Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Buying used iPod, can i keep old songs?

Buying used iPod, can i keep old songs?
otep1760
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2008, 12:44 AM

im thinking of buying a used ipod classic, the seller says it has a bit of old music and movies on it that he used. is there anyway that i can just add my music and movies to it, or do i have to erase it all and start from scratch?

Parky
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2008, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by otep1760 View Post
im thinking of buying a used ipod classic, the seller says it has a bit of old music and movies on it that he used. is there anyway that i can just add my music and movies to it, or do i have to erase it all and start from scratch?
Legally you are not allowed to keep the music on the iPod as you do not own the CD's that it was loaded from or did not buy the music from the iTunes store.

If you connect the iPod to your computer you will be told that it is synced to another computer, if you tell it to sync to your computer it will erase the contents of the iPod.

If you tell it to not sync then you will have to manually manage your music all the time.

Take your choice
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2008, 08:03 AM

legally, no.

There are utilities you can use to transfer music from an iPod to a computer - such as after a computer crash - Senuti and iPodDisk are two free ones, but there are others (search this forum).

Forum Links
Forum Rules