Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Theme Modding Problems

Theme Modding Problems
Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2005, 09:42 PM

Sorry to be posting yet another "how do you mod themes" topic, but I have made several attempts at this based on certain helpful people's replies and still remain completely unable to do a freaking thing.

What I am trying to do is take the menubar and menus from Makki's mod "SS Chosen Inspiriat Aero Glass" and apply them to a theme that looks far less Windozy and inconsistent, like Milk for example. But I cannot work out how to do this. I have ripped both GUIkits apart with GUIkitty, and pasted in all the relevant resources in the Extras.rsrc file, but when I recomplie this and apply it, nothing is different.

When I do the whole "create a new GUIkit, merge with installed elements" thing, I notice there are menu elements here too, but different to the ones in the Extras.rsrc file (i.e. cannot be cut-and-pasted because they are different sizes etc). How do I get a similar window opened up for the theme that I want to borrow elements from (so I can cut-and-paste from it)? Themepark will not let me open GUIkits.

Can anyone offer a clear and specific answer to this?

The Themepark help file doesn't tell me anything I don't already know, and I have scoured the forums and come up with the same things over and over. Maybe someone knows of a definitive tutorial?

Thanks in advance.

.saNNic.
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2005, 10:18 PM

I believe Makki modded the layo resource for that theme. I believe he had a tutorial on that at his website. It's been awhile since that whole Tiger craze, but I know you will need Resorcerer to copy and paste the layo resource from Inspirat into Milk and then recompile Milk with the new resource. If I had a better memory I could tell you step by step..... sorry.

Hopefully digitaljames will see this........ he has a memory like a steel trap!

Good Luck, Ozzpot.

Ozzpot  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2005, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by .saNNic.:
I believe Makki modded the layo resource for that theme. I believe he had a tutorial on that at his website. It's been awhile since that whole Tiger craze, but I know you will need Resorcerer to copy and paste the layo resource from Inspirat into Milk and then recompile Milk with the new resource. If I had a better memory I could tell you step by step..... sorry.
Thanks for the advice, but Makki's tutorial does not help as it requires Xcode. I cannot get Xcode because I am not an ADC member. I cannot become an ADC member because the online application is f****d up and will not let me choose what country I live in from the popup menu. Without this information it will not proceed. So I guess Xcode is out of the question.

hashpipe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2005, 10:53 PM

If you have a copy of OS X Panther, there is an Xcode install disc. And after you install that you can update to Xcode 1.2 I believe for free. I don't think Xcode is exclusive to ADC members. Maybe I'm totally wrong though.

Ozzpot  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2005, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by hashpipe:
If you have a copy of OS X Panther, there is an Xcode install disc. And after you install that you can update to Xcode 1.2 I believe for free. I don't think Xcode is exclusive to ADC members. Maybe I'm totally wrong though.
I have Panther, but only as it came with my iBook, i.e: 4 discs marked "Mac OS X install disc 1,2,3,4" etc. Neither they nor the "Software Restore" discs seem to have Xcode on them. Maybe it is only retail boxed copies of Panther?

All this aside, does anyone else have trouble with modding themes? The only mods I have ever got to work are a couple of themes in which I used the iTunes skin of another, such as Shinobi iTunes skin in NEOS. I have also made minor changes to the iTunes.rsrc files in a coupla themes, but changing Finder elements seems to be a whole different kettle of fish.

.saNNic.
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2005, 11:18 PM

Do you have Resorcerer?

Ozzpot  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2005, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by .saNNic.:
Do you have Resorcerer?
Nope.

TheGUiTom
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2005, 07:58 AM

You can use ResEdit too if you want to do that. (It's freeeeee! )

Ozzpot  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2005, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by TheGUiTom:
You can use ResEdit too if you want to do that. (It's freeeeee! )
I will try that. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules