Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mac pro gtx285

mac pro gtx285
gangster
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2011, 09:52 AM

was the gtx285 only available with 1 GB memory or did they sell it with 896 MB also? I see 896 MB models advertised on ebay but am concerned that they are just a modified/flashed gtx275.

thanks in advance.

P
Sep 6, 2011, 10:05 AM

GTX285 only existed in 1 GB and 2 GB versions. Any nVidia card but the most recent models must have "balanced" memory setups, ie the same amount of memory on each memory channel. The GTX285 has an insane 8 64-bit memory channels with 128 MB on each. The GTX275 has one memory channel disabled, so gets 7*128MB=896MB.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

gangster  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2011, 09:29 PM

would the gtx285 be an upgrade from the hd5770 or is the newer 5770 about the same?

thanks

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2011, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by gangster View Post
would the gtx285 be an upgrade from the hd5770 or is the newer 5770 about the same?

thanks
Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart : Best Graphics Cards For The Money: August 2011
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

gangster  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2011, 07:27 PM

thanks for the quick reply, i appreciate it.

i found the gtx285 896mb model i own to have an evga gtx285 label in the bios, not gtx275. don't know if it was hacked or not, guessing it may have been. also, the clocks were correct for a gtx285 (non-overclock model) from evga. in other words, i think i have a gtx285 with a little less memory, not a gtx275. are there any other differences between the models?

anyone had any experience with this before?

thanks in advance.

P
Sep 14, 2011, 04:34 AM

You most likely have GTX 275 that was reflashed with a GTX 285 BIOS. This has increased the clocks to 285 standard, but has not restored the disabled units. This shows the differences.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules