Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 8.0 -> 8.1

8.0 -> 8.1
vivisel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2001, 07:39 PM

Hi--I've got a problem and have posted it before elsewhere and gotten no response so I'm moving on over here
If I'm posting this in the wrong place or am breaking some sort of rule or something feel free to let me know

As posted on the Apple Support Discussion Forums:

gulp* a PC user on a mac board (:

But I'm not here to talk about what platform is better (even thought everyone knows (; )

I've got this Performa 6116CD. Originally had System 7.something, and I went up to OS 8. Wanted to install a program, which I found required 8.1. Sulked for a bit, then found the patch-type-thing on Apple's web site (reminds me to congratulate you all on your great support database whatever, better than any PC or clone's), and burned it to a CD on my PC. Brought it downstairs to the lab (and the mac (: ), expanded the .hqx, and ran the installer. It churns away for a while--and while it's checking the startup volume (rePC Computer, if you care, I rebuild all sorts of old(er) computers with my "company" rePC and give em away to people who can't afford computers) when it tells me there's an error blah blah and to start up on the CD that the update came on. Obviously, that wasn't going to happen, I didn't think to burn any system software with the update. I tried other stuff, stuff happened, wierd stuff, but oh well, I got past that eventually. So I finally thought to run Disk First Aid(us PC users, I know. we just miss the ovbious every time (; ), and it fixed a couple of problems, so I was thinking, nice, it's working..I run the installer, no error, but after it gets past the checking volume deal, it locks up pretty much as soon as the installation progress bar shows up(no mouse movement, nothing; the fingers on the installation cursor thingy stop moving and I can't move the mouse at all). I know (suspect, rather) that this could be any number of things (all of which I don't know of (: ), but I tried starting up without extensions etc etc and still no luck.

Hope someone can help me out--make some underpriviliged person happy (;
Sorry if someone's had my problem before and I'm just cluttering up the forum. (:
Most likely it'll be some ovbious thing that I'm missing, but in any case, take pity on me and answer my question. (;

[Subscribe] [Add to favorites]

Update: (message #1. - Dec. 24, 00 7:49 pm)
by: Paul Selker
Argh, more problems. Just to give you a few more details about what I did; I booted off the Mac OS 8 CD, and ran the First Aid and the 8.1 installer (off the hard disk) while I was running on the system software on the CD. As I said, the installer locked up once again, but now the computer doesn't boot off the HD! Heeeeeeeeeellllp!

------------------
-Paul
-Paul

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2001, 11:58 AM

I suspect downloading the OS 8.1 updater to a PC and then burning it to a CD on a PC may be the problem...I 'm not to swift myself on these things, but I have noted from the forums that downloading a Mac program to a PC causes stuff to be lost in the translation.

I would suggest you start over with a clean install of OS 8.0. Then, assuming you can use the Mac to connect to the internet, I would download the 8.1 updater to the Mac and run it from the desktop. You should be able to run it while booted from OS 8.0...if not, boot from the OS 8.0 CD and run the updater.

Hope this helps,
Matt

Gregg
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2001, 12:02 PM

I agree. Do it all on the Mac.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

vivisel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2001, 04:33 PM

Ok, I'll give it a try..although burning on the PC has never caused problems in the past, I'm not surprised that it could.

Thanks for your help.

------------------
-Paul
-Paul

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2001, 08:34 PM

Resource forks are lost when a Mac file is downloaded to a PC (PCs don't use resource forks, and don't know how to handle them). In the case of image files (as the 8.1 update uses), this corrupts them.

vivisel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2001, 10:04 PM

I see! Well, that certainly helps

Thanks, I'll remember that in the future.

------------------
-Paul
-Paul

Forum Links
Forum Rules