Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apple Photoshop Alternative ?

Apple Photoshop Alternative ?
timmerk
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 01:27 PM

It seems to me that Core Image and Core Video is a very nice framework to build a Photoshop alternative on. Could Apple be hinting what's to come????

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 01:37 PM

I doubt Apple would come out with a Photoshop killer. Too much of their sales depends on Photoshop. Usually, when Apple decides to make their own version of an existing product, it's because there no good products out there. Video had never been done well before FCP. Same with DVD Burning and DVD Studio Pro. If Apple were to make a Photoshop clone, they better make sure that it has EVERY feature Photoshop has and more. Otherwise, it could spell the end of the platform.

However, Core Image will make it much easier for developers to create graphics apps with photoshop-quality filters.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 01:43 PM

I doubt Apple will do it themselves.

Whatever the official line, Apple just built much of Photoshop's capabilities into the system, and opened the up for any developer to use. That's got to piss off Adobe to some extent.

The flip-side of the coin is that this is a huge boon to developers wishing to make powerful, fast, Photoshop competitors. (how many times have we heard people ask for basic paint programs or drawing programs?) not to mention making the possibilities for iLife 5 pretty damn nice, (while still keeping it light-weight)
cpac

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 02:02 PM

I thought you were asking for alternatives to Photoshop in general, in which case I'd point you to the free and excellent Gimp.app. I can't speak to your specific question, though.

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 02:18 PM

Photoshop competitor. Well it won't be Apple, that is for sure. However Apple was clever. During the WWDC Keynote Steve made a plea for Adobe to use Core Image. Adobe could benefit from Core Image but the may be loath to because it would mean taking more cross platform code and making it Mac specific.

Corel probably has the next most popular app in Painter 8. They just sold Bryce and have made huge mistakes chasing Linux and other gaffes. Perhaps it's time for them to look and see how they can increase the speed and effectivenes of Painter. Core Image may give them a leg up on Photoshop by integrating realtime editing features along with their outstanding natural media paint functions.

Studio Artist from Synthetik would be another candidate for an increase in speed and functionality. It's a natural for Image and Video editing. They could go whole hog on this and really make waves.

MacGimp the opensource Mac flavor of Gimp might be able to leverage this technology. I don't know if the GPL license would affect it however. I'm not savvy on those matters.

I'm awaiting more technical info on how Core Image works. There are bound to be limitations and we're going to need to know those limitations before correctly assessing the impact of Core Image APIs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules