Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Résumé examples

Résumé examples
sdilley14
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2010, 10:24 AM

Do any of you have examples of great résumés or know where I could find some? I want to dust off my old résumé and give it an update/facelift. I'm pretty happy with my job and I wouldn't say that I'm actively looking for new employment per se, but I do think it's a good idea to keep an eye on the job market around you and make sure you are getting the maximum compensation and fulfillment in your career. I think keeping yourself marketable and current in your career industry is a good thing.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

PB2K
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2010, 10:27 AM

First !

( 45 resume's )
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2010, 10:55 AM

Wow, lots of awesome looking resumés. A bit flashier than what I'm looking for though. I need something that is a little cleaner, more traditional, and business oriented...though I do want it to be creative and eye catching at the same time too. I don't want the Plain Jane, Microsoft Word template résumé...the type that employers see hundreds of each day. :/

This is actually the posting I'm going to respond to...

Business Analyst II
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

PB2K
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2010, 11:43 AM

my advice : use Pages from the iWork 2009 suite, the templates look quite neat compared to Word

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
my advice : use Pages from the iWork 2009 suite, the templates look quite neat compared to Word
I agree with your advice. Pages has some pretty professional and snazzy looking templates.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2010, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look when I get home from work tonight.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2010, 01:11 PM

First !

( 45 resume's )
Absolutely useless for the OP (in light of the targeted position as a Business Analyst).

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2010, 01:15 PM

My #1 tip for resumes and interviews:

STAR !

Whatever you write and talk about, follow this outline

S ituation
T ask
A action
R esult

If you can bring that across, you will score. For the resume, focus on Action and Result
A STARed resume will draw attention. Never just list your past duties w/o refering to the Achievements and Results.

Situation, Task, Action, Result - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-t

andi*pandi
Aug 3, 2010, 02:11 PM

I'm a designer and most of those in that 45 link are just over the top and illegible. Maybe for illustrators some could be ok, but you still need to find the info.

Think readable type size, clean font, no heavy backgrounds, and for business you can't really go wrong. Think more about your spellcheck than your template.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2010, 02:42 PM

Would you recommend any sort of light background and/or graphic on a business resume, or stick with solid white? Also, would you suggest a particular font? I'm using Calibri right now for both section headers and body text (trying to stay as uniform as possible keeping same fonts throughout). Section headers are slightly larger with a dark blue color, body text is a bit smaller, indented. Looks to be a pretty standard resume with a clean, modern touch to it.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Would you recommend any sort of light background and/or graphic on a business resume,
Hell no. For your line of work, that's unprofessional.

-t

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2010, 04:23 PM

That's what I thought, just making sure I wasn't being old fashioned or out of touch. It's been a few years since I've updated this thing.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2010, 05:06 PM

No more then 2 pages long.

-Q-
Aug 3, 2010, 05:15 PM

I'll also recommend the templates in Pages - got quite a few compliments on how the resume looked when I used one.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2010, 06:05 PM

As of right now I have "Objective", "Personal Profile", "Experience, "Education", and "Software/Hardware Skills" on the first page and "References" on the second page. Would you suggest utilizing the second page for more information, or keeping it simple and saving the second page for references only? Also, how many references would you suggest? I have three professional references listed now.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2010, 07:48 PM

In my experience, when I listed family members as references, that didn’t bode so well. I usually have the last 5 bosses contacts for references.

Oh, and this might seem tacky to some, but I’ve gotten more call backs with résumés that have my photo attached.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2010, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Would you recommend any sort of light background and/or graphic on a business resume, or stick with solid white? Also, would you suggest a particular font? I'm using Calibri right now for both section headers and body text (trying to stay as uniform as possible keeping same fonts throughout). Section headers are slightly larger with a dark blue color, body text is a bit smaller, indented. Looks to be a pretty standard resume with a clean, modern touch to it.
I just use Helvetica Neue.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2010, 12:10 PM

with not much to do at my regular office job I am also polishing my resumee. I used the business template from Pages 2009. I wonder if iWork 2010 will have better ones.

Is it wiser not to mention your last fulltime job at all because it might appear one got demoted compared to what one did before ?
( Last edited by PB2K; Aug 5, 2010 at 02:45 AM. )

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2010, 11:02 AM

with not much to do at my regular office job I am also polishing my resumee. I used the business template from Pages 2009. I wonder if iWork 2010 will have better ones.

Is it wiser not to mention your last fulltime job at all because it might appear one got demoted compared to what one did before ?
Given the market I think employers are more flexible in understanding jobs that were shorter in duration, further from your field of interest, and slightly below your skill/qualification level.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules