Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Paul McCartney member of Apple board?

Paul McCartney member of Apple board?
Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 02:09 PM

According to this article Apple Corps. (The Beatles old label) is suing Apple (our Apple) again. Apple already paid the Beatle's company 26.5 million dollars, and they're saying that this settlement will dwarf that one and Paul McCartney might be on Apple's board.
What the hell thats not cool...

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2004, 02:15 PM

Hmm well.. why not?

Paul McCartney may have been angling after this all the time.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 02:27 PM

I'm not saying its bad that Paul McCartney might be on the board, I'm saying that if this payment DWARFS 26.5 million, this could really really hurt Apple. Thats whats not cool, and will definetley not be good for Apple.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2004, 02:42 PM

This whole thing is so stupid.

-t

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 02:45 PM

Apple were stupid enough to create the iPod and iTMS in the full knowledge that this 'problem' would come back to haunt them.

Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2004, 02:46 PM

gimme a friggin' break. I don't think there is anyone on the face of the earth that would mistake Apple Corps. with Apple Computers. Hell, is there anyone who knew about Apple Corps. name before the lawsuit occurred??

Idiots. Being billionaires isn't enough?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2004, 02:47 PM

Apple has over $4 Billion in cash. It will hurt them in the short run, if they lose, but in the long run, this six month old news is no big deal.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Sep 13, 2004, 02:55 PM

(IMOHO)If apple is paying that kind of money, they should be able to sell Beatles songs in the itunes music store.
How is Apple Computer Hurting Apple Corps? I can tell you how they can help them.
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2004, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by mikithecrackhead:
How is Apple Computer Hurting Apple Corps?
They rae not.
It's just Apple Corps trying to make cheap, quick money.
Bastards !

Here i what is what I predict:

Apple is going to spin off iTunes, ITMS and the iPod as a separate publically traded company. Then it has *nothing* to do with Apple anymore (except Apple being the major shareholder), and Apple will cash in obscene amounts of money from the IPO.

-t

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2004, 03:07 PM

Can someone please call Paul and get a straight answer about all this? .

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2004, 03:09 PM

ok so let's see...worst case?

Apple pays 1 billion over 20 years

this may include Apple stocks, McCartney on board or as an advisor, etc

could there be conflict between apple corps and itunes ms/other stores

consider if the beatles named their company gateway...you would expect them to fight for their trademark just as hard...no?

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 13, 2004, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Can someone please call Paul and get a straight answer about all this? .

Mike
i'll see what i can do
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2004, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
i'll see what i can do
Well, keep us posted...

-t

talisker
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Apple has over $4 Billion in cash.
If that's true it's pretty dubious ethically. That's not Apple's money, it belongs to the shareholders, and if Apple isn't actively doing something with it it should return it to them. Even big bad Microsoft's just done that.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2004, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by talisker:
If that's true it's pretty dubious ethically. That's not Apple's money, it belongs to the shareholders, and if Apple isn't actively doing something with it it should return it to them. Even big bad Microsoft's just done that.
It's true. I don't know if the figure is correct but yes Apple sits in top a huge pile-o-cash (was this originally made back in the Apple II days?). This is VERY important to Apple as this is what has saved it time and again during the 'lean' periods. There are often quarters where Apple makes more profit from returns on it's cash reserves than on the sale of PC's (Personal Computers).

I think this is a greater threat to Apple than Microsoft etc. will ever be. Unless they get it Finally sorted every few years it will come back and haunt them. It should have been sorted ages back, this sorry chapter needs closing Now!

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by talisker:
... That's not Apple's money, it belongs to the shareholders, and if Apple isn't actively doing something with it it should return it to them. Even big bad Microsoft's just done that.
Tech companies tend to invest their cash in R&D or acquisitions. Microsoft had been battling with shareholders about this for years. It wasn't until recently that they budged (around the time that the new dividend tax laws came into effect).

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 08:44 PM

... and microsoft has an obscene amount of money compared to apple...

dtriska
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 09:02 PM

People, companies keep cash to grow, either through acquisitions or research and development. Apple does both, so stop with the whole "Apple's unethical because it doesn't pay dividends." Unless you own preferred shares, you have no right to dividends. You knew that when you bought common shares.

Anyway, if Apple can settle this Apple vs. Apple case for good, that's extremely beneficial to the shareholders. I just hope Apple can get exclusive access to the Beatles catalogue from the deal.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by dtriska:
People, companies keep cash to grow, either through acquisitions or research and development. Apple does both, so stop with the whole "Apple's unethical because it doesn't pay dividends." Unless you own preferred shares, you have no right to dividends. You knew that when you bought common shares.

Anyway, if Apple can settle this Apple vs. Apple case for good, that's extremely beneficial to the shareholders. I just hope Apple can get exclusive access to the Beatles catalogue from the deal.
Well said.

Exclusive access to Beatles songs? Never thought of that, but it's a great idea. It would give ITMS even a bigger advantage over all the others.

Forum Links
Forum Rules