Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 8100 for web server. Good or Bad?

8100 for web server. Good or Bad?
sblunden
Mar 2, 2000, 11:50 PM

hey i was wondering if anyone has experience using older macs as web servers. I have an opportunity to get a 8100/80 for free, it has a 1GB HD and 160MB RAM. I was wondering if this would make an adaquate server, i know it won't be great, but my server will be personal and will not have to handle much traffic at all. I jsut need the bare minimum.

Any have any advise? should invest time to set up a server or just forget about it?

thanks

------------------
- s p e n c e r
- s p e n c e r

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2000, 11:36 AM

ANY PowerMac makes a more than ample server... especially for personal use. I assume your computer would be hooked up to a T1 line or cable modem... serving over anything slower than that isn't really worth it... the connection is just too slow. I've used a Performa 6320 as a web server running Quid Pro Quo (its free and really easy to set up) and it could saturate my T1 line if it was running in the foreground. With the 8100, I believe there are several versions of Linux you can run... my suggestion would be either Quid Pro Quo if you like the MacOS, or Apache in Linux (in my opinion Apache is slightly better... personal preference).

Cheers!
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris_G (edited 03-03-2000).]

sblunden  (op)
Mar 4, 2000, 09:14 PM

thanks for your input
yeah have a T1 while at school and a cable during the summer.

- s p e n c e r

macopz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2000, 02:20 AM

I would suggest running LinPPC Live w/MacOnLinux
;-) MacOpz

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2000, 08:54 AM

Spencer,

as I have been running the 8100/80 as a web and FTP and Mail server (including 10 customer www sites and FTP upload/download for them) for three years let me tell you it is a great machine for this sort of task. I ran it under Mac OS 7.5.5 (Open Transport, of course) with 48 MB of RAM, 1.2 GB Quantum hard disk. WWW server was an older version of WebSTAR, Qualcomm EIMS as mail server.

This configuration has turned out to be very stable. I only had an ISDN-type leased line (64 k), but the 8100 will clearly take advantage of a T1 line, too. All the better for you if you have a better connection than I had....

Walter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules