Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Unlocked iPhone and warranty

Unlocked iPhone and warranty
reRESERVEDFX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2008, 08:20 PM

Hey

Three days ago I bought an 8GB iPhone from AT&T store and unlocked it to work with T-Mobile. Yesterday I realized that my speaker creates a lot of distortion. As far as I know by unlocking it, I voided my warranty. So, I have a question. What can I do now in order for Apple to give me replacement? I thought about either:
- Buying a prepaid AT&T card and putting it in while restoring the software to the factory condition. (I'm just wondering whether it will require an activation)
If it will, I was wondering if I can somehow hide the Installer icon off the iPhone's desktop.
- Going back to factory settings and putting original AT&T card in it, so it looks like it's never been activated (but then how am I supposed to explain them how I found out that the speaker creates a lot of distortion?!?!?)

Please help me!

Thanks!
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4Ghz/2GB RAM/GE FORCE 8600M GT/200GB HDD
Apple Cinema Display 23"
New Mac Pro coming this summer....

mkerr64
Senior User
May 7, 2008, 10:52 PM

i dont know if they can see if you voided the warranty if you do a full restore.

i.e hold top left and middle button for 30secondsish, until the image of plugging in your iphone to your comp is displayed
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 11:05 AM

they can tell, and they won't help you I'm afraid
we don't have time to stop for gas

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
they can tell, and they won't help you I'm afraid
How? Just wondering. Is there some sort of alteration done to the bootloader than can't be reversed? Or are they just checking the IMEI with AT&T?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2008, 12:00 PM

Just restore it and put the card that it came with in. I doubt that they will be able to tell, but IDK.

mkerr64
Senior User
May 11, 2008, 10:58 PM

i dont think there is anything else you can do
R.I.P Steve Jobs

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 12, 2008, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
How? Just wondering. Is there some sort of alteration done to the bootloader than can't be reversed? Or are they just checking the IMEI with AT&T?
Yes the bootloader is permanently downgraded on the newer iPhones so if Apple goes through a lot of trouble they can tell.

But restoring it returns everything else back to out of the box conditions so they will probably not even check.

Parky
Mac Elite
May 14, 2008, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Yes the bootloader is permanently downgraded on the newer iPhones so if Apple goes through a lot of trouble they can tell.

But restoring it returns everything else back to out of the box conditions so they will probably not even check.
But they will want to see the problem with the phone BEFORE they will hand out a replacement. As this phone has never actually been activated on the AT&T network that will not be possible.

So either the fault does not exist (as the user cannot demonstrate it) OR the fault does exist and the phone has been used but not on the AT&T network, therefore it has been unlocked.

Apple will not replace this phone.
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

reRESERVEDFX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2008, 11:40 PM

So to let you all know you have to restore the iPhone from the iTunes and put old AT&T card in. It worked They have me a new iPhone which I actually returned today since I wanna wait for 3G one And the Genius actually said that unlocking the phone will not void the warranty unless u know how to hide it
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4Ghz/2GB RAM/GE FORCE 8600M GT/200GB HDD
Apple Cinema Display 23"
New Mac Pro coming this summer....

Forum Links
Forum Rules