Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Strange issue moving iPhoto library back to old computer

Strange issue moving iPhoto library back to old computer
Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Jan 8, 2006, 04:58 AM

I'm trying to move my iphoto library from my new PB back to an older iBook.

The iBook was reformatted (wiped clean and reset in a new language) for the new owner who, being my sister-in-law, told me she wants the iphoto library (family photos) put back on the iBook.

So what I did was drop my PBook iphoto library into my ipod and drop it onto her iBook destop; deleted her (almost empty) existing library and replaced it with the new one.

However, when I rebooted iPhoto ONLY THOSE PHOTOS TAKEN BEFORE THE POWERBOOK show up in iPhoto.

In other words, the iBook is only recognizing photos which were once in its library, and ignoring those which were added to my iPhoto library AFTER this iPhoto library was transferred from the iBook to my new PowerBook five months ago. These total over 1000 photos.

What I tried next was dropping the ignored photos manually into iPhoto from desktop but every time I attempt this -- whether I try dropping the entire 1000 or one at a time -- I get the spinning beach ball of death for a minute and then iPhoto shuts down.

The ignored photos are now sitting in a separate folder on desktop.

I'm lost. What should I do?

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Jan 8, 2006, 12:29 PM

Ununswered thread... sinking... problem... unsolved....

Please... help....

Me....

bewebste
Senior User
Jan 8, 2006, 01:39 PM

It may be that iPhoto isn't looking for the library in the place you're expecting. The default location for the library is ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library (where ~ is your home folder). The location can be changed though, either by holding down the option key while starting up iPhoto, or using a program such as iPhoto Library Manager or iPhoto Buddy.

You might also check to make sure you're running the same version of iPhoto on the iBook. An older version might be confused by a library folder from a newer version.

Forum Links
Forum Rules