Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 161)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
*slow clap*
Haha, I know. It's not like you post articles about the PS3 every other day, and have personally mentioned it hundreds of times in this thread alone.

Bravo, Hawkeye, bravo.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2010, 08:53 PM

*slow clap*
Hmm.... powdered wig and fake mole with a cup-o-tea ?

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Haha, I know. It's not like you post articles about the PS3 every other day, and have personally mentioned it hundreds of times in this thread alone.

Bravo, Hawkeye, bravo.
It's called a joke, only requirement: sense of humor. Seesh....

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2010, 12:40 PM

Have you fools gots GOW3. Holy crap it was amazing I played it through twice back to back.

I never normally notice the lighting within games but it is so impressive in this game you can't help but be blown away by it.

It is also the only time I have EVER seen marble floors look truly reflective and real.

The game also never uses motion controls! YIPPIE!

Highly recommended even if you have never touched GOW before.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Have you fools gots GOW3. Holy crap it was amazing I played it through twice back to back.

I never normally notice the lighting within games but it is so impressive in this game you can't help but be blown away by it.

It is also the only time I have EVER seen marble floors look truly reflective and real.

The game also never uses motion controls! YIPPIE!

Highly recommended even if you have never touched GOW before.
My friend is ranting and raving about it. He just finished up the GOW 1/2 collection, and then started III. I've never played any of the titles myself, but anyone who loves beat 'em ups should probably check them out, from what I'm told.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
My friend is ranting and raving about it. He just finished up the GOW 1/2 collection, and then started III. I've never played any of the titles myself, but anyone who loves beat 'em ups should probably check them out, from what I'm told.
I normally hate button mashers but I got GOW2 years after it came out and it was so spectacular and so much fun and easy to learn I was hooked. #3 will blow minds. Imagine fighting a boss the size of a skyscraper by moving from limb to limb to kill him.

The first boss in GOW3 puts all other final bosses in other games to shame.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2010, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Don't buy a third-party remote. I did so, and have regretted it ever since. It feels cheap and lacks several essential buttons.

The official Sony remote is highly recommended.
Yay! My Bravis has 'Bravia Sync' so the TV remote can be used to control the PS3 (playback controls and XMB), so i wont need a second remote. This kind of integration and 'solution' i appreciate.

Cheers

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2010, 11:40 AM

You can also get a usb stick IR adapter for $8.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2010, 12:55 PM

You can also get a usb stick IR adapter for $8.
Which won't power on the system. I shelled out for the Logitech Harmony PS3 adapter - love it.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2010, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Which won't power on the system. I shelled out for the Logitech Harmony PS3 adapter - love it.
Ya it's weird but I'm not that lazy. Better than nothing.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2010, 12:22 AM

Metroid: Other M

Wow, this game looks amazing! I can't wait! I love how you can switch from side scrolling to 1st person view!

Finally, a game worth purchasing on the Wii!

Release date: June 27

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Metroid: Other M

Wow, this game looks amazing! I can't wait! I love how you can switch from side scrolling to 1st person view!

Finally, a game worth purchasing on the Wii!

Release date: June 27
I'm glad they changed the view rather than all first person again. Worth dusting off the Wii for a week of use till the next good game come out 6-12 months later.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2010, 07:34 PM

I dont think i classify as a hardcore 'metroid fan', as i've only played the Prime series(at least 2 times over)...and i really like the games. But OtherM, seems a little.... odd. The switching or views/controller/context got me worried. From what i've heard, during the first person segments, you cannot move and you can only control the camera via the pointer to change perspective. Im not a fan of this kind of "on rails"(no rails no moving actually) gameplay, it doesnt help that at one point(recently) the developer said that they were considering making this an on-rails shooter. And ive seen that trailer....it seems a little too FF-ish imho. But i am hoping it turns out to be great.

Personally, i am really looking forward to Super Mario Galaxy 2. I really liked the first one a LOT and am looking forward to the new puzzles and levels.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2010, 11:04 PM

Looks like Sega is realizing what most of us have been saying all along about the Wii market:

Sega: MadWorld on Wii a 'mismatch;' Platinum Games needs power of 360, PS3 -- Joystiq
Apparently, the lack of commercial success for MadWorld wasn't due to the game being bad or anything -- it was just that it was on Wii. Sega's Mike Hayes told CVG that the game was a "mismatch with the Wii audience," citing that Sega underestimated the amount of Wii owners who also own other consoles. To him, most gamers looking to experience a Mature-rated game are going to do so on the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC ... not the Wii.

Hayes was still proud of Platinum's attempt to strike bloody gold on Nintendo's console, but thinks the developer needs the power of the Xbox 360 and PS3 to "realize what they actually want to do." He points to Bayonetta as an example of this, calling it a "very high-quality standard."

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2010, 02:42 AM

I'm a huge fan of the Rogue Squadron series on the GCN, is there anything similar on the PS3 you guys could recommend ?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I'm a huge fan of the Rogue Squadron series on the GCN, is there anything similar on the PS3 you guys could recommend ?
I haven't actually played it, but I'm guessing Warhawk.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2010, 02:38 PM

Nintendo: Apple isn't "viable" gaming platform | Electronista

Nintendo's US president Reggie Fils-Aime:
"Clearly it doesn't look like their platform is a viable profit platform for game development because so many of the games are free versus paid downloads," he told Kotaku. "If our games represent a range between snacks of entertainment and full meals depending on the type of game, [Apple's] aren't even a mouthful, in terms of the gaming experience you get."
Something tells me this guy is going to be eating his words 3-4 years from now.

In other news, Infinity Ward continues to bleed talent. (Love the pic kotaku posted in the article.)

Modern Warfare Developer Loses Two More Key Players - Infinity Ward - Kotaku

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2010, 09:09 AM

That attitude from Reggie reminds me of the comments the Nintendo bigwigs used to make when the GCN was released..."we dont compete with Sony, Microsoft", etc....

"Success...it fools people into thinking they are invincible".

What he should have done was not acknowledge Apple, but rather present a competing platform to rival the paradigm introduced by Apple:
-incorporate 3g capabilities into the handhelds
-revamp the WiiWare and DSiWare stores for a better buying experience and add content that can rival the App Store.
-ability to rate and review Downloadable games, etc.

Stuff like that. Acknowledging that you have a competitor is merely the first step. Maybe this is just PR and internally they are addressing it ?

Anyway...my first PS3 game...Braid Uncharted is on it's way.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 8, 2010, 10:45 AM

So we don't have a thread for this but i'm not making one for a few silly posts...

A good friend of mine was unloading some old stuff out of a closet (mostly electronics/music junk) and i was helping him out with what to sell on eBay and came across a Game Boy Micro (like new)

(not his but similar)

I told him i'd throw him 30 bucks for it.
So all this week i've been picking up some games on ebay (Mario 2/3, LoZ: ALttP, Metroid Fusion/zero mission). All for about 7-12 dollars a piece.
I must say i haven't done much old school gaming recently and these metroids i never played seem pretty awesome.

Anyone else have any suggestions for GBA games to pick up?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2010, 01:30 AM

Dude, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission are awesome games! Those should keep you busy for awhile.

Zelda: Minish Cap was also a good game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 9, 2010, 03:57 PM

Activision blasts West and Zampella in countersuit -- Joystiq
The suit further details that specific allegation, claiming the two took, "a secret trip by private jet to Northern California, arranged by their Hollywood agent, to meet with the most senior executives of Activision's closest competitor," who we're understanding to be the Redwood Shores-based Electronic Arts. When asked for comment about the allegations, EA spokesperson Jeff Brown responded (with this totally sick burn), "We don't have the time to comment on the many lawsuits Activision files against its employees and creative partners."

Microsoft Points Now Sold In More Reasonable Batches - Microsoft Points - Kotaku
That's right, now Microsoft points are sold in North America in increments of 400, to better match the normal pricing of Xbox Live Arcade titles and downloadable content. Previously, for an 800 point title, we'd have to purchase 1000 Microsoft points, as the batches were sold in increments of 500. Either that, or pick up a point card, which would mean leaving the couch, which I'm pretty sure is illegal.

Gears Of War 3, Coming April 2011 - Gears Of War 3 - Kotaku
"The glitches will be bigger than ever!" Cliffy B promises.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
When first saw this I thought it was an iPhone in some kind of game controller add-on.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2010, 07:39 PM

I totally forgot about the Gameboy Micro. I'd like to have one.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2010, 12:45 AM

My god I know where the Micro name comes from, that screen is TINY!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2010, 09:51 AM

Anyone else have any suggestions for GBA games to pick up?
Mario Kart Super Circuit
Wario Land 4
Mario Power Tennis
Drill Dozer
Mario Pinball Land
V-Rally 3
F-Zero (any of them)
and the amazing WarioWare: Twisted!.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 13, 2010, 10:46 AM

I was going to post a bunch of more Activision/IW news yesterday, but work internet somehow crippled posting on the forums for the day. kotaku is really blowing their wad posting as many tiny articles as they can, though.

Report: PS3 More Likely To Be Online Than 360 Or Wii - PS3 - Kotaku
We know all three current-generation home video game consoles can connect to the internet, but which one is connected to the internet the most? A new study claims to have the answer.

The Diffusion Group reckon that, having presumably polled a sample group of console owners, that the PlayStation 3 enjoys the highest level of online connectivity amongst its userbase, with 78% of PS3s hooked up to the internet.

The Xbox 360 follows closely at 73%, while unsurprisingly the Wii lags behind at 54%. The quick and easy suspect for the PS3 trumping the 360 is the fact online gaming is free on the PS3, but I've my suspicions it has more to do with Sony's console having built-in wi-fi than anything to do with paid online services.

Make babies with a co-op partner in Fable 3 -- Joystiq
We hope this isn't another one of those "no, really, the trees will grow" scenarios, because this is quite possibly the sexiest thing we've ever heard. Sure, it might lead to some horrifically awkward Xbox Live voice messages, but its raw sexiness is undeniable.
$5 says this is an achievement, leading to people on these forums begging for some sweet, sweet NN love.

Gears of War 3 Now Has Actual Worldwide Release Dates - Gears Of War 3 - Kotaku
According to an official release, Microsoft states that Gears of War 3 will be out on "April 5, 2011 in North America and Asia, April 7 in Japan, and April 8 in Europe and the rest of the world."
God dammit, I was wrong.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2010, 01:34 PM

(EDIT)
this is what i get for Firefox auto login, back to google chrome.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 13, 2010, 01:35 PM

Batman Arkham Asylum 27$
Picked this up today, for under 30$ seemed like a good deal.
I know you played this Dakar, i'm having trouble remembering your "review"?
I plan on throwing it on the shelf for a future break in new good games.

Splinter Cell also came out today, picking up my reserved copy tonight, anyone picking this up...still looking for a partner for co-op game play. Reviews are in and mostly 8/9's (short but sweet seems to be the consensus)

Rumor
Apr 13, 2010, 01:47 PM

Batman AA is a great game. Combat is well done, stealth is well done, Detective Mode is cool, lots of things to find, etc.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010, 12:50 AM

Gears 3 Trailer

Dom looked pretty old.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2010, 04:00 AM

As much as I hate the multiplayer and the bullshit achievements (like Veteran Gear & Seriously 2.0) I'll probably end up getting the game because I really enjoy going through the co-op campaign.

Rumor
Apr 14, 2010, 02:10 PM

Sadly, I never could get anyone to play through the campaign with me.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Gears 3 Trailer

Dom looked pretty old.
So does the game. I found the Gears 2 more of the same. The only exception was that the story was actually WORSE.

Both fun just really repetitive and predictable.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2010, 07:46 PM

So does the game. I found the Gears 2 more of the same. The only exception was that the story was actually WORSE.

Both fun just really repetitive and predictable.
The story is definitely pure crap, but the game is still very fun. Especially with a co-op partner on insane difficulty.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2010, 01:12 PM

More proof that the around 50% of all 360's fail. Seems accurate from my own experiences. Thing is such a POS.

http://www.destructoid.com/new-surve...--171088.phtml
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Apr 15, 2010 at 01:52 PM. )

Rumor
Apr 15, 2010, 01:36 PM

On a different note, I just finished Darksiders. The ending leaves it open to a sequel. It was pretty fun, and if the sequel comes to fruition, I will play it.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2010, 04:01 PM

More proof that the around 50% of all 360's fail. Seems accurate from my own experiences. Thing is such a POS.

Destructoid - New survey puts Xbox 360 failure rate at 42%
Odd that I've owned two that never got the RROD. I only got rid of the first (an arcade) because I got a damn good deal on a RE5 limited elite, so I sold the arcade.

Maybe I'm tempting fate by talking about it, though.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2010, 04:40 PM

You certainly are, I'm on my 4th unit.

All my machines were kept in very well-ventilated areas and gently caressed by Geisha girls every night....and they still failed!!!

Of course, thanks to my Best Buy replacement plan, I've never gone more than a couple hours without a 360.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2010, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
You certainly are, I'm on my 4th unit.

All my machines were kept in very well-ventilated areas and gently caressed by Geisha girls every night....and they still failed!!!

Of course, thanks to my Best Buy replacement plan, I've never gone more than a couple hours without a 360.
Funny thing is, I abused my arcade unit. I got it for $100 from Amazon, so I didn't really care if it lasted or not. I had it inside a cabinet for the longest time (with no ventilation). Then I moved it out, but it was still pretty poorly ventilated.

My current 360 has a PS3 slim sitting on top of it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Odd that I've owned two that never got the RROD.
I'm not sure percentages work that way

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2010, 08:39 PM

I'm not sure percentages work that way
It's odd to me because everyone I know has had an RROD except for me. I feel like I'm due or something.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 16, 2010, 10:21 AM

Friday News: NPD Edition

March NPD: Pokemon and Kratos catch all the money -- Joystiq

-DS: 701K88K (14%)
-Wii: 558K160K (40%)
-360: 338K>84K (-20%)
-PS3: 314K46K (-13%)
-PSP: 120K13K (-10%)
-PS2: 118K16K (16%)

God of War 3 - PS3 - Sony - 1.10M
Pokemon SoulSilver version - DS - Nintendo - 1.02M
Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - Square Enix - 828.2K
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - 360 - EA - 825.5K
Pokemon HeartGold version - DS - Nintendo - 761.2K
Final Fantasy XIII - 360 - Square Enix - 493.9K
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Wii - Nintendo - 457.4K
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - PS3 - EA - 451.2K
Wii Fit Plus - Wii - Nintendo - 429.6K
MLB 10: The Show - PS3 - Sony - 349.2K

Huge showing for the PS3 on the software side of things. Oddly, those sales didn't translate into any hardware movement as only the Wii showed any forward progress out of the consoles, even though its supposedly suffering from a shortage.

Also of note, FFXIII sold almost double on the PS3, but if I'm SquareEnix, I've got to be happy a port moved half a mil in the first month. Financially, that has to be a success, right?

B:BC2 continues the trend of shooters selling better on the 360 (ALmost twice as many as the PS3). Perhaps this month illustrates best where the console demographic lines are drawn?

NPD Instant Analysis: Things You Should Note - Sales - Kotaku
Fact: The PSP barely outsold the PS2, 120k to 118k.

Possible Analysis
1) The great PSP push of 2009 was a flop and not Rock Band, Assassin's Creed, LittleBigPlanet nor the PSPgo could raise this thing's fortunes. Time for PSP 3D or some other new PSP in 2010, because the current model is not cutting it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2010, 12:35 PM

I feel much better knowing how well PS2's are still selling this month, thanks. Who the heck is still buying these things?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2010, 03:53 PM

NPD: Red Steel 2 sold 50,000 copies through April 3 -- Joystiq

Gee they actually thought people bought it for other reasons other than it was one of the few Wii launch titles?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2010, 05:46 PM

Hahaha... I think Halo Reach pre-orders are currently higher than that.

Question for all you IPhone/iPod Touch users - What xbox Live friends app are you currently using? I started out using the 1337pwn iNXES app but have moved on to Friendz. I like the ability to send a message to someone without having to leave the app. iNXES forced you to log on to xbox live website.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 17, 2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post

Question for all you IPhone/iPod Touch users - What xbox Live friends app are you currently using? I started out using the 1337pwn iNXES app but have moved on to Friendz. I like the ability to send a message to someone without having to leave the app. iNXES forced you to log on to xbox live website.
I deleted 1227pwn a while back because of its unbearably slow load/use times. I just checked out "Friendz", looks good but ... it's 1.99, i haven't paid for an iPhone app (not game) since i bought Pano almost a year ago.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2010, 03:35 PM

Oh wow, it's $2 now. I got it back when it was free. I still think it's worth it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2010, 03:41 PM

Yeah, I ain't payin' for shit.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 19, 2010, 03:54 PM

Splinter Cell also came out today, picking up my reserved copy tonight, anyone picking this up...still looking for a partner for co-op game play...
Still looking for a partner for "hunter" (Terrorist hunt to fatty and I), and the co-op campaign. I attempted some "matchmaking" yesterday with absolutely horrible results, everyone i got matched with played like MW, its not run and gun... grrrr

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2010, 03:58 PM

I've been meaning to download the demo. I have a $10 credit at amazon, and this game seems like it'd be up my alley.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 19, 2010, 04:48 PM

I've been meaning to download the demo. I have a $10 credit at amazon, and this game seems like it'd be up my alley.
Campaign is short but AWESOME, tons of mutliplayer action to be had. Play the demo, let me know.

The demo sold me for sure, i'll mention that the demo is only a small taste of the badass that is fisher in this game. In previous games (not sure if you played them) there was lots of waiting/walk slow/walk slower/die/wait/die/wait/die, this is nothing like the games of old.

Forum Links
Forum Rules