Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Paris Keynote....how long before?

Paris Keynote....how long before?
aktive
Sep 5, 2003, 02:03 PM

Hi there,

I'm going to my first Expo next week in Paris and I'm all signed up and ready for the keynote (got my pass through the post yesterday)

Just wanted some advice from those of you that have been to 'stevenotes' in the past. How long before the start time (10am) do I need to arrive to ensure a) I get in (its first come first serve for seats) and b) that I get good seats (not in the rafters)? How big have the queues been for past expos?

Thanks for your help, don't think I could stand going all the way to Paris and then not getting in to the keynote because I turned up to late.

I appreciate all the help I can get

Thanks

Richard
"...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do."

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2003, 02:21 PM

I don't know about Paris, but in NY there was always a VERY long line. Some people would get there 6 hours before.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by starman:
I don't know about Paris, but in NY there was always a VERY long line. Some people would get there 6 hours before.

Mike
Yeah, when I went to the 2000 keynote in NY I got there at 5:30AM (keynote started at 9) and there were already about 500 people there. The line grew really really quickly after I got there.

christ
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2003, 02:54 PM

I can't help with the timing, but I offer a warning. Don't expect Europeans to queue in an orderly fashion like you do in the UK - be prepared to fight to stand your ground. I am willing to bet that at least some folk get in that turn up 5 minutes before and just push their way through.

(Unless a stevenote has better trained queue guards than anything I have ever seen in Europe)
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2003, 04:28 PM

Definately get there EARLY!!!! I went to the 1999 & 2000 Keynotes and had to get there like 5:30 in order to get a decent spot.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
Yeah, when I went to the 2000 keynote in NY I got there at 5:30AM (keynote started at 9) and there were already about 500 people there. The line grew really really quickly after I got there.
Yeah, but it's really easy get in without waiting in line. I just waited until the crazily long line started filtering in, and started walking next to the line, matched pace, and just fed myself in. Worked great, and no sleep deprivation!
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2003, 05:06 PM

One other thing:

Once you get in there, reach under your chair and see if anything is stuck to the bottom.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Speckledstone
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2003, 05:21 PM

How early should you get there? Hmm... I haven�t been around MacNN for a while, but I�d say pretty damn early...

A few months ago it sounded like 75% of European MacNN�ers were ready to lynch Jobs because the iTunes Music Store is an �U.S. only� service. You may have to wade through the long line, and an angry mob as well.

willed
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2003, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by Speckledstone:

A few months ago it sounded like 75% of European MacNN�ers were ready to lynch Jobs because the iTunes Music Store is an �U.S. only� service. You may have to wade through the long line, and an angry mob as well.
bring a pitch-fork

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2003, 01:18 AM

Get ready... there will be a line... and then all the natives will just walk to the front and push their way in... it's F@#$ing crazy...

Everyone from the civilized world just stands where and says "what just happened?" while they just went from #50 to #500 in line...

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2003, 12:28 PM

Getting there early is good advice.

If you happen to have a Pro pass then you woulf be all set. At MWNY 2002 they had special reserved seating for us up front!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Forum Links
Forum Rules