Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PM8100/100AV start up?

PM8100/100AV start up?
Glenstorm
May 5, 2001, 12:03 PM

I just picked up an 8100/100 AV on the side of the road... It chimes when I turn it on, but then it just sits there. No, flashing ? disk. I have tried booting from CD, putting in an alternative HD with system and nothing... What else should I check? I have reseated the AV card multiple times. Any thoughts?

Would a dead battery cause this?

[This message has been edited by Glenstorm (edited 05-05-2001).]

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
May 6, 2001, 07:38 PM

yes.
i had a 6100 that would do the same thing, until i changed the battery. than it worked fine. try thay, im unsure of anything else you can do, as you only get a grey screen...

sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2001, 09:46 PM

I've had similar situations with batteries. Revived many a dead mac this way.

If you got an 8100 for free because someone didn't know to change the battery, you're a lucky guy.

saschaleib
May 8, 2001, 08:39 AM

Hm, I know about a PowerBook Duo which seems to have the same problem. Maybe I could have it for an apple and an egg.. gotta try it :-)

/sascha

sascha
May 8, 2001, 08:40 AM

Hm, why isn't this *'!?? login working.. sorry..

/sascha

Glenstorm  (op)
May 9, 2001, 12:39 AM

I have replaced the battery. It still doesn't work. Argh! I am using the AV card' monitor port and wondering if the card is bad. Unfortunately I don't have one of those proprietary Monitor plugs that come with this machine. Any other thoughts? Thanks so far!

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2001, 12:41 AM

take the battery out and look on the motherboard for a tiny little reset switch..that might help

then put the battery back

and you could also disconnect everything but the floppy drive and see if it will start up and then add stuff back once at a time.

etphonehome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2001, 05:31 PM

Maybe you should try taking the video card out and then putting it back in. It might not be seated correctly and taking it out and replacing it might help.

Also, it's possible that if the monitor you're trying with it is newer than the machine itself, the video card might not support the monitor.

When I read your first post, "dead battery" popped right into my head, but it probably isn't that since you tried replacing the battery.

It's also possible that there isn't a system folder on the hard drive. If this is the case, you should be able to start up from a floppy disk.

------------------
"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?"
<font color = blue>"Thank god for adequacy.</font> <font color = green>It gives people who </font><font color = red>suck </font><font color = green>something to strive for."</font>

[email protected]

Glenstorm  (op)
May 11, 2001, 02:06 PM

I've gutted the whole thing and am down to the barebones. Motherboard, AV card, and floppy drive. I've even removed all extra RAM. No dice. In fact now I've lost the gray screen. It is just black now. Argghh! It seems we have covered most of the possible problems. Any last resorts? Thanks

Dan

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 11, 2001, 03:03 PM

Hi Dan,
Sounds like you have covered all of your bases... one other possibility... the ROM chip might be unseated, or defective... check to see if it is down all the way...
just my two cents... (which isn't very much :-)
dave

Glenstorm  (op)
May 12, 2001, 04:39 PM

Well, that was the trick... The ROM was loose. Thanks to all who helped out!

[This message has been edited by Glenstorm (edited 05-15-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules