Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I punched a dead Ibook screen and fixed it !

I punched a dead Ibook screen and fixed it !
PacHead
Baninated
Nov 10, 2006, 02:55 PM

My girlfriend's ibook screen went completely black last week. If you held it to a light, you could still see something faint on the screen, but othwerwise it was totally black and 100% unusable. I did some googling, and found out that it was probably the backlight (inverter card) that there was something wrong with. The black ibook screen isn't exactly uncommon, as googling provided plenty of hits of people having similiar problems.

To make a long story short, i found a new inverter card online for $29.00, and was about to order it and replace it myself. I searched online for service manuals and it was hard to find, since apple has been threatening people who post them lately. The ibook 2005 seems like a real bitch to repair, much harder than my pismo, which I've opened a few times before. I was getting ready to order the inverter card, but first I found out that the inverter card was located in the screen itself (unlike previous laptops I've had), so I started slapping and punching the bottom of the screen a few times ( I figured, what the hell, I have nothing to lose), and then I restarted, and Bam ! The Ibook screen works perfectly again.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2006, 03:22 PM

first time i've ever heard of getting a computer to behave by bitch slapping it.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 05:33 PM

Good job Sounds like a connection came loose. I'm curious as to how the inverter card could actually be in the screen though. There's not exactly a lot of room in there.

I've hit/kicked/slapped lots of PC boxes, but it's never made them any better.

ibook_steve
Nov 10, 2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Good job Sounds like a connection came loose. I'm curious as to how the inverter card could actually be in the screen though. There's not exactly a lot of room in there.

I've hit/kicked/slapped lots of PC boxes, but it's never made them any better.

It's in the hinge.

Steve

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2006, 08:50 PM

Wow.
Signature depreciated.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2006, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
It's in the hinge.

Steve
Those iBook hinges have wires in them and when you open and close the lid a lot.. over time it wears out. Apple had a program where they were fixing the affected computers free of charge even if it was out of warranty.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 11:43 PM

I used to temporarily fix alot of CRTs that were missing a color by smacking them. I also took care of a couple of PCs fan noise that way. All of these fixes seemed to be only temporary, however.

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2006, 03:32 AM

Hmm maybe Microsoft should start bitch-slapping their Windows releases before shipping them! That ought to help a lot!
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

anandbatra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 03:46 AM

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Forum Links
Forum Rules