Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" powerbook - 867mhz vs 1ghz

12" powerbook - 867mhz vs 1ghz
n3rdi3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2003, 11:07 AM

I'm looking into purchasing a 12" powerbook but can't seem to decide between the 867mhz and 1ghz model. Apple currently has the refurbished 867mhz listed as $1,199.00 so I could use the extra money to upgrade the RAM and install an Airport Extreme card. I plan on using it for graphic design, email, web browsing, watching dvds, etc and plan on doing quite a bit of travel with it. The main reason I'm leaning more towards the 867mhz model is that I know Apple could release something new that I may like. Not only that, but just in case I loose or break the PowerBook wasting the $1,199.00 won't feel as horrible as $1,599.00. Now, the 1ghz model offers the extra 200mhz, L2 cache and DVI. Only problems there would be the extra RAM and Airport Extreme card would push up the price and may be a tad bit too much at what I'm looking to spend. Price isn't a huge concern but I'd like a decent unit that will last me at least a few years.

I'm just wondering if anyone could offer some opinions to help me out with my purchase. Perhaps even some personal experience with either of these 12" PowerBook models would also be helpful. I'll be a switcher so want to make a good choice on my first mac. Thanks everyone!
</n3rdi3>

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2003, 11:18 AM

I went with the 1.0 GHz because of the DVI. I wanted the option of being able to connect to an ACD. If that is something you want to have in the future, then go with the 1.0 GHz. I am sure that you can get the AE Card from Apple as a refurb item. As for the RAM, you don't have to get that from Apple and pay their prices. There are less expensive, great quality RAM out there. If you're worried about losing or breaking the PowerBook, look into getting a separate insurance policy, e.g. members on this board recommends www.safeware.com. Personally, I went with State Farm. You have multiple options.

In the end, choose what you really want and can afford. But if you want the option of connecting an ACD in the future, go with the 1.0 GHz. I am glad I did.

Oh and welcome to the board.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

n3rdi3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2003, 04:12 AM

///Milien - Thank you kindly for the reply. Since I plan on getting the 23" Apple display in the near future, I guess my best bet would be the 1ghz model.
</n3rdi3>

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2003, 09:29 AM

No problem. You won't be disappointed with the 1GHz PB 12. I have mine conencted to an ACD 20 at the office

 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by ///Milien:
No problem. You won't be disappointed with the 1GHz PB 12. I have mine conencted to an ACD 20 at the office
Wow, AWESOME pictures ///Milien!

ddma
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 12:03 PM

Great setup! Like the big 20 inch Cinema Display and the Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse! But the only down side is the slot loading drive is on the right, instead of the front.

I wonder if the foot gap would be enough for a 15 inch PowerBook? I wanna do the same thing as you.

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 12:22 PM

There are many numerous advantages of the 1ghz also. The biggest being the heat issue was fixed.

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2003, 12:26 PM

The footgap on the 20 ACD can fit the PB17 (tightly though) so the PB 15 is no problem at all. I don't use the SuperDrive much when I am in the office, so there's really no problem there. The Apple BT keyboard and mouse works great.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 09:30 AM

Those are B-EAU-TI-FUL pictures!

I would also recommend the PowerBook G4/12" over the PowerBook G4/867, unless at that price you get the SuperDrive already. I've looked at some reviews of the PowerBook 867 and found out that it doesn't do too well in graphics (3D) because of its video card. The PowerBook G4/12" 1GHz overall has a much better feature set.

Save up a bit more for the 1GHz model. You'll be mighty pleased you did.

Now again, those pictures are simply STUNNING!

Macdizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2003, 10:01 AM

Hi, Milien, a bit OT. Can you tell me how you could use the BT keyboard/mouse with the lid closed? How do you keep the PB awake without a USB mouse or keyboard plugged in? My PB goes to sleep each time I close the lid, and hence my BT mouse/keyboard do not work even though it is connected to the external Sony LCD. Thanks.

beijinger
Nov 26, 2003, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Macdizzy:
Hi, Milien, a bit OT. Can you tell me how you could use the BT keyboard/mouse with the lid closed? How do you keep the PB awake without a USB mouse or keyboard plugged in? My PB goes to sleep each time I close the lid, and hence my BT mouse/keyboard do not work even though it is connected to the external Sony LCD. Thanks.
Wake up the external with the bluetooth keyboard or mouse with the lid closed by click on the mouse or hitting return on the keyboard. When using the mouse, make sure your mouse is on the external moniter when you put your pb to sleep. When i do this with my PB 1.33 and external 17 external display, it works perfectly.

pharmelink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2003, 11:15 AM

When an Apple DVI monitor is connected to a 12 PB, do the USB ports on the monitor still work?

(hope to get the setup very soon)
''
Thanks

Paul

hamiltondj
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 12:12 PM

I got a 12" DVI yesterday for this very purpose. I saw these pics and said to myself that's the set-up that would be perfect for me.

Slightly off topic, I'm selling my old 12" 867 superdrive down in the marketplace forum. I'm looking to sell it quickly so check it out.

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2003, 12:22 PM

To wake up using BT, go into Systems Preferences -> Bluetooth -> Settings and make sure to check the box to allow BT to wake up the computer.

USB ports on the monitor still works as long as you plug the USB connection from the ACD->DVI converter into the USB port on the PB.

I love the set-up of the PB with an ACD. It works so well, I decided to sell my PB17.

Macdizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2003, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by ///Milien:
To wake up using BT, go into Systems Preferences -> Bluetooth -> Settings and make sure to check the box to allow BT to wake up the computer.

USB ports on the monitor still works as long as you plug the USB connection from the ACD->DVI converter into the USB port on the PB.

I love the set-up of the PB with an ACD. It works so well, I decided to sell my PB17.
Strange, the box which says 'Allow BT devices to wake this computer' is grayed out. I can't check it. Any idea why? I have already connected the mouse/keyboard.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 03:26 PM

there was an update not long ago that improved wake-from-sleep for bluetooth HID's.
do you have it ?
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2003, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by Macdizzy:
Strange, the box which says 'Allow BT devices to wake this computer' is grayed out. I can't check it. Any idea why? I have already connected the mouse/keyboard.
Is your BT built-in or the DLink BT? If it is the DLink BT, then that box will be grayed out.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2003, 06:22 PM

oddly enough, my BT is built in and this box is greyed out on mine as well....maybe it only works if i have mouse turned on?
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Macdizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2003, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by Sarc:
there was an update not long ago that improved wake-from-sleep for bluetooth HID's.
do you have it ?
My Software Update indicates that I have all updates fully installed. Is there an update for bluetooth that has to be done separate from Software Update?

My BT mouse/keyboard/external LCD are all attached and work great if I don't close the lid of the PB, but the moment I do so, the PB does a rip van winkle.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 11:12 PM

Aren't the G4 12" Powerbook G4 870 mhz Rev A machines all USB 1..

and the NEW G4 REv B (the newer ones with the 1 ghz G4 chip built with USB2?

That would be a factor for using external hard drives/camera's etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules