Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The iPod Shuffle

The iPod Shuffle
Tiresias
Mar 18, 2008, 01:25 PM

I used to have to have the biggest and best iPod, but I just bought the new iPod Shuffle, and I think it's the best iPod I've ever owned. I wish I'd got one sooner.

It's small. It's cheap. You can drop it while jogging (note: reason for replacement ). It holds about as much music as I care to listen to on any particular outing. I no longer have to go trawling though vast songlists looking for what I want (music the battery never lasts long enough to play even if you did happen to have a 21 day commute). The only disadvantage is the lack of a screen, but I find I prepare small playlists for each day, and always know what I am listening to, and enjoy it more because I cherrypicked it to suit the mood I am in.

In short, the iPod Shuffle is the coolest and most sensible choice for a portable music player.

Discuss.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 01:30 PM

Okay, I'll bite; Why the new account?

Tiresias  (op)
Mar 18, 2008, 01:55 PM

Because I prefer it to my old one.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 01:56 PM

It does have that new account smell...

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 01:58 PM

Nano > Shuffle

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Tiresias  (op)
Mar 18, 2008, 02:02 PM

You can't clip the Nano on your label.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
It does have that new account smell...
Actually, that was my Taco Bell.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2008, 02:07 PM

This one is my favorite, it just looks so cool:

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 02:08 PM

To address the OP, music player [iPod] choice is about as subjective as music choice itself. A shuffle wouldn't do **** for me, as nice and comfortable as the form factor is.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by I, Tiresias View Post
You can't clip the Nano on your label.
Just like you can't make multiple playlists, see what you are doing, watch videos or play games on the Shuffle.

I'm not saying the shuffle is dumb or anything, every iPod has an niche.

I just think that a Nano is the perfect compromise between the size, convenience and durability of the shuffle, and the features of a full-sized iPod.

Your milage may vary, depending on your needs.

Tiresias  (op)
Mar 18, 2008, 02:15 PM

Do you do any of that stuff? I've honestly never met anyone who actually uses their iPod to watch videos. People I've talked to also usually keep their iPod on shuffle, no matter what model. After the novelty wears of, in other words, it's just a heavy Shuffle with a sleeping screen.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 02:15 PM

I thought about the iPod shuffle when they introduced the 2GB model. However, I have to remind myself to bring the special dock with me.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 02:19 PM

Do you do any of that stuff? I've honestly never met anyone who actually uses their iPod to watch videos. People I've talked to also usually keep their iPod on shuffle, no matter what model. After the novelty wears of, in other words, it's just a heavy Shuffle with a sleeping screen.
Yes, I use it to watch the occasional TV show and Video Podcasts weekly.

alligator
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 04:27 PM

I watch videos on flights all the time. I'm considering a shuffle for my kids. It's small and almost unbreakable (no screen).

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 04:32 PM

I have seriously thought about getting one just for the reason that it would suit me better, as I pretty much use it only for the shuffle option, and the battery life degrades towards the end of life (for me, at least). I did watch a few videos at one time, but like was said, once the novelty wore off, I might have used it once or twice since then.

That 32Gb Touch is calling my name, though!

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2008, 04:34 PM

In short, the iPod Shuffle is the coolest and most sensible choice for a portable music player.

You are absolutely right...

Or were, until the iPhone.

Since I need to carry a phone too, that's become the most sensible choice.

But I agree. Large capacity is overrated, and a screen on a music player only slightly less so. This of course assumes you can regularly sync-up. If you're in the Andes or something, you want a screen and some decent capacity.

If someone doesn't like the shuffle, that's their prerogative, but if you haven't actually tried one for a day, it should come as no surprise I think you have no idea what you are talking about.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2008, 05:36 PM

Having entire music library > durability.

I love my 30 GB Color, wouldn't trade it for a tiny-screen Nano (cept the new ones) or a Shuffle any day of the week.

Once solid state in devices like the iPod Touch goes down in price I'll ditch HD-based players forever.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 06:27 PM

I do use all of that stuff. Most of all, I need a screen, because I use smart playlists and I need to be able to rate my songs, and switch playlists.

I like to watch short videos on my iPod. Mostly video podcasts. I also have a lot of TV shows ripped to iTunes, but I watch them less.

The Nano can take quite a beating too. It's very durable.

Warren Pease
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2008, 06:38 PM

I have the Touch and Nano. I use my Nano while riding my bike to and from work and also in the car, when I don't want to be distracted by choosing a song. In both cases, the highly tactile form makes it easy to operate without taking my eyes off the road.

I use my Touch at work, for checking personal email, podcasts and the random video.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2008, 12:19 AM

I often watch TV shows on my iPod at work... it was a slow february. I watched two seasons at work.

Now that I have my iPhone I've watched a couple shows on it. That said 8 gigs is not enough storage wish I had gotten the 16 gig model. Really though I'll probably wait for a 32 gig one at least before I get a new one as my 30 gig iPod still would fit my needs if I didn't also want to be able to have my phone, camera, email, etc on me at all times.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 12:58 AM

ya know, the two shuffles that I have, they're probably the two least used ipods that i own.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2008, 02:24 AM

I have the old style Shuffle and a 30 gig iPod 5th Gen.

The Shuffle works great for my daily commute and to hold work documents. The full size iPod is great for trips, movie watching, and putting photos onto from my camera. I take a lot of photos when traveling.

I'm surprised by the number of people I know who have more than one iPod. But it seems they all use different iPods for different situations.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2008, 07:20 AM

I had one of the older shuffles because I run and I wanted something small, durable.
What I found lacking is the shortcomings (as compared to the other ipod models). The in ability to have multiple playlists, video, games. being able to view the playlists and interact with it. So the screen is important.

The problem I have with apple, is they changed the elegant and perfectly sized nano. That was a perfect marriage of form and function now its just a short squat ipod.
( Last edited by MacosNerd; Mar 19, 2008 at 08:33 AM. )

alligator
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 08:28 AM

I can't help but think the nano is just plain fat. The word nano implies skinny, and it isn't.

kelso
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2008, 08:51 AM

The shuffle was a good investment for me. I go on long training runs all the time and it's very light weight. I've dropped quite a few times and little to no damage.

blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2008, 10:13 AM

I have 2 shuffles, one 1st gen and a 2nd gen -- the first gen controls don't work anymore. I also have a 3rd gen iPod 40GB.
I love the shuffle because you can use it anywhere, and it uses like no battery power. I use it casually; I listen to it for like 30 minutes a day max, but I never have to charge it which is great.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 10:46 AM

I bought a 1GB shuffle 2 weeks ago and I love it. I use it for running because I didn't want to risk running with my i-telephone. The one thing I forget to do sometimes is turn the damn thing off.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
I bought a 1GB shuffle 2 weeks ago and I love it. I use it for running because I didn't want to risk running with my i-telephone. The one thing I forget to do sometimes is turn the damn thing off.
I think that's the go-to use for the shuffle.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 09:35 PM

I would never purchase one myself (I still use my seven year old built-like-a-brick with tactile buttons 20GB 2G iPod), but I actually found one of those on the ground (amazing how small and easy these things are to lose hey?)

I found (once I actually purchased a syncing cable from China as Apple demands half the price of a new Shuffle for a replacement one) that I love it. It's great from walking to and from work with a nicely put together smart playlist. Even though it does look a bit dorky connected to my Grado cans. The plug is almost as large as the device itself!

Parenthesis overuse courtesy of a triple shot Mocha.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Railroader
Banned
Mar 20, 2008, 12:57 AM

We have a 60 GB iPod Photo, a 30 GB ipod Video, and a 1 GB Shuffle.

The 60 GB gets used daily as it hold 90% of our music library, the 30 GB Video gets used by me on long trips once a week or so to listen to music and video/audio podcasts, and the shuffle sits in the desk drawer. We very very very rarely have the iPods in shuffle mode.

I also have a Sansa that I use when mowing the lawn that I got on Woot! very very very cheap.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2008, 01:06 AM

We have 5 iPods in the family. i have a 20GB and a shuffle...and i find myself using the shuffle more often. I just thow an album or 2 on there and a couple of podcasts and im set for the commute to work and back.. We do have a 160GB iPod as well, but thats usually hooked upto the TV. i think the shuffle is the perfect companion for commuters who listen to podcasts.

Cheers

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Mar 20, 2008, 03:38 PM

I have a 30GB Video iPod and watch TED talks all the time during lunch break.
My 1GB Shuffle is always with me when I'm in the gym or doing one of my "photowalks" (taking pictures for hours on end).
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Tiresias  (op)
Mar 20, 2008, 03:55 PM

I'd like to know where the Shuffle can go from here. In its present state it's pretty much ideal—any smaller would be too small. Aside from a larger capacity, I think it has reached the endpoint of its design evolution.

Of course, in 10 years, or maybe even 1, someone may read that and laugh.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2008, 04:03 PM

I *never* use shuffle mode.

And when I still had an iPod that could play video, yes, I used it to watch video.

Never could be bothered with games, though - I might, once I get an iPhone.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2008, 07:34 PM

I have a 30 GB iPod with video.

I watch movies and/or video podcasts on it at least once a week. It's not an everyday thing, but I get bored from time to time in an office, in traffic, or whatever.

Having a large library on the go is VERY beneficial to me. If I'm working an event where people forget to do something better than create a 9-song music CD that no one likes, I just plug in my iPod with the 1/8" stereo cable that's always in my backpack, put it on one of my playlists, and get a great mix. I've used this at least a dozen times in two years. I've played salsa playlists, blues, prayer, service intros, and a few others.

Not to mention that I get in weird music moods on a whim. Add that to the fact that I'm a podcast fiend, and I definitely need a large capacity iPod.

I love my wife's Nano, but my next purchase will probably be a 16GB iPhone. I'm tired of carrying an iPod and my phone, and I've been fighting a little iPhone lust problem for over a year now...

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Mar 21, 2008, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

Not to mention that I get in weird music moods on a whim.
Tell me about it!
"Where's Mozart when you need him?" happens quite frequently.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2008, 11:57 PM

I have a 2G shuffle, a 60GB ipod, and an iphone. They all get along.

The shuffle is my gym buddy. Only kick ass tunes. Keep it on shuffle. No screen to distract. Just get work done. Long battery life. The clip is genius. Super lightweight. Doesn't get in the way. Don't have to worry about it.

iphone is mostly calling/texting, email and random internetting. Sometimes music...

I still have the ipod, so I use it as my main "music carrier" for listening to in the car, working in the yard, etc. If it died, I would just use the iphone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules