Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Where to stay in greater London in late summer.

Where to stay in greater London in late summer.
mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2018, 08:49 PM

So I’m tentitively planning a trip I’ve been wanting to do for years and feel I’m at a now or never juncture.

The core point of the trip is to go to Belfast N. Ireland. Ever since I was about 5 years old and saw the National Geographic doc on the finding of the Titanic (I watched it over and over again the way some kids would watch the latest Disney Epic), I can't explain it as I don’t have relatives or family connections I know of tied to the city, but for lack of better description, I’ve always just had this need to go there.

I also figured since I’m going so far, I should check out other parts of the UK and some of Europe too while I’m in the neighborhood.

I don’t have dates set, the initial idea I’m working on now would to fly PHX to LHR, which scores me a ride on 747 before they’re retired. Then to a flight from LCY to BHD, spend a few days there relieving that itch.

Then either fly or take ferry back to the “big island” (maybe to Liverpool for some more Titanic nostalgia and the Beatles too) and if not directly to London, take train down, then catching a Eurostar to Paris for 2 days, before returning to London and staying there for a few days before returning home.

As I know we’ll all travel like this is exspensive, but London especially looking at advanced booking rates.

Alas I feel I’m too old for a hostel despite being youthful and it sounding like a lot of fun. What properties would you suggest I look at? I’m not picky on features or super comforts. As long as it’s safe, quiet, or turn my wallet to ashes, I’m happy.

Any other recommendations for the trip over all are welcome too
iGeek

OreoCookie
Mar 10, 2018, 09:53 PM

As for accommodations, give Airbnb a try. I almost exclusively book accommodations with Airbnb when I travel (which I do quite regularly), from Incheon, Korea, Santiago de Chile, Tokyo, Osaka to Vienna. You can book everything from a shared room to a luxury apartment for yourself. I usually book entire apartments, and the rates are much cheaper than hotels. And I vastly prefer staying in apartments.

You should get some advice on what part of town you should stay in, and while I have been in London more than 3 times, I don't feel qualified to give you advice here. But as a rule of thumb, as long as you stay close to a subway stop, you should be fine.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2018, 10:15 PM

It depends what you want to see and do in London but don't forget the UK is tiny compared to the US. You could stay a little outside of London and trains in are still pretty cheap and fast.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2018, 06:19 AM

Find an Airbandb in Hampstead. There's a reason it's the most sought after part of London.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

mac-at-kearsarge  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2018, 08:48 PM

Thank you all for the advice. It does look like AirBNB is the way to go.

Now to find place sufficiently close to the tube/train/DLR/overground/Elizabeth Line (formally Cross Rail)/Emirates Air Line. Fortunately, the UK has much netter public transport availability or so it seems, so it should be a problem.
iGeek

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2018, 04:56 AM

London has decent public transport. Elsewhere your mileage will vary greatly.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules