Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > iBook G3 Airport Card and Time Capsule

iBook G3 Airport Card and Time Capsule
dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 04:27 PM

I just got my daughter a Dual USB iBook G3 800MHz for her 11th birthday, the perfect little machine for her to play Bubble Trouble and surf the internet. I am having a problem getting it to connect to my network, though. The iBook is running 10.3.9 and the network is started at a Time Capsule, then to an Airport Extreme setup via WDS bridged to an old G3 iMac.

Using System Profiler, it says the card is installed, but not connected. I am sure the network itself is working, as everything else I have on it is working fine. Any suggestions? Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 18, 2008, 06:15 PM

What security are you running? How far away from the base station is she? Is there a cordless phone base station between her location and the network base station?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 06:23 PM

It's an out of the box setup on the iBook, and I have no password on the network. I was checking it right beside the Time Capsule station as well, and no phone in the house as of this moment, other than a cell!

Thanks

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2008, 07:05 PM

Something similar happened to my iBook Dual USB 500.

The airport card stopped working one day. The system profiler still recognizes the card, and the hardware test CD didn't find anything wrong either.

Turns out: the airport antenna cable seems to be broken, so the airport card doesn't receive any signal.

It is possible to repair, but I'm not gonna throw any money at my old but trusty iBook. If this is what's wrong with your iBook, you could resort to a wired connection via ethernet.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 18, 2008, 08:06 PM

Fortunately, it's easy to get at the AirPort card in your iBook to see if the antenna is properly connected.

Check out Apple's instructions for installing or replacing the card. Note that the antenna cable connector goes WAY in.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 08:26 PM

I tried that too, thanks! I went ahead and ordered another one. Folks are proud of these things.

Thanks for the help!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Fortunately, it's easy to get at the AirPort card in your iBook to see if the antenna is properly connected.

Check out Apple's instructions for installing or replacing the card. Note that the antenna cable connector goes WAY in.
In my case, it was NOT just a connection issue.

My antenna cable must be broken somewhere along the hinges between the iBook and the monitor. I noticed that when I flip the screen back and forth, once in a blue moon I get airport connection.

Replacing the complete antenna is not trivial, unfortunately.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2008, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by dampeoples View Post
I tried that too, thanks! I went ahead and ordered another one. Folks are proud of these things.

Thanks for the help!
What did you order ?

Another airport card ? That might not fix your problem.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules