Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Why is the mid-range new iMac so crappy?

Why is the mid-range new iMac so crappy?
Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2002, 06:25 PM

Apple is usually pretty smart in how they set up the differences between models of their computers. That is, if one is looking at purchasing an Apple computer, one can usually justify buying the mid-range or high-end models over the low-end ones. I think with the new iMac Apple's pricing-to-hardware scheme is not the best it could have been.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the new iMac, I just think there is little reason why anyone would buy the mid-range model.

Specifically, the mid-range model (Combo drive model) does not have hardware that is significantly better than the low-end. Or put in another way, for another $200, the hardware you get with the mid-range model doesn't justify the increase in price, in my opinion. An extra 128 MB RAM is practically free (around $30 right now). No faster processor, no more hard drive space, only a DVD player for the equivalent of $170 and the Pro Speakers. Considering most people are buying stand-alone DVD players for less than $170, the "combo" in combo drive is not that special.

If people go through that logic when purchasing the new iMac, they're left with two choices: either the low-end model or the high-end. Obviously most people will want to save money and will purchase the low-end. Therefore, Apple's income from iMac sales should be lower than what it would have been had the hardware in the mid-range model been actually worth spending the extra $200 for.

Even the high-end model could have sported a processor that is even more faster than only 100 MHz over the other two models, plus more RAM.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Phat Bastard ]
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2002, 06:48 PM

I disagree, I think another two hundred is right for another 128MB of ram (in Apple's World), pro speakers, and a combo CDRW-DVD player. Some people out there have no need for a DVD burner and actually what to watch movies on their computers, and of course you need the speakers for that. I do know were you are coming from, but I know also know people who were really upset when Apple got rid of the DVD on the original iMac. I believe there is a market and $200 will work for them.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2002, 06:53 PM

I agree with slider. I just wish they made a combo drive iMac with th 800mhz g4.

<2_lazy_to_sign_in>
Jan 10, 2002, 07:18 PM

It's good to get that 256 MB of RAM, because you cannot upgrade the internal RAM chip. You have to have a tech do it.

Some people actually use these things to watch DVDs too. Maybe in a small room, office, etc. I know I'll use mine in the office.

I agree though - a combo drive with a 800 MHz processor and 60 GB HD would be SWEET.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2002, 09:21 PM

In the mid model the CD burner is half the speed as the low end.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

<Mamma Jamma>
Jan 10, 2002, 09:44 PM

Unfortunately, as with everything it seems, there are trade-offs with a combo drive. 12x CD-R burning is nothing to be ashamed of, however. I personally don't think the mid-range iMac will be a top seller because not many people enjoy watching DVD's on a small screen. I feel combo drives are more suitable for laptops because laptops are often used for entertainment on long trips(plane rides, long car rides, etc.).

<Jake2K2>
Jan 10, 2002, 09:52 PM

I agree, the midrange model is indeed the least-good value.

They're charging you $200 for the following:

* Pro Speakers ($59 on da Apple Store)
* 128 MB more RAM ($26 at MacSolutions.com)
* the difference between a CDRW and a Combo drive (about $40 from the last tech article I read on the subject)

Total: about $115

So, yeah, in comparision to the low-end and high-end models, they're milking it.

Too bad too-- the midrange model has a very attractive features mix...the swingarm LCD and speakers just purr "watch DVD movies on me while laying in bed"...

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2002, 10:57 PM

I wish apple got more competitive withe ram issue.

Low end 256 mb

Middle 384

High 512

Would be nice
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

<Jake 2k2>
Jan 11, 2002, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Rob van dam:
<STRONG>I wish apple got more competitive withe ram issue.

Low end 256 mb

Middle 384

High 512

Would be nice</STRONG>

Don't think they can do that. I think the new iMac has only one RAM slot.

<Skibum_60>
Jan 11, 2002, 05:19 PM

The new iMac has 2 ram slots, however only one of them is user upgradable. The other must be accessed by a tech.

<wiggles>
Jan 11, 2002, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Skibum_60&gt;:
<STRONG>The new iMac has 2 ram slots, however only one of them is user upgradable. The other must be accessed by a tech.</STRONG>
Whoever heard of RAM only upgradeable by a tech?

I know of blonde women who can upgrade their own RAM on the PC! (In fact I recently dated one.)

Get with the times Apple!

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2002, 06:45 PM

I know of blonde women who can upgrade their own RAM on the PC! (In fact I recently dated one.)
Yeah right, you dont have a life. I have a solution...go jump off a cliff. Everyone will be happy.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2002, 06:46 PM

Please, stop posting. You can go out and help the Windows world with your useless PC information, because you seem to know nothing about the Mac.

EDIT: typo

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Jansar ]
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

VanToffler
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2002, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by &lt;wiggles&gt;:
<STRONG>

Get with the times Apple!</STRONG>

Wiggs, I have never heard of a blow-up woman that could upgrade RAM, much less operate a PC. I'm very impressed, why did you let her go? What happened? Did she spring a leak?

Phat Bastard  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2002, 08:57 PM

Too funny. =)
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

<Jake 2k2>
Jan 11, 2002, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by &lt;wiggles&gt;:
<STRONG>

Get with the times Apple!</STRONG>

Wiggles, you've never even met a woman, much less a blonde one

Forum Links
Forum Rules