Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Order or wait?

View Poll Results: Should I order a MacBook or wait for Merom?
Poll Options:
Yeah, just order one Core Duo is sweet 38 votes (55.07%)
Chill out, C2D is worth waiting for 31 votes (44.93%)
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll
Order or wait? (Page 2)
Berberman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2006, 06:00 AM

I wish that read Apple prepares for Core 2 Duo MacBook ramp ....

The more I read the more that sony vaio FE looks good..

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2006, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Berberman
I wish that read Apple prepares for Core 2 Duo MacBook ramp ....

The more I read the more that sony vaio FE looks good..
Then go and buy a Sony Vaio FE and stop sitting on the fence. I'm sure you'll find it a perfectly enjoyable laptop to own.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2006, 11:15 AM

If you need a macbook buy one.
The MacBook isn't slow, nor is it in dire need of an upgrade.
Core2Duo won't even be significantly faster!
we don't have time to stop for gas

clockworkwar
Oct 7, 2006, 11:48 AM

I went on one at an Apple store today, it seemed perfectly fast to me. ran some pretty 'hard core' programs quite easily.

Berberman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2006, 12:54 PM

Like i said i'm not as concerned about the C2D difference in performance than i am about the current defects. That's the major issue for me because i am nowhere near an apple center or any repare center for that matter. So i am just waiting for the merom macbooks just because i know they're likely to fix the rest of the stuff along with it. Don't hate me because i said 'sony fe'...

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2006, 12:57 PM

fix what stuff? My MacBooks is perfect *touches wood*
Chances are if they're moving to a new Processor type, there'll be more issues
we don't have time to stop for gas

clockworkwar
Oct 7, 2006, 01:06 PM

Yep! but im not going to get mine until after Macworld so it could be a whole new kettle of fish

I will then choose if say a Sony would be better for me or an Apple

Berberman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Peter
Chances are if they're moving to a new Processor type, there'll be more issues

clockworkwar
Oct 8, 2006, 04:40 AM

I went on the store 5 mins ago, and it said 'Updating store' and then i went on the american site 'Updating store'

Could this mean there putting juicy updated products on? or just doing maitanence?

EDIT -- It was nothing
( Last edited by clockworkwar; Oct 8, 2006 at 05:25 AM. )

Berberman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2006, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by clockworkwar

EDIT -- It was nothing

clockworkwar
Oct 8, 2006, 11:20 AM

lol!

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2006, 11:21 AM

I don't know, if I remember correctly, the day before the new iMacs were updated they brought the Apple Store down, but when it came back up again there were no updates that anyone could see. But the iMacs came out the next day. I'm still not sure why they brought it down when they did, but maybe they need to do it to even plug in updates that they aren't ready yet to unveil.

clockworkwar
Oct 8, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Elektrix
I don't know, if I remember correctly, the day before the new iMacs were updated they brought the Apple Store down, but when it came back up again there were no updates that anyone could see. But the iMacs came out the next day. I'm still not sure why they brought it down when they did, but maybe they need to do it to even plug in updates that they aren't ready yet to unveil.
Could be good news then! *crosses fingers*

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 8, 2006, 04:06 PM

That's almost a sure fire sign that they'll be released on Tuesday.

Reasons I've been waiting:
-Bug fixes
-64bit memory allocations (MEROM)
-Possible other updates (RAM, standard Superdisk)

I do not NEED C2D but I want it because I want this computer to last me as long as I can. Who knows maybe the prices will go down too! C2D is the same price as CD.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

clockworkwar
Oct 8, 2006, 04:11 PM

I think they will be released soon also, they may only fix problems such as the random shutdowns and heat, and slap a C2D in it. But what im hoping is they add more USB's to it.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2006, 04:18 PM

Unless the MacBook Pro is undergoing a radical change, I can't see any reason to expect the heat issue to be significantly better. Why exactly do people think it will be? I think this goes hand in hand with the way the MBP is designed, the materials it is made out of, etc.

clockworkwar
Oct 8, 2006, 04:22 PM

I know that, but they could do somethings to improve the heat issue, they may be small but they would help.

I am really expecting just Apple to slap a Core 2 Due in it, and save the real changes until early next year.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2006, 04:28 PM

OK, but honestly I really don't think there's anything they can do to fundamentally change the amount of heat generated, or the fact that the case does get hot because it is all metal.

The only way to change this is going to be to come up with some radically new casing material that dissipates heat in a different way, come up with some radically new cooling system, or actually make a thicker notebook. As long as Apple wants to make a laptop like the MBP with its specs and a 1" chassis, you're going to get a pretty hot machine.

clockworkwar
Oct 9, 2006, 11:15 AM

OK, but honestly I really don't think there's anything they can do to fundamentally change the amount of heat generated, or the fact that the case does get hot because it is all metal.

The only way to change this is going to be to come up with some radically new casing material that dissipates heat in a different way, come up with some radically new cooling system, or actually make a thicker notebook. As long as Apple wants to make a laptop like the MBP with its specs and a 1" chassis, you're going to get a pretty hot machine.
You keep refering to Macbook Pro, we are talking about the Macbook here right??

Well they could try changing the fan supplier to get more efficient fans, making the CPU run on less GHz when the system is idle or not doing alot of hard work. Just simple software differences really, it is possible. And i think when they start to use Core Due 2's you will find this random shutdown and heat problem be less likely to happen, as it makes good business sence.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2006, 11:19 AM

You keep refering to Macbook Pro, we are talking about the Macbook here right??

Well they could try changing the fan supplier to get more efficient fans, making the CPU run on less GHz when the system is idle or not doing alot of hard work. Just simple software differences really, it is possible. And i think when they start to use Core Due 2's you will find this random shutdown and heat problem be less likely to happen, as it makes good business sence.
Sorry, some people were discussing the MacBook Pro instead, so I thought that's what you were referring to.

The CPU already scales the amount of power used anyway, so I'm not sure how much one could expect.

Exactly what heat issue still remains with the MacBook? I had thought that people were seeing much more reasonable temperatures after the firmware update.

-Zadillo

clockworkwar
Oct 9, 2006, 11:33 AM

Sorry, some people were discussing the MacBook Pro instead, so I thought that's what you were referring to.

The CPU already scales the amount of power used anyway, so I'm not sure how much one could expect.

Exactly what heat issue still remains with the MacBook? I had thought that people were seeing much more reasonable temperatures after the firmware update.

-Zadillo
on on the MBP thing.

Well they have reduced some of the 'hotter' temperatures aka it wont burn you as much now, but there are a few issues of it being uncomfortable on your lap, if you are running it at full tilt. Which i assume is the same with different laptop, but to me it doesnt seem as apparent.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2006, 11:35 AM

Most other laptops don't have metal cases like the MBP, and metal conducts heat much more than a plastic case is, so that probably accounts for the more apparent heat issues if you use it directly on your lap. And of course, there aren't that many laptops that pack as much into a 1" chassis as the MBP does.

-Elektrix

clockworkwar
Oct 9, 2006, 11:37 AM

Most other laptops don't have metal cases like the MBP, and metal conducts heat much more than a plastic case is, so that probably accounts for the more apparent heat issues if you use it directly on your lap. And of course, there aren't that many laptops that pack as much into a 1" chassis as the MBP does.

-Elektrix
Macbook is plastic (you went back to the Macbook Pro again)

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2006, 11:39 AM

Macbook is plastic (you went back to the Macbook Pro again)
You said "On n the MPB thing"... I thought that was referring to your subsequent statements, but I gues maybe you meant "oh" instead.

I don't know, do people still find the regular MacBook to be uncomfortable to use on a lap, significantly moreso than similar computers?

-Elektrix

clockworkwar
Oct 9, 2006, 11:44 AM

You said "On n the MPB thing"... I thought that was referring to your subsequent statements, but I gues maybe you meant "oh" instead.

I don't know, do people still find the regular MacBook to be uncomfortable to use on a lap, significantly moreso than similar computers?

-Elektrix
Ahh my fault, i put Oh instead of OK.

Apparently yes, but when i get mine it will be sitting on a desk more than on my lap, so i dont really mind.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2006, 11:50 AM

When I get a MB or MBP, I think I would almost definitely buy the iLap for it: iLap Laptop Stand - intro

I just like the look of it and the cushioning, plus that it provides a raised platform. I think I'd get it even if it weren't known to run hot.

clockworkwar
Oct 9, 2006, 11:52 AM

I may have to get one aswell.

Berberman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2006, 01:12 PM

Although the ilap is rather stylish and very tempting, i've never really suffered from using laptops on my lap when running hot, i just stick a magazine under. I've also put them on top of a pillow before. I'd rather save up for extra ram.

well so tomorrow is tuesday 10th, it's a good day to release a merom macbook if you ask me.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 9, 2006, 03:11 PM

I don't actually use a laptop on my lap very often, so the heat never gets to me.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

clockworkwar
Oct 9, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Berberman
Although the ilap is rather stylish and very tempting, i've never really suffered from using laptops on my lap when running hot, i just stick a magazine under. I've also put them on top of a pillow before. I'd rather save up for extra ram.

well so tomorrow is tuesday 10th, it's a good day to release a merom macbook if you ask me.
I do hope your right about that prediction!

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 9, 2006, 05:49 PM

^^^ Seconded. I really really hope I can order tomorrow

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 10, 2006, 12:01 AM

Oh man only a few hours to go...

I've already picked out a sleeve, a bag, cleaner, wireless mouse, RAM, and a HDD. Maybe I should pay more attention to school...

Berberman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2006, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz

I've already picked out a sleeve, a bag, cleaner, wireless mouse, RAM, and a HDD. Maybe I should pay more attention to school...
What sleeve and bag did you pick? Looking for some myself...

clockworkwar
Oct 10, 2006, 10:54 AM

Doesnt seem to be up on the website yet

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 10, 2006, 11:18 AM

Probably wont be until November, and for MBP too.

Anyone who wants C2D can go to Sony or Dell now. Stupid move, Apple...

clockworkwar
Oct 10, 2006, 11:24 AM

i may have to buy a dirty thick ugly Dell Inspiron

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 10, 2006, 11:50 AM

How about AMD Turion2 64? They come in the Compaq Persario (sp?), and the fit and finish is actually really nice. I was playing with one at Futureshop. Doesn't feel cheap at all.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2006, 11:52 AM

i may have to buy a dirty thick ugly Dell Inspiron
Really, honestly, if you want a MacBook, why in the world would you buy a Dell Inspiron just because it has a C2D? You're not going to notice any significant performance difference, and the general longevity of the laptops will be pretty similar regardless of what processor is in it.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2006, 11:54 AM

How about AMD Turion2 64? They come in the Compaq Persario (sp?), and the fit and finish is actually really nice. I was playing with one at Futureshop. Doesn't feel cheap at all.
The Turion dual core mobile processors are OK, but are really not as good as the Core Duo or Core 2 Duo. I can't see any reason to buy a Turion x2 system over a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo system, really.

-Elektrix

clockworkwar
Oct 10, 2006, 11:56 AM

Really, honestly, if you want a MacBook, why in the world would you buy a Dell Inspiron just because it has a C2D? You're not going to notice any significant performance difference, and the general longevity of the laptops will be pretty similar regardless of what processor is in it.
No i was looking at both laptops to start with. I wanted a Macbook more, because its thinner and my bag, litterally has little space in it due to books.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2006, 11:56 AM

If Core 2 Duo is so important to someone that they would buy the Sony or Dell over the Apple JUST because of the processor, then what difference does it make, and what were those people waiting so long for?

Hell, why didn't they buy a Core Duo Sony or Dell? It's not like there is a major difference.

Really, I can understand if you just want to have a PC notebook, but if you are someone who does want and enjoy OS X, it seems crazy to buy a Sony or Dell just so you can know you have a Core 2 Duo processor in it.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2006, 11:59 AM

No i was looking at both laptops to start with. I wanted a Macbook more, because its thinner and my bag, litterally has little space in it due to books.
OK, so really though, if the MacBook fits your needs more, what exactly is it that makes you want to get the other laptop instead? What sort of difference do you expect the Core 2 Duo to make either now or in the next couple of years, really? It's not going to limit the software you can run realistically, and it's not going to make a noticeable difference in performance.

So why not just get the MacBook? I just don't see how the Core 2 Duo instantly makes the other laptop more appealing.

clockworkwar
Oct 10, 2006, 12:04 PM

OK, so really though, if the MacBook fits your needs more, what exactly is it that makes you want to get the other laptop instead? What sort of difference do you expect the Core 2 Duo to make either now or in the next couple of years, really? It's not going to limit the software you can run realistically, and it's not going to make a noticeable difference in performance.

So why not just get the MacBook? I just don't see how the Core 2 Duo instantly makes the other laptop more appealing.
I get your point. Well to be honest im not after just the new processor, im more interested in Apple solving problems such as random shutdowns and such like. I will most likely still get the Apple as i do love it alot, its just a few little problems which i want apple to fix in v.2.

