Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 17-inch Apple Studio Display Connectivity

17-inch Apple Studio Display Connectivity
flame12
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2004, 12:09 PM

Hello all. I am selling my 17-inch Apple Studio Display. Yes, this is on topic

Anyways, the person interested in buying my display has a Titanium PowerBook and and the Apple DVI to ADC Adapter. The problem is that his fiance wants to hook up the screen from time to time to her PC laptop which has a VGA port. What is the cheapest method to accomplish this? Would using the Titanium PowerBooks' DVI to VGA adapter and hooking that up to the ADC Adapter work?

Your thoughts . . .
Because the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world, are the ones who do.

cougar337
Aug 5, 2004, 04:53 PM

I bought a 17inch Studio display for my PC after my CRT took a crap. I ran into the same thing. I wanted to go from ADC-to-VGA (my PC vid card only had VGA), but was totally shot down.

after purchasing a DVI-to-ADC ($100) converter and a vid card that supported DVI ($350) I was in business and now I could connect it to my TiBook too

The Short answer to your question: I found no easy way to fully convert ADC to VGA.....sorry

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 5, 2004, 06:17 PM

Fact 1. ADC is just DVI plus power and USB.
Fact 2. DVI->ADC adapters, such as Apple's, add on the power needed by the display, for about $100.
Fact 3. VGA->DVI adapters (the kind that actually convert analog to digital, as required by a DVI LCD) exist, but cost as much as that display is worth.
Fact 4. Devices that combine both adapters do exist -- the best (only?) example is Gefen's VGA to ADC Conversion Box for $299.

Of course, for that much money, you could just buy a 17" VGA LCD for the PC.

The adapter included with a PowerBook does not do what you need -- it takes DVI-I output (the I means that it contains both digital and analog signals) and strips out the analog to a VGA connector.

tooki

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2004, 12:13 AM

tooki's right. Since running that digital Apple display from VGA would reduce it to being an analog display, and due to the cost of the adapter(s) necessary, they'd be better off buying an inexpensive analog flat panel display instead, for the PC laptop. But the Apple display will be far better for the PowerBook than a cheap analog display.

Tell the fiance she's out of luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules