Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail search is broken

Mail search is broken
kevs
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2019, 05:15 PM

Sorry, don't have much specific into to give, but notice in last few months that Mail search for emails and more, not finding emails from people in there well. Anyone else notice? Any tricks to get it to work better?

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2019, 09:07 PM

Confirmed 100% today Mail search is broken, not working? Is there anything I can do?

reader50
Administrator
Dec 13, 2019, 10:07 PM

System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Search Results (tab) -> [x] Mail & Messages

If this [box] is unchecked, check it. 5-15 minutes later, Mail should be searchable.

If the box is checked, uncheck it to delete the broken indexes. Close Sys Prefs. Re-open Sys Prefs, recheck that box. Spotlight should catch up in 5-15 minutes.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2019, 10:13 PM

Thanks Reader, the problem is that it is checked.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2019, 12:25 AM

PS, If I search with name, Mail will dig down into sub folders and find the email. Also, Spotlight will find it. But if I search with email (which is easier), Mail suddenly wont dig down to subfolders and find emails with that email. Only in inbox. Very frustrating. Was ok for last 5 years, just not last few weeks.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 16, 2019, 01:21 AM

Your Mail has been set to only search Inbox. After starting the search, options appear in the status bar. Under Mail's title bar, and above the field titles. Switch the search domain from Inbox to All.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2019, 01:26 AM

Thanks Reader, yes, I know the all tab for long time. That problem is All tab used to dig really down anywhere, now now doing that. Real frustrating.. but only email, if I know persons last name I'm ok. But often I don't.

Any ideas?

Forum Links
Forum Rules