Berberman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2006, 12:56 PM

im more interested in Apple solving problems such as random shutdowns and such like. I will most likely still get the Apple as i do love it alot, its just a few little problems which i want apple to fix in v.2.
Exactly what i'm waiting for. Couldn't care more about C2D at the moment really, just want the bugs to be fixed up. Why is apple still selling defective macbooks while knowing about the problem? there are reports of week 35 machines still experiencing RSS.

I really want a macbook because of OSX, but if they don't do anything soon i'll just have to get my second choice laptop: Sony FE.

I will not settle for anything else than an RSS-mushy mouse button-white discoloration-Free macbook!

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 10, 2006, 01:08 PM

If Core 2 Duo is so important to someone that they would buy the Sony or Dell over the Apple JUST because of the processor, then what difference does it make, and what were those people waiting so long for?

Hell, why didn't they buy a Core Duo Sony or Dell? It's not like there is a major difference.

Really, I can understand if you just want to have a PC notebook, but if you are someone who does want and enjoy OS X, it seems crazy to buy a Sony or Dell just so you can know you have a Core 2 Duo processor in it.

I was meaning what I said in more of a business point of view. Apple is in the Intel game now, so when new chips come out for everyone to use, Apple has to be quick to release them as well. Dell was one of the first and was taking pre orders, so at least people knew what they could get. With Apple someone could order a MBP, then a few weeks later the new ones are released with C2D and x1700, MAN would that piss me off.

Apple can think of themselves as a higher level of computers (I think so IMO), but to most people they're just another computer company. So when someone wants a new notebook, and they see all these companies with Core 2 Duo, then little ol' Apple with regular Core Duo, most people are going to get the latest and greatest, whether they need it or not.

For me personally, I do not need C2D. I was waiting because it was supposed to be 'just around the corner', which really isn't the case. I need a notebook now as I'm in school, so I think I may just order a refurb Macbook and save myself a hundy bill.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2006, 01:16 PM

I get your point. Well to be honest im not after just the new processor, im more interested in Apple solving problems such as random shutdowns and such like. I will most likely still get the Apple as i do love it alot, its just a few little problems which i want apple to fix in v.2.
I haven't been following everything so closely, but as long as they are fixing this in the current MB's, I'm not sure why that would be a reason to wait for a second revision. Or more specifically, if the second revision is just a processor upgrade, I don't think it would be any more or less likely to have the RSS problem, for example.

But it does seem like Apple is making improvements to the existing MacBook as it is; I was just reading about how they finally are using new heatsinks that seem to solve a lot of these problems, and they now have them in quantity so they can be replaced. I just read about someone else who got their MacBook back with the new heatsink and it's been working great since then.

-Elektrix

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 10, 2006, 01:30 PM

But it does seem like Apple is making improvements to the existing MacBook as it is; I was just reading about how they finally are using new heatsinks that seem to solve a lot of these problems, and they now have them in quantity so they can be replaced. I just read about someone else who got their MacBook back with the new heatsink and it's been working great since then.

-Elektrix

Do you think this would apply to the refurbs as well???

MacDuff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2006, 01:37 PM

I ordered a Macbook (white, 2.0GB, 512mb) and today I received a confirmation from Apple Financing that my loan was approved. An e-mail followed where Apple stated that my order would be pocessed in 3 days and then delivered and that I should have it by the 26th. I'm just wondering if the 3 days needed to prepare the order for shipping is necessary or if they might have changed something on the Macbook...normally when I order an in stock item from Apple it is ready for shipping that day or the next.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2006, 01:43 PM

Do you think this would apply to the refurbs as well???
That's a good question. I'd assume that they are swapping out the heatsinks with the new one on any refurbs, but perhaps they still wouldn't do it unless there was a specific issue.

Btw, this is where I read that:

MacUser: Heat sinks now in stock; ready to combat MacBook random shutdowns?

And I've seen other people confirm that the MacBooks they've sent in for repairs are now getting the new heatsinks and working properly since then.

-Elektrix

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Oct 10, 2006, 02:09 PM

I wonder if I contatced Apple if they could tell me that or not. There's a nice little 2.0gHz white Macbook in the refurb section I would like to pick up

Forum Links
Forum Rules