Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" PB with GeForce4 MX?

17" PB with GeForce4 MX?
redboy
Apr 27, 2003, 04:41 AM

Hi folks.

When I open up Apple System Profiler on my 17" pb the video card that shows up is NVDA,GeForce4 MX. I compared this to what's on my 12" and it's the same(only the rom version is newer on the 17"). This got me worried. Isn't it supposed to show 440go and not 4mx? Is there another way to check what video card resides in my 17"pb?
( Last edited by redboy; Apr 27, 2003 at 05:51 AM. )

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2003, 08:18 PM

Yep, it'll say GeForce4MX because the GeForce 4 440 Go graphics chipset is based on the GeForce4MX chipset. It's just toned down a bit and has some alterations to make it run cooler, but rest assured, you have a GeForce 4 440 Go in your 17" PB.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

redboy  (op)
Apr 28, 2003, 06:08 AM

Thanks for the reply

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Yep, it'll say GeForce4MX because the GeForce 4 440 Go graphics chipset is based on the GeForce4MX chipset. It's just toned down a bit and has some alterations to make it run cooler, but rest assured, you have a GeForce 4 440 Go in your 17" PB.

Lt_Core
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2003, 09:55 AM

Is there any way to tweak the GeForce 440's settings? I have a GeForce3 Ti200 on a gaming PC at home that I can tweak to my heart's content. I would love to do the same on my new PB 17".

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Lt_Core:
Is there any way to tweak the GeForce 440's settings? I have a GeForce3 Ti200 on a gaming PC at home that I can tweak to my heart's content. I would love to do the same on my new PB 17".
Unfortunately, not really. Of course you could possibly get your hands on some overclocking utilities and the like, but adjusting a mobile graphics chip settings whatsoever is extremely dangerous. They're designed to run at their exact speed, and anything more can, and most likely will, cause excessive heat and cause the machine to run very unstable. Mobile chipsets are next to impossible to tweak because of the strict cooling circumstances in which they're forced to run in.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Forum Links
Forum Rules