Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Back-uo Ruined my PB 12 and I need help.

Back-uo Ruined my PB 12 and I need help.
JasonBourne
Mar 12, 2004, 05:18 PM

I only have at least 5 gigs left on my HD on my powerbook and I attached the external firewire HD for back-up and then I drag at least 20 gigs of old files to the Trash. Then started to transfer new files for back-up. I leave my PB on battery power and forgot to empty 20 gigs of files from the trash. My computer went to sleep after I forgot about it and I plug in for power my PB was frozen, so restart my computer and I only see the apple logo and thats it. I tried everything but I only see the apple logo. Safe mode dont work/Single user mode wont work/Target Disk wont work/Disk utility wont work/Diagnostic CD shows HD failure.
Now my questions are: can this thing be fixed with software utility/If I need a need a new HD where can I buy one and instruction how to change it since my warranty expired last month. Apple rep told me if they do it would cost me $349.00. Or dont spend anything save the money for G5 powerbook. Pls. help.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2004, 06:20 PM

MacOS X needs at least 10% (maybe 2 GB?) of free space to work, so if you maxed out your HD, that might be the problem.

Can you boot from the system software install CD? If so, and if you've got everything backed up, then reformat the drive and reinstall.

Otherwise: You should get DiskWarrior and try to boot from the CD to repair the HD. Check how much empty HD space you have!

Finally: Put a larger HD in. They're cheap nowadays, and you can put your original HD (once you've resurrected it) into an external firewire case.

JasonBourne  (op)
Mar 12, 2004, 06:33 PM

I can boot to system CD but the problem is when it time to checked my disk my computer froze. I dont have empty disk space since I move 20 gigs to trash.
Regarding HD replacement where can I buy one and where can I get instruction how to change it.

Originally posted by amazing:
MacOS X needs at least 10% (maybe 2 GB?) of free space to work, so if you maxed out your HD, that might be the problem.

Can you boot from the system software install CD? If so, and if you've got everything backed up, then reformat the drive and reinstall.

Otherwise: You should get DiskWarrior and try to boot from the CD to repair the HD. Check how much empty HD space you have!

Finally: Put a larger HD in. They're cheap nowadays, and you can put your original HD (once you've resurrected it) into an external firewire case.

JasonBourne  (op)
Mar 12, 2004, 06:43 PM

Is changing PB12 HD easy?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2004, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by JasonBourne:
Is changing PB12 HD easy?
Not as easy as on the Ti powerbooks. Apple doesn't consider a hard drive a customer installable part.

You can buy a hard drive and then take it and the computer to an Apple authorized service provider and have them put it in. It would be cheaper than having Apple provide the drive too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules