Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Invisible Shield

Invisible Shield
mrurmil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2008, 11:59 AM

Does anyone have an invisible shield for their MBP? If so, would you say its worth getting? Who makes the best ones?
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D
320GB HDD
4GB RAM
256MB VRAM

gangaspeed
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2008, 12:40 AM

Definitiely a good buy
a great one really.

my buddy just bought a MBP about 2 months ago week later put the invisible shield on it, just bought an iphone today and got a invisible shield on monday and put it on right after he bought it.

take your time wear latex gloves and keep everything around you clean. it is much like putting window tint there is some room for error while you are putting it on but after yous squeegee it off no touchy.

GREAT BUY FOR THE MONEY! CHEAP INSURANCE against scratches.

mugenpwr17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2008, 09:47 PM

I second that, it is cheap insurance from scratches, one thing that I would suggest other than making sure that the area that you are going to be working in should be fairly free from dust and other debris, is that you should not wear latex gloves as it will stick to it. The hardest piece is the top cover, since it is the largest. The other pieces are not too bad. After the film has dried it looks 10 times better.

I use the one from: invisibleSHIELD | iPod Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

and have never had a problem with them. If you want some photos I will gladly email some to you. I hope that it helps. Cheers!
( Last edited by mugenpwr17; Apr 5, 2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Typo)

Christopera
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2008, 11:36 PM

It was a nice investment for my MB. Be patient as their shipping times are terrible. It took over a month for me to finally recieve mine. It has kept my MB in nice shape but it really sucks on the touch pad. I might remove it after using it with it on for about 4 months. When atmospheric conditions are correct it works well, but sometimes you can barely move your finger across the touch pad.
MB 2.16ghz c2d 3gb/250gb

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2008, 05:20 AM

I used the full body IS on my original Core Duo MBP. I just sold it when I upgraded to the new MBP and the old machine was in perfect shape after two years of hard use. Tomorrow the IS goes on the new MBP. The only caveat: I don't use the piece that goes on the trackpad....it just doesn't feel or work right with the film in place. Otherwise, highly recommended.

mrurmil  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2008, 12:49 PM

Once the shield is on can I still put my laptop in my sonnet sleeve? Its a real tight fit I'm wondering if it will move the shield while going in... Here is how the sleeve looks:

MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D
320GB HDD
4GB RAM
256MB VRAM

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2008, 02:53 PM

The shield won't move even if the sleeve case is a very tight fit. Once the water has evaporated, the shield is firmly glued on. You can still remove it by peeling it off, but it takes effort. Normal usage won't displace the shield at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules