Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apple DOS card in G4/400

Apple DOS card in G4/400
bwolfert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2000, 07:08 PM

I am trying to move my Pentium 100 card from my 7600 to G4. Does anyone know how to connect the CDROM and audio cabling for the card inside the G4? Can this be done?

Does anyone know if VPC or SoftWindows will run faster on a G4/400 than a dedicated 100MHZ Pentium processor?

The Wolfe
Sep 2, 2000, 03:45 AM

I don't really have any solid proof to back this up, but Virtual PC would most likely run much faster on a G4 400 than a 100MHz PC card would run. I'm a big fan of Virtual PC, but I know the hardware cards have their merits too.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Howard
Sep 3, 2000, 08:58 PM

I agree with The Wolfe. I doubt that the card would be compatible in the first place, but Virtual PC should at least offer performance on par with the card, and it's compatibility with 3rd party hardware and software is probably a little better since it's newer.

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Sep 14, 2000, 08:27 AM

As far as speed goes, it will be a toss up.

The audio cabling should be a standard PC (hate to use that term) and you should be able to pick one up at any mom-and-pop PC store for a buck or two. Since the G4 does it's audio digitally, the analog outputs should be open on the DVD drive.

Connect the CD-ROM? You mean the card has it's own IDE connection? I don't understand (never used on of these cards).

------------------
Dan
Michigan Lincoln & Continental Owners Club
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

MacOS761
Senior User
Sep 20, 2000, 12:45 AM

I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that these kind of cards do not work in New World computers. I could be wrong, and I hope so for the sake of people who seek such solutions, but for some reason I thought it would be useful to throw that out here.

------------------
We're supposed to sing about piraty things!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Forum Links
Forum Rules