Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Installing a new hard drive?

Installing a new hard drive?
Tiny-E
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2005, 06:46 PM

My powerbook is dead

I think it's my hard drive and I want to try switching it with another one I have lying around. Just wondering how I go about doing this, or if there's somewhere on the web that shows my how to do it. I heard that it isn't that hard to do. BTW, I have a 550 MHz ti pbook.

If anyone knows, please let me know!!!!! I'm now being forced to use my brother's desktop pc....

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Tiny-E:
My powerbook is dead

I think it's my hard drive and I want to try switching it with another one I have lying around. Just wondering how I go about doing this, or if there's somewhere on the web that shows my how to do it. I heard that it isn't that hard to do. BTW, I have a 550 MHz ti pbook.

If anyone knows, please let me know!!!!! I'm now being forced to use my brother's desktop pc....

Try this site it has good free instructions.
http://www.transintl.com/technotes/titanium.htm

Tiny-E  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2005, 07:47 PM

Thanks, I took a look on the web and found some useful sites. Now, any suggestions on which hard drive I should get? I'd like to get a 60 or 80 gig drive but don't know if i should go with a 5400 or 7200 rpm drive. Anyone using a 7200 rpm drive in an older powerbook? Are they quite loud?

tiansa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 12:54 PM

I replaced my dead factory installed PB Ti hard drive with a 60 GB 5400 rpm drive this past summer, I have been quite pleased with the drive, overall the drive is quiter than my previous drive... A breeze to install... Below is the lin to the drive I purchased from NewEgg...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...153-015&depa=0

ingeniero
Feb 4, 2005, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Tiny-E:
Thanks, I took a look on the web and found some useful sites. Now, any suggestions on which hard drive I should get? I'd like to get a 60 or 80 gig drive but don't know if i should go with a 5400 or 7200 rpm drive. Anyone using a 7200 rpm drive in an older powerbook? Are they quite loud?
I personally recommend a Fujitsu hard drive with a 5400 rpm. The 60GB p/n is MHT2060AH and the 80GB p/n is MHT2080AH.
It appears like provantage.com has the best pricing. see links. $138 for the 80 and $108 for the 60.

80GB

60GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules