Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > There's Moore: Roy, AL, & the Election

There's Moore: Roy, AL, & the Election (Page 2)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2017, 04:16 PM

Is your not responding to this thread after two days of harassing me to respond some type of passive-aggressive revenge or something else I'm missing?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2017, 08:34 PM

Oh, god no.

I’ve been trying to come up with the best way to make my argument. It goes poorly. Spent a good couple hours today and wasn’t happy with it. At some point, I’ll either get it right or go with what I have.

To be clear, I was harassing you to respond because I was completely devastated.

If I do anything here it’s trying my very best to argue in good faith, and I was being called a total failure.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2017, 11:14 PM

Well just to reiterate, I'm not looking for you to redefine your argument – I want freakin' straight answers to those questions posed about your initial argument.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2017, 11:24 PM

To put today's news in perspective, there's a faction of republicans who so desperately want to put a pedophile in the senate they resorted to have a woman fake getting sexually assaulted to try and discredit those women who were probably genuinely assaulted by him.

#asymmetricalpolarization

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2017, 11:33 PM

Oh, and GOP AL Senator Shelby apparently has more principle than his constituents, which is really confusing (didn't vote for Moore).

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2017, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Well just to reiterate, I'm not looking for you to redefine your argument – I want freakin' straight answers to those questions posed about your initial argument.
It’s related. I’m ultimately arguing conservative Christians are just as pragmatic as I am.

My experience with conservative Christians is what they consider best for society is more important than the divine mandate.

If Cruz appears to be more behind the divine mandate than others, it’s because it serves the purpose of what he thinks is best for society.

Note, Cruz didn’t condemn Moore, he said maybe he should be condemned.

Cruz is a smart guy. He knows there won’t be enough evidence to pin Moore down on 30 year old allegations.

And let’s call a spade a spade. Show of hands who would be surprised to find out a man of such pious nature has side-pieces?

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2017, 06:33 AM

To clarify this point, what I'm saying is there is a string contingent (such as Ted Cruz) who view themselves as Christians first, Republicans second. I do not believe a Christian would knowingly out a child predator in a position of power, no matter the reason.
This aged poorly.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2017, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
This aged poorly.
I think it was incorrect to start. Cruz supported Trump for Prez to begin with. Also, it's Ted Cruz.

The underlying point remains, however.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2017, 03:07 PM

So Trump has finally endorsed Moore, the week before the election. I'm guessing the WH figures they can dodge any questions about it for a week and once he gets elected, brush them off as 'the people of alabama have spoken.'

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2017, 09:25 PM

I think it was incorrect to start. Cruz supported Trump for Prez to begin with. Also, it's Ted Cruz.
Wat

I didn’t choose Ted Cruz as the example for making the point.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2017, 10:33 AM

I know. I'm saying I ****ed up from the get go.

We're already repeating 2016. RNC back to supporting Moore after pulled by out a few weeks ago. Only the bar has been lowered more.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2017, 01:04 PM

All I know is that after electing Trump as POTUS and in all likelihood Moore as a US Senator the GOP should just STFU about "morality" from here on out.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2017, 01:12 PM

That was last year. This year its fiscal conservatism.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2017, 01:26 AM

Young Republicans in AL weren't having any of the endorse a predator nonsense and some people are trying to punish them hard for it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2017, 12:45 PM

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2017, 01:09 PM

And if being a grown man in his 30s with a penchant for teenage girls at best and a straight up child molester at worse isn't bad enough for you ... this fool actually had the nerve to say this. In public. To an African-American audience member!

Alabama’s Republican candidate for Senate, Roy Moore, says America needs to be a bit more like it was when it had slaves.

This is not a joke or exaggeration. When asked earlier this year when America was last great, Moore acknowledged, according to the Los Angeles Times, that the country had a history of racial tensions. Then he answered the question: “I think it was great at the time when families were united — even though we had slavery — they cared for one another. … Our families were strong, our country had a direction.”

The quote comes from a Los Angeles Times report published in September, but it was recently resurfaced by a viral tweet from former Obama administration official Eric Columbus.

There are so many problems with this remark that it’s hard to know where to start.

For one, which families, exactly, were “united” and “strong,” as Moore claims? Black families were regularly torn apart — and tortured — by slave masters at the time. Slaves often couldn’t even marry, because their marriages were legally considered void.

Moore’s comment also lays bare what “make America great again” really means. Progressives have long asked when, exactly, America was so much better than it is today.

When black people were slaves? When the country committed genocide and ethnic cleansing against Native Americans? Was it when the country looked the other way as white supremacists lynched thousands of black people? When women and black people were denied the right to vote? When black people were legally barred from white-only schools and restaurants?

Was it when women were thwarted from having meaningful careers? When same-sex couples couldn’t get married, or even go out into public holding hands without fearing for their safety? The list could really go on. (And some of these still apply today.)

These were all horrible periods for many Americans. The rhetoric of “make America great again” suggests that those Americans — black, Native American, LGBTQ, women, and so on — just don’t matter, or at least that their plights could be overlooked for whatever benefits the country was supposedly producing — for white men — back then.

Moore is essentially saying that it’s possible to overlook America’s original sin. The time of slavery is the time of great things he wants us to look back to.
Roy Moore: America “was great at the time when families were united — even though we had slavery” | Vox.com

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2017, 01:35 PM

He meant WHITE families were united.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2017, 10:05 PM

Doesn’t anyone realize what appeals to him about this time period is nobody cared if you banged a 14-year-old?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2017, 10:42 PM

Twitter did.

andi*pandi
Dec 12, 2017, 02:27 PM

I sure hope he gets to use his Jewish lawyer™ during a legal defense.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2017, 07:05 PM

Aside from being a terrible candidate, Moore also has some of the most incompetent spokespeople I've ever seen.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2017, 10:42 PM

He's winning easily at the moment and his lead is increasing every time I check.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2017, 10:43 PM

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...ords-in-senate
The Alabama Supreme Court has reportedly stayed a lower court’s order to election officials that would have required the preservation of voting records in Tuesday’s Senate special election.

A circuit judge on Monday ordered election officials to set voting machines to save all digital ballot images, which would preserve voting records in the event of a recount.
I don't even...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2017, 11:09 PM

The count has gotten interesting now. 0.5% in it. 85% returned. 5k votes between them.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2017, 11:44 PM

I'm ****ing stunned. It's amazing, seismic and depressing.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2017, 12:10 AM

Depressing?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2017, 12:28 AM

Its a Christmas miracle?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2017, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Depressing?
A racist, sexist, homophobic, islamaphobic sexual predator who does not properly understand the constitution and was generically crazy almost won a federal office against a gun-toting law and order candidate with no scandals or skeletons in the closet.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2017, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Its a Christmas miracle?
Yes, exactly.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2017, 10:15 AM

A racist, sexist, homophobic, islamaphobic sexual predator who does not properly understand the constitution and was generically crazy almost won a federal office against a gun-toting law and order candidate with no scandals or skeletons in the closet.
I saw a chart that said 76% of white males voted for Moore.....no idea if that is actually true because it didn’t seem to have a citation, but would that surprise anyone?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2017, 10:37 AM

When people say the GOP is the party of white males, the demographics bear it out.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2017, 07:27 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2017, 07:30 PM

It's a commentary on their policies reflecting their largest constituency, not a scientific analysis.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2017, 09:10 PM

Something a little more scientific: https://twitter.com/matthewjdowd
A very interesting piece of data from Alabama exit polls: evangelical white women 76 - 22 Moore; non-evangelical white women 74 - 21 Jones! That is a huge huge differential.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2017, 09:26 PM

Also, last night showed how gerrymandered AL is.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.64a664200ea7
Preliminary Alabama election numbers crunched by J. Miles Coleman of Decision Desk HQ reveal something astonishing: Democrat Doug Jones lost in six of Alabama's seven congressional districts, but he still managed to beat Roy Moore by 1.5 percentage points in the entire state.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2017, 10:28 PM

It’d be interesting to see turnout figures for white voters in comparison to recent election cycles to compare against these figures.

According to CNN exit polling, 30 percent of the electorate was African-American, with 96 percent of them voting for Mr. Jones. (Mr. Jones’s backers had felt he needed to get north of 25 percent to have a shot to win.) A remarkable 98 percent of black women voters supported Mr. Jones. The share of black voters on Tuesday was higher than the share in 2008 and 2012, when Barack Obama was on the ballot.
In Alabama, Blacks Saw a Vote Against Moore as a Vote Against Turning Back the Clock | NYTimes.com

OAW

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2017, 10:47 PM

Oh man, that video of Moore’s campaign (advisor?) interview with CNN about senators having to swear on the bible....incredible. Beautiful. The culmination of hundreds of years of xenophobia, racism and stupidity, all on display in one slack-jawed hick yokel stare.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2017, 11:26 PM

My mother has little knowledge of interest of American politics but our news services have been showing footage of Roy Moore riding around and she did not like the way he treats his horses. Another black mark on his character.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2017, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
It’d be interesting to see turnout figures for white voters in comparison to recent election cycles to compare against these figures.

In Alabama, Blacks Saw a Vote Against Moore as a Vote Against Turning Back the Clock | NYTimes.com

OAW
I mean, obviously Jones won because white turnout sank while AA turnout rose.

Originally Posted by The Final Shortcut View Post
Oh man, that video of Moore’s campaign (advisor?) interview with CNN about senators having to swear on the bible....incredible. Beautiful. The culmination of hundreds of years of xenophobia, racism and stupidity, all on display in one slack-jawed hick yokel stare.
I love that his answer was to pivot to Trump

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 4, 2018, 06:44 PM

andi*pandi
Jan 5, 2018, 09:45 PM

Christian Messianic Jew... arguable to count him as a jew. It's a stretch, really.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 23, 2018, 10:13 PM

Alabama House approves bill ending special elections for appointments to the U.S. Senate 67-31. Goes to the Alabama Senate. #alpolitics
Alabama is so butthurt over a fluke election they're trying to cancel any that might occur in the future.

Forum Links
Forum Rules