Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 12)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 27, 2011, 02:20 PM

Figure this one out: http://www.destructoid.com/resident-...e-204687.phtml
It would appear that Capcom has discovered an exploit in the 3DS' cartridge system and will be employing it in Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, possibly to make sure gamers are tied to its product via an unbreakable chain. In short, you can't delete your saved games.

The information was spotted in the game manual, which came with the warning, "Note: Saved data on this software cannot be reset."

It's been proposed that Capcom did this as a way of combating used games, essentially making a secondhand version of the game useless to new players who want to start from scratch. Until that's confirmed, I'll hold off on reaming Capcom out for being pointless, short-sighted dicks.
I suppose an argument might be made that it was done in name of story-telling, but that seems flimsy at best.

Brace yourself for the influx of BS.
Parents Television Council Denounces Supreme Court Ruling - News - www.GameInformer.com
PTC president Tim Winter issued the following statement in the aftermath of the ruling:
“This ruling replaces the authority of parents with the economic interests of the video game industry. With no fear of any consequence for violating the video game industry’s own age restriction guidelines, retailers can now openly, brazenly sell games with unspeakable violence and adult content even to the youngest of children.
Parents who must not ever see what games their children are playing. And retailers who follow the same set of guidelines employed by movie theaters, who do not appear to be targeted in similar fashion.

Rather, the measure only would have prevented an unaccompanied minor child from buying or renting the product.
Something that retailers already voluntarily do today, successfully.

“Countless independent studies confirm what most parents instinctively know to be true: repeated exposure to violent video games has a harmful and long-term effect on children.
Except you don't have a single credible study to back that up. Most studies show violent games are played by violent people the same way fat people love eating food.

“We call on the Entertainment Merchants Association to redouble its efforts for increased enforcement of the industry’s age-based vending restrictions. The Federal Trade Commission and the PTC’s own ‘Secret Shopper’ campaigns have routinely demonstrated an abysmal failure rate for video game retailers to uphold the industry’s own age-based restrictions.
Except where it was shown the games industry is the most consistent at upholding those restrictions, better than movies and music.

Scumasses.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2011, 03:06 PM

CSI has more hideous violence than most games and it has a prime-time slot on network TV.

Also, a couple studies have actually shown violence in video games may actually make people less violent.

"We as parents are outraged that we may actually have to take a vested interest in what our children are being influenced by, instead of hoping that someone else will take our children's lives into their hands."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2011, 03:48 PM

The law was proposed solely to do parents' jobs for them. If they'd do their job and supervise their kids' entertainment habits themselves, this wouldn't be an issue.

My kid won't be playing T-rated games until they're probably 14, and I'll be supervising every single title they play through sites like Common Sense Media.

Right move, SC.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 27, 2011, 03:54 PM

What are some example of Teen rated games?

Hell, at 14 my kid can play Call of Duty. No mic, though.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2011, 03:58 PM

I'm probably going to wind up being overly-cautious.

My 10-year-old nephew, as I've said recently, plays Black Ops multiplayer. He's not allowed to wear headphones unless he's in party chat with friends or family members, but I still worry about some of the stuff he's exposed to (especially some of the avatars). That's his parents' call though...

My feelings will probably adapt as my son grows older, but right now I'm already feeling myself get paranoid about what all he'll encounter.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 27, 2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm probably going to wind up being overly-cautious.

My 10-year-old nephew, as I've said recently, plays Black Ops multiplayer. He's not allowed to wear headphones unless he's in party chat with friends or family members, but I still worry about some of the stuff he's exposed to (especially some of the avatars). That's his parents' call though...

My feelings will probably adapt as my son grows older, but right now I'm already feeling myself get paranoid about what all he'll encounter.
I was thinking of allowing party chat but then it becomes a gay situation where either he goes on the honor system (dubious) or I only allow it when I'm around.

Speaking of emblems, an ability to turn them off seems like the right option to add.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 27, 2011, 04:26 PM

Posting this because it is insane.
Puritans and Lady Godiva: why two justices voted to uphold California's video game law
Thomas' entire dissent is a long list of early American source material.

Part of the father’s absolute power was the right and duty “to fill his children’s minds with knowledge and... make them apply their knowledge in right action.” [cit. omitted] Puritans thought children were “innately sinful and that parents’ primary task was to suppress their children’s natural depravity.” [cit. omitted]. Accordingly, parents were not to let their children read “vain Books, profane Ballads, and filthy Songs” or “fond and amorous Romances, ... fabulous Histories of Giants, the bombast Achievements of Knight Errantry, and the like.”
It goes on like this for some time. "In the Puritan tradition common in the New England Colonies, fathers ruled families with absolute authority," Thomas notes. "In the Massachusetts Colony, for example, it was unlawful for tavern keepers (or anyone else) to entertain children without their parents’ consent."

This matters because "the Constitution is a written instrument" and "'its meaning does not alter.'" Thomas' well-known originalism thus leads him to say that attitudes toward parenting in the 1600s and 1700s are crucial to understanding the limits of "free speech."
Thomas' opinion may well be historically accurate, but it over looks one crucial element – it's a ****ing relic of history.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Speaking of emblems, an ability to turn them off seems like the right option to add.
Absolutely. The option to report objectionable material clearly didn't do jack squat when seemingly a quarter of the users either had depictions of intercourse, breasts, or swastikas in their emblems.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 27, 2011, 04:37 PM

Absolutely. The option to report objectionable material clearly didn't do jack squat when seemingly a quarter of the users either had depictions of intercourse, breasts, or swastikas in their emblems.
Well, I doubt they get reported often. I think Treyarch enforced the rules for the first three months and slacked off (predictably) because their forums were crawling with people crying about being perma-emblem banned for their swastikas and such.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 28, 2011, 11:03 AM

Tuesday News

Activision registers domains for 'GoldenEye 007 Reloaded' | Joystiq
Gotta be the Wii title, ported, right?

Kotaku
I call bullshit for one inescapable fact: The Asia region is still offline.

Sony Says it was Hacked Because it "Tried to Protect its IP"
"We believe that we first became the subject of attack because we tried to protect our IP (intellectual property), our content, in this case videogames," he told the crowd.
More accurately, you were targeted because of how you chose to defend your IP.

Kotick, Riccitiello, Levine and More Praise Supreme Court Victory
This was a terrible law to begin with. It could have effectively made ALL games M-rated games, because publishers would have been rightly nervous about "under-labeling" their titles and facing the wrath of the state (or, more precisely, states, because a California law would have no doubt spawned up to 49 deformed siblings). A cartoon plumber lands on top of an anthropomorphic mushroom and crushes it to death? Hmmm. Better label it "M".
Far be it from me to disagree with Ken Levine, but this strikes me as the opposite of what most people expected to happen. Logically, though, he does have a point as most gamers are over 18. But I have no faith in the ability of the industry to see that logic; Case in Point: The casual audience.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2011, 11:54 AM

I only buy the 90% stat if it's interpreted as "for those countries that are back online."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 28, 2011, 11:55 AM

I only buy the 90% stat if it's interpreted as "for those countries that are back online."
Nope, still call BS. How many duplicate, inactive, or PSP related PSN accounts do you think they have? There is no way that's less than 10%.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2011, 12:23 PM

Regardless, anything anyone outside of Sony says is pure speculation. It could be 90%, it could be 30%. Who knows?

Also, not surprising: 360 Leads Consoles in Sales of Online-Enabled Games

As reported on Gamasutra, NPD has released a set of data showing that nearly twice as many online-enabled games have sold on the Xbox 360 than the PS3 from 2006 through to 2010. One graph also reveals that Microsoft's console sells roughly seven times more online games than seen on the Nintendo Wii. Although specific sales numbers aren't given, it is shown that overall sales of online-capable games rose dramatically from 2006 to 2008 and have levelled out since.

The implication is that the Xbox 360 is overwhelmingly the console of choice for playing games online, although there are obvious limitations to the data itself. It doesn't measure what proportion of these games were actually played online, for instance – we still have to rely on Microsoft and Sony's own figures for that kind of information. And as is always the case with NPD, the data only speaks for North America. Figures for other countries where the PS3 is more successful aren't available, which is a shame, as they would provide a basis for a fairer comparison.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 28, 2011, 12:27 PM

Regardless, anything anyone outside of Sony says is pure speculation. It could be 90%, it could be 30%. Who knows?
What I know is that given Sony's penchant for misleading numbers (8 million Move shipped!) I'm left having to doubt their numerical claims as nothing more than spin.

If the article wasn't in japanese maybe there'd be some additional details that might back up their statement.

You didn't include the graph with the head-scratchingly unlabeled vertical axis. NPD is worthless.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 28, 2011, 01:03 PM

Peter Molyneux shits on Fable III to look humble again -Destructoid
For once, Destructoid nails it with the graphic.

F.E.A.R 3 online passes screwed up for PS3 version -Destructoid
The "online pass" system was designed to combat used sales and make money from those who buy secondhand games. Except in the case of F.E.A.R 3, in which Warner Bros. apparently got so excited and giddy over the idea of the system that it forgot one important detail -- giving players the ability to buy a pass if they get a used copy.

Warner Bros. appears to have overlooked the PlayStation Store when it comes to offering a downloadable pass. It's on Xbox Live as an 800 Point "First Purchasers Maps and Modes Pack" but those who got the PS3 version are locked out of half the multiplayer. Warner Bros. says that it's working on solving the issue, but reminds consumers that the codes are included in brand new copies.
I would think not a huge deal in the first week or two of the game, but as always, adding more hoops = stupid.

Gamasutra - News - Capcom: Used Sales 'Not A Factor' In The Mercenaries Save System
"The nature of the game invites high levels of replayability in order to improve mission scores. In addition, this feature does not remove any content available for users," he added. "Secondhand game sales were not a factor in this development decision, so we hope that all our consumers will be able to enjoy the entirety of the survival-action experiences that the game does offer."
Of course, it doesn't address the original question being asked: Why?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2011, 04:06 PM

Crysis 2 DX11 graphics update.

Crysis 2 upgrades to maximum graphics on the PC, get the patch here | Joystiq

Maybe too many people were answering "Yes" to "Will it run Crysis?"

545MB patch, 1.65GB texture pack.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2011, 08:04 PM

Peter Molyneux shits on Fable III to look humble again -Destructoid
For once, Destructoid nails it with the graphic.
Fable 3 may be my last Fable. They don't seem to patch the glitches and bugs, and they don't seem to improve it.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 29, 2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Fable 3 may be my last Fable. They don't seem to patch the glitches and bugs, and they don't seem to improve it.
What glitches are you running into yet?

Once they fixed Jasper being mute it looks like he had a backlog of announcements to report to me upon entering the game. It was kind of amusing.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 29, 2011, 10:01 AM

Wednesday News

Kotaku
Kotaku
Sony manages to keep itself in the news perpetually (Edit: and kotaku borked link titles again!).
Which one of these was the genius that said you'd work two jobs to afford the PS3?

LA Noire's Studio Under Investigation Over Alleged Shonky Work Practices
Ouch. Good.
(Edit 2: Except this one?!)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 29, 2011, 03:44 PM

Apparently the website for Respawn Entertainment (the new studio from the Infinity Ward exodus) is now up. I can't visit it, but someone posted this great pic:

Edit: via Joystiq Here's the first (very blurry) image of Respawn Entertainment's unannounced game | Joystiq

( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Jun 29, 2011 at 04:05 PM. )

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2011, 04:26 PM

Funny thing the McLaren F1 Team was sponsored by West (tobacco) back then when he worked on F1WGP.
Beetle Adventure Racing was really nice. I guess he might add HSV Adventure Racing! to the list.

Not related to him but I miss Road Rash 64. Amazing EA didn't come with a remake.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2011, 12:24 AM

What glitches are you running into yet?

Once they fixed Jasper being mute it looks like he had a backlog of announcements to report to me upon entering the game. It was kind of amusing.
I ran into 2 glitches so far.

One where it told me I had 1 silver key left in Mistpeak and I collected them all. I checked twice and I know about the key in mill field monorail station.

One where I accept to get a criminal in Brightwall and the golden path sends me to brihgtwall academy. I get in, and the golden pat sends me back out.

And that golden path itself is still buggy as hell. And there are still slow downs for the character's movement.

There's probably other things I can't remember....
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 30, 2011, 10:43 AM

Th golden path is always buggy. I wouldn't call it a glitch per se... it more of a fundamentally unreliable (read: buggy) feature. Sometimes it works and sometimes it just takes you to where you were last.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 30, 2011, 11:04 AM

Thursday News

I have a feeling I'm not quite grasping this correctly. I guess its not underwhelming so much as unexpected.
Bungie Aerospace is an Unexpected Twist from the Makers of Halo
It's not a game or a tech platform. It's a plan, an initiative to partner with small developers to help them make mobile and social games—and to let those in the Bungie.net community know about some Bungie-approved games worth playing
While Bungie is preparing to give developers access to funding and to the studio's expertise in stat-tracking, leaderboards and other platform-agnostic systems, Bungie also wants to give game creators and gamers a forum to connect: Bungie.net. "There's a huge community of ravenous loyal gamers who listen to us," Osborne said, referring to the legion of users of the Bungie.net website. "If we showcase a game into a public space, just like with Bungie Mobile [a Bungie iOS app released last week], we're able to launch something to a really large audience, to get them to check it out. For mobile developers on an App store or other product markets, getting the game noticed can be difficult."

Call of Duty XP 2011, a two-day event for CoD fans, with proceeds going to charity | Joystiq
"We are constructing a full-scale replica of one of our multiplayer maps as a paintball stadium for fans," Hirshberg said. "We're reconstructing the legendary level from Modern Warfare 2, The Pit, which fans can actually run." More interested in what you're going to be able to eat at an all-Call of Duty event? "You'll be able to eat at Burger Town from Modern Warfare 2," Hirshberg added, quite seriously.
What map? Sounds pretty ****ing cool, though.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2011, 12:56 PM

Thursday News

What map? Sounds pretty ****ing cool, though.
I guess you could technically call The Pit (the obstacle course at the beginning of the campaign) a multiplayer map. It was playable in 2-player Spec Ops (first mission in Alpha).

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 30, 2011, 01:11 PM

It doesn't strike me as a paintball map, however. Co-op ≠ competitive multiplayer.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2011, 02:08 PM

I don't believe they have any intention of offering competitive paintball matches. (How are you going to implement kill streaks?) It seems to me we're just getting is a paintball obstacle course with time trials.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2011, 07:45 PM

Thomas' opinion may well be historically accurate, but it over looks one crucial element – it's a ****ing relic of history.
That's right: a member of the Supreme Court of the US thinks the child-rearing practices of the Puritans is relevant to modern law.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2011, 10:14 PM

Thursday News

I have a feeling I'm not quite grasping this correctly. I guess its not underwhelming so much as unexpected.

Bit disappointing to me.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2011, 10:17 PM

Th golden path is always buggy. I wouldn't call it a glitch per se... it more of a fundamentally unreliable (read: buggy) feature. Sometimes it works and sometimes it just takes you to where you were last.
I would accept that if we were at Fable 2, but this is the third Fable, already! It should be almost perfect by now.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 1, 2011, 10:21 AM

Friday News

Polish dev Flying Wild Hog working on unnamed PC shooter | Joystiq
Posted purely for the sweet Blade Runner-esque pic.

When Call of Duty's Creators Left, They Took a LOT of People With Them
The company's website has been updated with a list of its employees, and it lists 40 former Infinity Ward employees as being on the books. Forty! That's a sizeable chunk of the Modern Warfare 3 developers' roster, and means not only has the Call of Duty studio lost its leadership group, it's lost a lot of its grunts as well.
West and Zampella may be assholes, but they must be some kind of special asshole if they took that many people with them.

Split/Second Developers Get the Boot
Black Rock Studios, the developers behind explosive racer Split/Second, have been shut down by owners Disney.
Apropos as Blur's studio just got canned as well.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 1, 2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I would accept that if we were at Fable 2, but this is the third Fable, already! It should be almost perfect by now.
I have a feeling its a resources issue, more than coding. Asking the system to do one thing too many.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2011, 11:03 AM

Need some advice - I have $60 in Best Buy reward certificates that I need to spend this weekend. What game (or games if they're cheap enough) should I pick up? I was thinking Infamous 2, but I know that in a month or two it'll be down to $30 so it seems like a waste to spend $60 on it. 360 or PS3 only.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2011, 01:12 PM

Month or two? Not a chance. Infamous 2 won't be dropped to $30 for another 6-9 months, at least. I'd go ahead and pick it up. I'm loving it.

Sucks that I had to leave town 30 minutes after I installed the Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta. Not going to be home until Monday. Bah...

Also, does West and Zampella taking 40 former employees with them not raise any concerns with anyone else concerning MW3?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 1, 2011, 01:18 PM

Also, does West and Zampella taking 40 former employees with them not raise any concerns with anyone else concerning MW3?
So they supposedly have three developers working on this mess to get it out the door for November. Thankfully, only one is handling the multi. From wiki, Raven software’s recent FPS titles are Quake 4 (05), Wolfenstein (09), and Singularity (10). One of these games have a cumulative score higher than 79 on metacritic. That’s not reason to pessimistic however; A quick glance at Treyarch’s prior show they had zero FPS experience when they jumped into their CoD duties. For me I’ll be looking for them to rectify Black Ops’ shortcomings – map design, spawn design, and netcode.
I'm sure there's a "Too many cooks in the kitchen" quote somewhere else in the forums too.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2011, 03:24 PM

Month or two? Not a chance. Infamous 2 won't be dropped to $30 for another 6-9 months, at least. I'd go ahead and pick it up. I'm loving it.

Sucks that I had to leave town 30 minutes after I installed the Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta. Not going to be home until Monday. Bah...

Maybe not a permanent drop, but I guarantee there will be a sale on it for $30-$40 within 2-3 months. I picked up the first Infamous that way.

It happens with single player games all the time. After the initial sales bump they'll drop the price and sell a ton more.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2011, 04:08 PM

How much did you enjoy the first Infamous?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2011, 07:53 PM

I just finished Infamous 2 as good, about to start up evil next. I like it better than the first, personally. Its one of those few that are worth a full price, IMO. The user mission integration is pretty nice, I wasn't so sure about how that would work out.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2011, 10:10 AM

Tuesday News

Battlefield 3 going all Burger King in the multiplayer | Joystiq
EA's posted an interview with Battlefield 3 Lead Multiplayer Designer Lars Gustavsson on the official game blog, and the key with multiplayer in the new game, he says, is that Dice wants you to have it your way. "The mindset at Dice during the development of Battlefield 2 was pretty much: 'Play the game our way, or play something else.'" he says frankly. "Now, we have made a conscious effort to reverse that mentality."
Translation: "EA wants to drink CoDs milkshake, so we had to cave like bitches."

Spencer: Microsoft once considered Crytek for 1st party development | Joystiq
Could you imagine what some of the exclusives might look like?

Capcom claims RE: The Mercenaries 3D save controversy won't happen again | Joystiq
I'd be interested in why they made this decision, but without the context of why they did it in the first place I suppose that's essentially meaningless.

Leak Alert: Gears of War 3 emerges on torrent sites [Updated] | Joystiq
I'm sure companies will just point to this as another reason to never run ahead of schedule.

Xbox 360 cloud storage now live News - Xbox 360 - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net
I'll have to try this when I go on vacation in August.

Report: The PlayStation 4 Will Have Kinect-Style Motion Controls
Previously, Kotaku reported that 2014 seems likely for a new Sony or Microsoft console—2013 if either Sony or Microsoft feels pushed. 2013 seems like a far more realistic date for a new PlayStation 4 than 2012, which is next year.
**** you. There is not one believable thing about this rumor.

'Let's Play' videos may soon make you a felon thanks to Senate Bill S.978 | Joystiq
These are, in essence, the same criteria that allow for DMCA take-down notices to be issued by copyright holders, however jail time and felony status are not currently associated with this particular flavor of copyright infringement. Should this bill jump through all the right hoops, its broadly worded contents could potentially cover everything from homemade gameplay clips (commonly referred to "Let's Play" videos), to fan-made music videos, webcam cover songs, and anything else that involves copyrighted music or video. S.978 could also potentially cover cell-phone videos of concerts and press events, making 13-year-old Beliebers and jaded gaming journalists alike equally in danger of losing their right to vote.
I know I'm talking to the wrong crowd here, but I still don't understand how companies have to sue over any IP infringement in order to stop it from going into public domain, yet Activision can allow an infinite number of gameplay videos to exist and then selectively DMCA one because it illustrates how terrible Black Ops hit detection is.

On a more centered note, this would mean creating those MythBusters videos could potentially make you liable for everything described above.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2011, 07:41 AM

CoD4/Star Wars.

Maybe been posted before, but I say bravo to those that developed the mod. PC only obviously.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2011, 09:40 AM

So I've just signed up to Steam. My MacBook has Intel GMA graphics, 4GB RAM and is usually connected to a 24" screen. Some of the basic games do state Intel GMA950 in the specs, others state versions of Open GL and video memory size, others state graphics cards. Without wasting money on a game that won't run on the MacBook, what's on there thats playable and good? I'm lost when I'm looking at graphics card model numbers. I know I'd probably be ok with 2D and puzzle stuff, just not sure how much 3D my Mac could handle.

(A new Mac is in my future, I just need to save more )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2011, 10:19 AM

Wednesday News

Reggie: Wii U's online functionality will be 'flexible' to publishers | Joystiq
Nintendo is "creating a much more flexible system," Fils-Aime said, "that will allow the best approaches by independent publishers to come to bear. So instead of a situation where a publisher has their own network and wants that to be the predominant platform, and having arguments with platform holders, we're going to welcome that. We're going to welcome that from the best and the brightest of the third party publishers."
Heh, so be prepared to have a different friend code for each publisher. That seems casual friendly...

Rumor: Sony To Introduce 'PSN Pass' for PlayStation Network, May Hit With Resistance 3
The unconfirmed PSN Pass was spotted by members of the German video game forum Konsolentreff, which offers little into the way this new addition functions, other than to warn that "Network features only available in countries that have PlayStation Store."
So much for free online.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2011, 10:59 AM

If I were guessing, though—since Sony Computer Entertainment hasn't yet responded to requests for comment—I'd guess that PSN Pass is a scheme not unlike EA's Online Pass, which grants online access to those who either purchase a new copy of a game or those who pay the extra ten bucks to buy their way into networked features. THQ copied that idea, as did Mortal Kombat publisher Warner Bros.

Sony may just be the latest games publisher hoping to dissuade used game sales with methods like this.
So, if a friend decides to bring their copy of MK to my house, they have to log in with their account to play online with my PS3?
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2011, 11:01 AM

Yes.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2011, 02:03 PM

Bungie Day 2011 | Bungie Bids Halo Farewell - NeoGAF
This Bungie Day, Bungie is marking the end of their time with Halo. July 12th will bring their final Reach playlist update, after which all future support moves to Mirosoft's 343 Industries. News about Halo will no longer feature on Bungie.net. For all things Halo, including a weekly Halo update, point yourself toward Halo Waypoint. It's been a good 10 years.
The end of an era.

Sony Introduces 'PSN Pass' Program - PlayStation 3 News at IGN
"We are always evaluating new programs for our online offering, and starting with Resistance 3 this September, we will be instituting a network pass program for PS3 games with online capabilities," the spokesperson said. "This program will be game-specific. Games that are a part of this program will include a single-use registration code that grants the account holder redeeming the code full online access for that title.

"This is an important initiative as it allows us to accelerate our commitment to enhancing premium online services across our first party game portfolio."
Well, that's that. If a hardware manufacturer is doing it we can officially call it entrenched.

While this would infinitely more infuriating if (when?) MS was implementing it, how pathetic is it that a hardware manufacturer has to resort to this? Is the industry really hurting this much? Is it just Sony from its missteps this gen? How much money have they pissed away on pre-order exclusives compared to how much they'll reap from this?

I'm feeling pretty disgusted.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2011, 03:09 PM

From the link:
To send send Halo off in a fond farewell, Bungie is rolling out the Bungie vs. The World playlist on Thursday. Beat Bungie's team by 20 kills or more, and they're sending everyone in the party steak. No, really. Details here. Watch for these gamertags:

The gamertags to look out for are Humproast, Heavenly Beef, Tender Loins, and Porterhaus
Those gamertags are a f**king riot.

I've been playing a shitload of Reach this past week. It will be interesting to see how this transition pans out.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2011, 03:12 PM

I've got to think Humproast and Tender Loins are ban worthy.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2011, 03:18 PM

Sony Introduces 'PSN Pass' Program - PlayStation 3 News at IGN

Well, that's that. If a hardware manufacturer is doing it we can officially call it entrenched.

While this would infinitely more infuriating if (when?) MS was implementing it, how pathetic is it that a hardware manufacturer has to resort to this? Is the industry really hurting this much? Is it just Sony from its missteps this gen? How much money have they pissed away on pre-order exclusives compared to how much they'll reap from this?

I'm feeling pretty disgusted.
So this just for 1st party games or do I now need 2 codes for EA games? Whatever it is, I sure hope PS3 users boycott this shit. (Jawbone I'm looking at you.) Yeah right, who am I kidding.

We don't need to give MS anymore stupid ideas.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2011, 03:20 PM

Select (1st party) Sony games only (i.e., whatever they feel they need to cock block consumers on. Let's see if it hits Uncharted 3).

But really, the PR speak is priceless:
"This is an important initiative as it allows us to accelerate our commitment to enhancing premium online services across our first party game portfolio."
What the hell does that mean?!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2011, 03:26 PM

I don't plan on buying Resistance 3 anyways, so I'd like to say that I'm boycotting it, but if Uncharted 3 comes with it...........

Sony has always been a little more aggressive in fighting piracy, but now they're apparently ramping up their fight against used games in a struggling economy -- classless move. I'm assuming the PSN pass will take the place of EA's PS3 codes, but I'm not sure. I would guess that every first, second, and third-party publisher will be able to opt in to the program.

I suppose the eventual goal is digital distribution being the only way to buy/sell games, eliminating used game sales and cutting out the middle man. Since game retailers like GameStop apparently make a ton of their money off of used game sales, I'm guessing a ton of jobs are going to be lost in the next few years. It's going to be Blockbuster -> Netflix all over again.

[EDIT] Just saw your more recent post. $20 says Uncharted 3 definitely gets hit.

Somewhat related note: the Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta is incredible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules