Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Single 1.8ghz G5 Problems

Single 1.8ghz G5 Problems
TheDeathman
Jun 26, 2005, 11:32 PM

Ok so I got a new G5(single 1.8ghz, 600mhz FSB) from CDW for a great price since its discontinued. The first problem is that when quitting applications that take up the whole screen(like WoW) the monitor turns black and the G5 essentially shuts off and won't comeback without a forced restart. The second problem is the computer not waking from sleep. The computer remains completely dead after being put to sleep with the exception of the power light which remains on. If you force restart it from this state it comes back with fans full blast for a good 30-60 seconds before booting into OSX.

Comp specs are...

Single CPU 1.8ghz G5
256 Apple RAM
512 RAM from CDW
GeForce 5200FX
Standard 80 gig HD

Any ideas?

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 11:53 PM

What OS are you running?
Agent69

TheDeathman  (op)
Jun 27, 2005, 12:01 AM

and after doing a little research I figured out WoW tends to not like to quit under Tiger

The sleep problem is still a mystery.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2005, 01:20 AM

The crash when quitting full screen apps (usually games) is a known bug with the single 1.8s and 10.4. It may be related to Quicktime 7.0.1. You can find a lot of discussion about this on the Apple support message boards. Unfortunately, no one has a solution other than logging into the frozen machine from another machine and killing the hung process.

File a bug report if you're an ADC member or feedback if you're not. The more we get the more pressure on Apple to fix the problem.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2005, 01:19 PM

I had sleep issues with mine also. Here is a link to the thread:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ighlight=sleep

My machine also suffers from the game issues. I hope Apple comes out with a fix very soon.

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2005, 02:18 PM

I play WoW on both my 2.0Ghz iMac and my Dual 2.5 Power Mac. Never had any trouble quiting the game. I used to turn off the Mac each day but now just use Sleep Mode. So far so good.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

hpence
Jun 27, 2005, 03:34 PM

a friend of mine has a dual 2.5gig that has the exact same sleep issue - no wake from sleep and the fans will go crazy for several seconds on restart... so at least this issue is not isolated to the single 1.8.

We've tried swapping out the video card, memory and resinstalled the OS (10.3.8) with no difference - so I've pretty much concluded its a processor/motherboard issue.

His also has the occational kernal panic while running final cut pro and sometimes on boot... you ever experianced anything like that deathman?

*the dual 2.5ghz in my possession has never shown any of these symptoms - just the damn electric chirp.
UltraCube: 1.4ghz - Radeon9800pro - 1.2
GB ram - 120gb/8mb HD - 24x Combo Drive
--- all running off an external 400watt MDD
power supply.
20" Apple Aluminum LCD (sweet)

TheDeathman  (op)
Jun 27, 2005, 10:51 PM

No kernal panics yet, plus I don't ever use FCP. Most CPU intensive thing I use is either WoW or GarageBand/ProTools. But keep in mind I've only had this beast about 5 or so days so there is still time to see if that happens.(Pray to the computer gods it doesn't)

Forum Links
Forum Rules