Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Tool for making nice picture galleries quick?

Tool for making nice picture galleries quick?
dissident
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2004, 04:01 AM

Hi,
I'm making a simple website for my band, (check it out at http://www.revellingblind.tk) and I'm looking for a tool that easily makes gallerie, and that creates html files for each photo so you can click next and back, and maybe that makes thumbs automaticly.

thanks

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 5, 2004, 09:45 AM

"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2004, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by dissident:
Hi,
I'm making a simple website for my band, (check it out at http://www.revellingblind.tk) and I'm looking for a tool that easily makes gallerie, and that creates html files for each photo so you can click next and back, and maybe that makes thumbs automaticly.

thanks
Gallery, it even integrates with phpnuke and geeklog and other CMS/portals.

skalie
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 08:43 AM

Photoshop CS

Coastal_Ron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2004, 02:53 AM

I've been using Quickie Web Albums from LAJ Design (http://www.lajdesign.com/software.html) for a couple of years, and it has worked well for me. In addition to pictures, you can also add movies (a feature I requested for a project I was working on). It's not snazzy, but it does work with iPhoto and also creates nested folders. Only $23, and the company continues to release upgrades on a regular basis. You have quite a bit of control over the options, and there are some sophisticated (by my low standards) features that I have not had a chance to use yet.

bookofjames
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 03:20 AM

i use Gallery and a plugin on iPhoto to export it directly from iPhoto to my photo Gallery online.
book-of-james.com

12" Rev B PwBk (Oct2003)
1GHz | 60GB HDD (4200rpm) | 1.25 GB RAM

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 04:53 AM

From perusing the Gallery site, it appears that Gallery has to be installed on *my Host's* server, right?

So it's more designed for people who admin a server (e.g., use their Mac as a server)?

Has anyone here tried to approach their providing host (I use phpwebhosting) to explore whether it can be added... or is that even possible since then *they* would have to be purchasing ?Gallery?

Am I misunderstanding?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

SAgent0068
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2005, 12:51 PM

See my signature
myPhoto: all you have to do is plug in your digital camera, import your photos as you normally would into iPhoto, organize them, add whatever captions you want, and voila! Your photos are on your web page! And what did you have to do to put them there? Simply install myPhoto.

kellybelly
Jan 7, 2005, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
From perusing the Gallery site, it appears that Gallery has to be installed on *my Host's* server, right?

So it's more designed for people who admin a server (e.g., use their Mac as a server)?

Has anyone here tried to approach their providing host (I use phpwebhosting) to explore whether it can be added... or is that even possible since then *they* would have to be purchasing ?Gallery?

Am I misunderstanding?
I have a virtual hosting account for my websites (through TotalChoice Hosting) and have Gallery installed. You just upload the files and follow the instructions to get it running and configured.

This is, of course, assuming that your host meets all the requirements.
kellybelly.net
12" Powerbook G4 Rev. C | 1.33GHz | 768Mb RAM | superdrive
5G 60GB iPod (black) | 3G 40GB iPod

Scoo
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2005, 01:29 AM

I'm currently evaluating Shutterbug by XtraLean software. It looks like a real winner. Very nice and polished for a $29 dollar app, and I see no reason you couldn't make a nice simple web site with it as well. It also exports SWF files to play a cross fading slide show of your gallery if you like that kind of presentation. The templating system seems to be very CSS intensive, and renders very nicely. WYSIWYG is the name of the game for these guys, and I like their small is beautiful ethos too.

I have DreamWeaver at work, but for my own personal site I will probably purchase a license. To para-phrase Bones McCoy, "Dammit Jim, I'm an illustrator, not a web designer!". After 13 years of the web, I hope we are finally near the point where web publishing is as easy as word processing or desktop publishing (maybe in Pages 2.0, ha ha), which was Tim Berners- Lee's intent when he invented the damned thing.
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 02:31 AM

doesn't iphoto do this? ya, it does and quite well.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

selowitch
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 10:38 AM

Does anybody have experience coupling a picture gallery with data from Filemaker? I'm trying to build an online catalog including descriptions, pricing, etc.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Mafia:
doesn't iphoto do this? ya, it does and quite well.
and even better if you use BetterHTMLExport.

http://www.droolingcat.com/software/betterhtmlexport/

here's an example of what you can do with it, from my personal website: http://www.toshiclark.com/content/portraits/

Sarah31
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2005, 04:22 PM

There are a ton of "applications" for this some mentioned already and several which can be found at http://freshmeat.net

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2005, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by SAgent0068:
See my signature
thats what I use with no problems at all.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules