when she cries. So that means she cries a lot, to get attention, and the attention, although not negative, is like, "What is that you want? Did you crap again? Are you hungry?" I've kept my nose out of it, it's his child and not my place to criticize. Besides, I have a secret weapon, my daughter. They stay in a pen that's fairly near the work area and in a week I've noticed a difference. The other girl doesn't cry as much now and she's sitting up and crawling on her own. She smiles and laughs more, and Emma hands her toys. I almost cried when I saw her give the other girl a small stuffed cat and said "ki-ki", and then began petting it to show her how it's done. Talk about being proud, wow, it's indescribable.

So now I teach Emma and I know that she'll pass that on to Grace, and hopefully not too many "bad" things will pass the other way around.
- Thomas Paine

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2012, 12:05 PM

Yes but Grace can strip a small block Chevy.

Blindfolded.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2012, 12:05 PM

lol, no idea how that happened.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 12:08 PM

Twice, it would seem.
- Thomas Paine

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Not to disparage anyone else's children, but I've noticed a huge difference between Emma and my mechanic's little girl. She's a couple months older but not nearly as attentive, curious, or... umm, not to sound mean, but, bright. Kids develop at different rates, I know, but a lot of it has to be how much attention, affection, and instruction they receive, even as an infant. Also, anywhere we are, there's music playing; classical, jazz, light rock, even metal (no adult lyrics, she likes Joe Satriani). When she's introduced to something I tell her what it is a couple times and outline its main properties, ie. "Emma, this is a tomato, tomato, it's red and round. It's food and we eat them." I don't even think about it anymore, I just do it. Carl doesn't do that, in fact he only interacts with Grace when she cries. So that means she cries a lot, to get attention, and the attention, although not negative, is like, "What is that you want? Did you crap again? Are you hungry?" I've kept my nose out of it, it's his child and not my place to criticize. Besides, I have a secret weapon, my daughter. They stay in a pen that's fairly near the work area and in a week I've noticed a difference. The other girl doesn't cry as much now and she's sitting up and crawling on her own. She smiles and laughs more, and Emma hands her toys. I almost cried when I saw her give the other girl a small stuffed cat and said "ki-ki", and then began petting it to show her how it's done. Talk about being proud, wow, it's indescribable.
So now I teach Emma and I know that she'll pass that on to Grace, and hopefully not too many "bad" things will pass the other way around.
I would suggest looking into baby sign language. I think it really helps them develop language skills faster.

My wife and I are constantly engaging our son in conversation... asking him questions, making him ask us questions... we've done it from a very early age and it's really seemed to pay off.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2012, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Not to disparage anyone else's children, but I've noticed a huge difference between Emma and my mechanic's little girl. She's a couple months older but not nearly as attentive, curious, or... umm, not to sound mean, but, bright. Kids develop at different rates, I know, but a lot of it has to be how much attention, affection, and instruction they receive, even as an infant. Also, anywhere we are, there's music playing; classical, jazz, light rock, even metal (no adult lyrics, she likes Joe Satriani). When she's introduced to something I tell her what it is a couple times and outline its main properties, ie. "Emma, this is a tomato, tomato, it's red and round. It's food and we eat them." I don't even think about it anymore,
While nice in theory, the data says otherwise. Check out Selfish Reasons to have more Kids, by Bryan Kaplan for some fascinating research on that issue (http://havemorekidsbook.com/). He goes deep into twin research etc and the conclusion is that parental influence, playing music etc makes, in the long run, zero difference.

In the short run there are some benefits, by the time they are 20 these will have disappeared. Genetics beat nurture, every single time.

Your kid's intelligence is inherited from you and your wife, not put there by your actions.

Also: So cute. Have more

andi*pandi
Nov 28, 2012, 02:40 PM

This emma also likes hats:
6934/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

(so does her brother)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 03:23 PM

Awww... Yours?

Oh, and we do have the baby sign books and cards, and I try to use them, but sometimes I forget. She's picking up language so quickly that it almost catches me off guard.

I do realize that genetics play a major role, but I am noticing a difference in my friend's child, so it must be helping. Plus, music is amazing, without it Emma's much less active and more cranky.
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Nov 28, 2012, 03:51 PM

yep, mine.

we did a few signs when the kids were non-verbal (more, drink, all done) but it sounds like she's pretty vocal already.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2012, 04:29 PM

I might catch some stick for this but I can live with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFANzZTdYM
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2012, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I might catch some stick for this but I can live with that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFANzZTdYM
That's a riot, I'm glad she doesn't keep us up like that. We put her down and she sleeps until she hears us up and about, then she cries and we go get her. A lot of the time she just sleeps with us, I put her on my chest and she konks out, or one of the ladyfolk cradles her and she suckles to sleep.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
yep, mine.

we did a few signs when the kids were non-verbal (more, drink, all done) but it sounds like she's pretty vocal already.
She really pays attention, you can see her working out things in her mind and filing them away. It's her "serious look". If she wants our attention now it's "Pa pa" or "Ma ma" over and over. There's also "foo" and "mil", and now "poopie". A real favorite is "ki ki" and our big white Ragdoll is her cat, whenever she sees it she squeals and then hunts it down.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2012, 12:01 AM

Every parent is convinced their (first) kid is special.

Because it is.

I've been continually amazed how much *faster* things are learned/picked up than I'd expected. But you tend to focus on the things that are the kid's forte.
In my daughter's case, it's language and singing.
In a friend's son's case, it was drawing and sciences.

Your kid isn't special. All kids are special. That's completely normal.

Your kid is the most amazing thing in the world. But every kid is.

Chances are *extremely* high that she's not hyper-intelligent, and there is nothing you can do to affect that. If she's not going to be ready for college by the time she's fourteen (not sure if you were kidding), there is absolutely nothing you can do to make it happen. And if she *is*, then good luck to you in keeping up.

An acquaintance has a gifted daughter: At age 10, she spoke six languages fluently (was working on Japanese at the time), played three instruments (her last flute teacher was a member of the philharmonic orchestra who'd given up as she'd outgrown him), was reading university physics textbooks from the library for recreation, and sitting in on 11th-grade classes at her school.
This is terrible on a 10-year-old, because she's doing all this stuff that's beyond the level of most adults, but then, she's a ten-year-old who cuddles teddy bears and has all the insecurities of a prepubescent psyche.
She's in WAY better shape than she would have been twenty years ago, simply because the internet has given her a huge network of peers worldwide who are going through the exact same issues.

Also: her parents did absolutely nothing special. Her gift was apparent early on, and her dad has just been struggling to keep up and keep her mind busy ever since (which is a financial struggle, as well).

Also, she's really cool and funny.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2012, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I'm sorry, but given how cute the child you've made is, you must have more. It's the law I think.
We thought hard about that too, after our first one turned out so phenomenally awesome, but were really scared that we'd never manage to make another one that good.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2012, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Every parent is convinced their (first) kid is special.
Because it is.
I've been continually amazed how much *faster* things are learned/picked up than I'd expected. But you tend to focus on the things that are the kid's forte.
In my daughter's case, it's language and singing.
In a friend's son's case, it was drawing and sciences.
Your kid isn't special. All kids are special. That's completely normal.
Your kid is the most amazing thing in the world. But every kid is.
Chances are *extremely* high that she's not hyper-intelligent, and there is nothing you can do to affect that. If she's not going to be ready for college by the time she's fourteen (not sure if you were kidding), there is absolutely nothing you can do to make it happen. And if she *is*, then good luck to you in keeping up.
Actually, odds are that she is very intelligent, her mother and I both have IQs >150, genetic markers also point in that direction as well. Also, her language skills are currently in the top 1% for her age (9 months), the words she uses have direct relation to the items or people she wants. I was reading at 3 (read The Hobbit at 4), and bilingual. Perhaps I am biased, but others have noticed it as well, her pediatrician is genuinely amazed by her.

We're not going to push her, she can move at her own pace, but I'm going to make sure that I don't get in her way, either.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2012, 02:36 AM

Well then...good luck.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2012, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
While nice in theory, the data says otherwise. Check out Selfish Reasons to have more Kids, by Bryan Kaplan for some fascinating research on that issue (http://havemorekidsbook.com/). He goes deep into twin research etc and the conclusion is that parental influence, playing music etc makes, in the long run, zero difference.
It says much less difference, not zero. Plus there's no "work" in it for me, she loves the attention and I love doing it. Every minute with her is amazing.
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules