Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > $70 a month! Activate in store!

$70 a month! Activate in store! (Page 2)
Rumor
Jun 10, 2008, 07:46 PM

Is there going to be a activation fee?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 07:55 PM

I'd guess yes since there's any activation fee for just about everything these days.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 08:45 PM

Personally, I don't care about the up-front cost of the iPhone. I still want to see the rate plan chart on apple.com as usual.

Right now, I have 2 phones with T-mobile and the contract ends on July 9. Planning to buy 2 iPhone 3G on July 11, one for my mother and one for myself. I used to have Cingular for over 3 years, but switched to T-mobile due to the poor customer service. Pretty much all the cell carriers want your money, but at&t wants more as it's the only carrier.

Activate in store? They better set up a room for unboxing.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2008, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by OSXDamon View Post
I called 1.800.MY.APPLE and was told that come July 11th, I would be able to buy the iPhone online from Apple w/o a AT&T service contract and w/o any penalty for only $199.

Some of you others call and see if you get the same response...

That makes it a CHEAP iPod Touch!

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2008, 10:44 PM

I pay just a bit more than $70 a month for THREE voice lines (no data) through AT&T. OK, I do get a discount, but not a huge one. But I have three phones on that plan, rollover minutes, etc. I think this particular "required data plan" rate is excessive.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2008, 10:50 PM

So if you buy the iPhone 3G without the subsidy for $399 can you use it with any AT&T SIM and rate plan? I don't care about the upfront cost, but I want to be able to use my company-provided SIM (which has a data plan) and costs me nothing per month to use.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by OSXDamon View Post
I called 1.800.MY.APPLE and was told that come July 11th, I would be able to buy the iPhone online from Apple w/o a AT&T service contract and w/o any penalty for only $199.

Some of you others call and see if you get the same response...
Has anyone else called to confirm this?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 11:51 PM

That goes against everything AT&T and Apple has been saying. Misinformed worker?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
iPhone 3G: $199 + (24 x $70) = $1879
original iPhone: $299 + (24 x $60) = $1739
That comparison is bogus. If you're looking at the 8GB iPhone 3G you have to compare it with the 8GB iPhone 2.5G and that one sold for $399, not $299. Apple canned the $299 4GB model a long time ago. Comparing apples to apples you then end up with what I already posted on page one

Originally Posted by Simon
24x($30-$20) = $240
$399-$199 = $200
The truth is you're paying $40 more during the first 24 months. Less than $2/month for twice the data speed doesn't sound bad to me. Of course it also means all this talk about the 3G iPhone being a whole lot cheaper is baloney.

If you stick with that plan for more than 24 months it gets more expensive compared to the first iPhone. But honestly, which geek on this board will stick with his iPhone for three years or more? Many people here are already talking about swapping their 2.5G for a 3G model. That's after just one year.

ibook_steve  (op)
Jun 11, 2008, 04:18 AM

Amazon has the 8GB 2.5G iPhone for $299. That's where I got my number from.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
So it's $10/mo more for faster data speeds. Big deal. I'm already paying an extra $20/mo for faster DSL speeds.
I had cable in my old house, I have DSL now in the new house. DSL is absolutely GLACIAL. Even at the fastest speed I'm growing old waiting for it. Especially the upstream traffic. True ... it doesn't slow down during peak usage like cable modems, but it's slow to start with.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
This is also my question. I have no need for 3G right now and I can't afford it anyways. I'd rather use WiFi in my house and am content to use the iPhone's other features until I can spring for the data plan.

If they make you buy the 3G plan then no dice, I simply can't afford it.
Stick with the current iPhone then. The new 2.0 software (Free) will get you most of what you want. (No GPS ... but beyond that you should be quite happy, and save a few bucks).
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2008, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I pay just a bit more than $70 a month for THREE voice lines (no data) through AT&T..
Same here, while I belong to Verizon, the family plan that I have is about 70 bucks for two lines. It kind makes it hard to justify doubling the cost

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 07:27 AM

In-Store activation means no more buying iPhones and selling them overseas. Apple did this to cut down on unlocked phones.

I exepect someone to figure out how to buy an iPhone 3G, sign up, reduce the contract, then cancel it (paying any fees), so they can unlock the phone or sell it.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 11, 2008, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
I had cable in my old house, I have DSL now in the new house. DSL is absolutely GLACIAL. Even at the fastest speed I'm growing old waiting for it. Especially the upstream traffic. True ... it doesn't slow down during peak usage like cable modems, but it's slow to start with.
Your particular DSL connection is unique (just like everyone else's). You get slow speeds for a number of reasons, including your plan, your telephone lines' age, and your distance from the central office or remote terminal. I have DSL that is quite snappy®, and I don't pay a huge amount for it.

And this isn't particularly on topic, is it? In general, DSL can be much faster than badly set up cable, or with crappy telephone lines it can seem like the bits move in geological time in comparison to really good cable connections. But what's that got to do with the new iPhone?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2008, 08:38 AM

Steve
Link? I'm trying to track down an unlocked 16gig.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2008, 09:13 AM

You have crappy DSL.

Sometimes it can be a problem if you live too far from the central office or you have crappy in-house lines, but sometimes it can be a problem if they just happened to put you on the wrong profile. I got my speed bumped from around 2500/300 kbps to around 4500/650 real world (on a max 5000/800 account) just by calling. It turns out they had put me on the wrong profile. Few ever complain though, which I suspect is why they're so half-assed about that when connecting people up.

Similarly, 3G can be very variable. Here in Toronto, many report speeds of over 2 Mbps with some phones. Others have speeds less than 500 Kbps.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2008, 09:28 AM

I echo Glenn and Eug's comments, you have crappy DSL. I have DSL and its very fast, its less money then cable and is quite speedy.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 09:55 AM

Stick with the current iPhone then. The new 2.0 software (Free) will get you most of what you want. (No GPS ... but beyond that you should be quite happy, and save a few bucks).
How would one go about doing so? I assume the older iPhones will no longer be available at the Apple/ATT stores, right?

Also, would I be forced to get the EDGE service for the older model too? if so I see no difference in an extra 10 dollars a month for a new device with a warranty and extra features (especially GPS, god that would be good for Boston driving)

Thanks for bearing with me, I'm a total smartphone n00b.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2008, 09:57 AM

Steve
Not doubting you but that's a good price if true (can't find it on Amazon). I know the price was $399 starting September 2007 but that's the only price cut I remember.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 10:03 AM

Sorry, I have yet another question.

My main concern in spending 70 dollars a months stems from my eventual moving into a place by myself. I've been able to afford all sorts of crap in the past when living with roommates but I'm going to be real careful with money if I am the sole bill payer in said apartment.

My question is would 3G allow me to perform the bulk of my browsing so that I could actually forgo high-speed internet costs once I'm moved in? I understand I won't be able to stream movies or any high-intensity tasks. Most of my browsing is coming here and reading various news agencies, sending e-mails, etc....

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 10:31 AM

I think you would go nuts browsing on the tiny screen.

It's great for on-the-go browsing... but would would epicly suck if it was your only portal into the world wide web.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ibook_steve  (op)
Jun 11, 2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Geofries View Post
Link? I'm trying to track down an unlocked 16gig.
Do a search for "iphone" at Amazon:

Amazon.com: iphone

Edit: Woops. That's a Touch, not an iPhone. Sorry.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 01:56 PM

Sek: How the hell are you going to use Xbox Live on a 3G network?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Your particular DSL connection is unique (just like everyone else's). You get slow speeds for a number of reasons, including your plan, your telephone lines' age, and your distance from the central office or remote terminal. I have DSL that is quite snappy®, and I don't pay a huge amount for it.

And this isn't particularly on topic, is it? In general, DSL can be much faster than badly set up cable, or with crappy telephone lines it can seem like the bits move in geological time in comparison to really good cable connections. But what's that got to do with the new iPhone?
Well .... I have the maximum speed that AT&T (Bellsouth) offers for DSL. 6MBPS down / 512k up. My speed tests show that I'm close to that down but about 384 - 400 up. Sometimes the uplink speed drops all the way down to 128k. Latency is a bit high but ....

My cable modem was rated at 10MB down and 768k up. I nearly always speed tested at 12 - 13MB down and 800k up.

Even if everything is working PERFECTLY with DSL I'm still only at a little over half the advertised cable modem speed. Prices were very close.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Sek: How the hell are you going to use Xbox Live on a 3G network?
Good point, all in all I'll probably end up paying for both and tightening the belt elsewhere.

howiej
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2008, 04:13 PM

Having worked at Apple and been a Mac zealot for many years, I really wish i could justify the overcharging here and the minor improvements with the iPhone 2.0, but I can't. I am also kind of pissed off that Apple would be so greedy and choose only one company to carry the iPhone, and that ATT puts so many restrictions on it that it's a joke.

I have a Treo 755P with Sprint that does more than the iPhone 2.0 and costs me about half of what ATT wants to charge. (iPhone - no Copy?Paste between applications?-what is up with that?)

The biggest mistake Apple made here was not just choosing ATT, but making them the sole provider. Bottom line is in the US iis that unfortunately all of the mobile companies suck, and they all have their downsides. But ATT takes the cake, having dealt with them on a corporate level for one of my jobs and gotten nowhere regarding simple SIM issues and DOA BlackBerry's. ATT does not have the greatest service area either, although of course it beats T-Mobile. Also, why would ATT roll out their 3G network in such limited areas? When Sprint and Verizon rolled out EVDO, they both covered almost their entire network. I would never pay $30-$40/month for data only when I won't get the speeds in most places.

People say GSM has an advantage because you can take it with you around the world, but this is not really a true statement. Although the iPhone has a swapable SIM cards, with the Locked iPhone, unless you hack it, you would be stuck paying $1.99/minute or more if you went to Europe or Asia. Iwould rather just pick up a phone over there in a store and not have to pay an arm and a leg to make a call or god-forbid use data.

As much as I hate Sprint , mainly due to the fact they change the rules in regards to Warranty Exchanges, have only 1 service center in the entire city of San Francisco, and are clueless as to how great their network and pricing actually are, I cannot justify signing a new 2 year deal with crappy GSM service that sounds inferior to CDMA, and paying a premium as I did for the Treo 650 years ago. I learned my lesson by going through 6 Treo 650's in a year. Luckily Sprint acknowledges their customers and after a few calls, I got a free upgrade to the 755 last year, along with a free extended battery and 4 GB memory card ! Another advantage is that I pay the measly $7.00/month for insurance that apparently you can not get with an iPhone.

Even though a lot of people hate Sprint (and i do not blame them) I must say that their pricing, call quality and insanely fast EVDO network is what keeps me with them. Bottom line is that Verizon is the only company with coverage on the fringes of metro areas. Unfortunately their charges are even worse than ATT's are. However, if you get the right plan from Sprint, you pay a measly $15.00/month for truly unlimited EVDO and if you are lucky enough to get the free roaming included, you actually roam on Verizon's EVDO network for free !

I am now paying about $125.00/month for 4 phones with 1400 anytime mins, 7 PM N/W minutes to share with all 4 phones. I also have unltd Txt and Pciture Mail for $5.00 and EVDO on my Treo and 1X on my wife's Sanyo. It does not look like any other company can come close to this plan. On top of all of that, after years of dropping calls, etc, I must say that Sprint's network has been insanely stable over the past two years. On the few occasions where I roam it works like a charm, and I even get free data roaming. Let's see ATT beat that!

I think it is time for ATT and Verizon to step up to the plate and stop ripping people off. Once the Sprint/Nextel billing systems were finally merged last year, I have not been over-charged 1 penny. Whenever I look at friends bills on ATT and Verizon, I am astonished to see how they tack on charges for everything.

I hope Apple will wake up, maybe next year, and realize that restricting the iPhone to one company and having you make a 2 year commitment is not a good way to win over new users.

Just my 2 cents

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Jun 11, 2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Geofries View Post
I'm hoping people drop the prices to about 150 on their unlocked 2g iphones and I'll snag a couple to use on tmobile.
You're dreaming. Our 2g iphones just got a lot more valuable!

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Jun 11, 2008, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by howiej View Post
People say GSM has an advantage because you can take it with you around the world, but this is not really a true statement. Although the iPhone has a swapable SIM cards, with the Locked iPhone, unless you hack it, you would be stuck paying $1.99/minute or more if you went to Europe or Asia. Iwould rather just pick up a phone over there in a store and not have to pay an arm and a leg to make a call or god-forbid use data.
Well, at least you can use a GSM phone outside of the U.S!. But in any case, the 2G iPhone is easily unlocked and I've used mine around the world with different SIM cards. It's really the way things should be. Furthermore, the whole idea of being able to change a phone's carrier and phone number, indeed its whole identity just by changing the SIM card is so wonderful that I don't know why anyone would want another system.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Jun 11, 2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
I exepect someone to figure out how to buy an iPhone 3G, sign up, reduce the contract, then cancel it (paying any fees), so they can unlock the phone or sell it.
I imagine that you'll have to return the phone in order to be able to cancel the contract. Indeed, according to an internal AT&T memo, "The BRE period will change from 14 days to 30 days and will require the device to be returned to place of purchase before service is cancelled."

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by howiej View Post
Now try to see that from the perspective of all the hundreds of millions of people who live in countries that DON'T HAVE CDMA.

As far as Apple's concerned, it's not that you can "take it with you around the world", it's that you can BUY it around the world.

One phone, worldwide.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2008, 06:03 PM

Here's another good comparison of the iPhone plus all data plans (Found it on gizmodo)

IPhone 3G: iPhone 3G's True Price Compared
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 06:09 PM

With Sprint's customer service they would have to pay me to put up with it.

Bash AT&T all you want, but please don't hold Sprint up as a better alternative.

The iPhone will do fantastic and AT&T and Apple with make tons of money at the expense of their competitors. Verizon can't whine, they had their shot.

About the only mobile company I actually like is T-Mobile. However they don't have 3G so they are out for me.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

OSXDamon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2008, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post
That makes it a CHEAP iPod Touch!
Actually it doesn't. ...If you know how to Jailbreak and have service with Tmobile.... !
Regards,
OSXDamon

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post

There's usually a lot of whining after a Jobs' keynote, but this is ridiculous.

What is it with people who feel entitled to MORE features, FASTER speeds, and a BETTER phone for LESS or EQUAL money than they are paying now?

I don't think some of you would be happy unless Apple decided to give the 3G iPhone to you for free, it was unlocked for use with any carrier, and all voice and data plans were subsidized by Apple so you don't have to pay anything.
What's difficult is that the reality distortion field is telling us that we're getting more for less, when in reality we're getting more for more.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
What is it with people who feel entitled to MORE features, FASTER speeds, and a BETTER phone for LESS or EQUAL money than they are paying now?
Well every time a new Mac comes out it is faster and the price almost always stays the same. Every time the ipod was updated you got more storage for the same price as the previous model. So why on earth would I expect to pay the same $20/month for faster internet? Because that is how the market is supposed to work.

You don't really think 4G will be $40/month and then 5G will be $50/month, etc.?

I've had my iphone for a long time now, and would have upgraded were it not for this change in monthly fees.

The question about having to pay twice for apps if you and a spouse both have iphones is also a great question since I would have given my old iphone to my wife.
Paying for 3G when it isn't in your area, another great question.

I would also like to know what I could use my iphone for if I upgrade to 3G and don't give my current phone to my wife. Could I still use it as an ipod with no SIM in it? I would like to be able to sell it as an ipod touch with speakers if possible.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 11:03 PM

Well Steve Jobs did say they would FairPlay the apps on the Apps Store. I wonder if it will be similar to what they do with music on iTunes. Do you think they will allow/authorize apps to run on 3 to 5 iPhones?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Well Steve Jobs did say they would FairPlay the apps on the Apps Store. I wonder if it will be similar to what they do with music on iTunes. Do you think they will allow/authorize apps to run on 3 to 5 iPhones?
If under a family plan, but I doubt it if people have different account names, or addresses perhaps.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2008, 11:42 PM

To everyone saying "stop whining," I have a right to whine. I want to make calls on my iPhone. I don't want to use data. And I don't want to pay $70/month to call people. Cell phone companies piss me off, and this pisses me off more.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
To everyone saying "stop whining," I have a right to whine. I want to make calls on my iPhone. I don't want to use data. And I don't want to pay $70/month to call people. Cell phone companies piss me off, and this pisses me off more.
No offense, but just because you have a right to whine doesn't mean it helps. If you don't like the product don't buy it. Simple. What good is filling this board with bitching going to do at AT&T or Apple headquarters? Buy a competitor's product, send a letter to AT&T and Apple, go on a hunger strike in Cupertino, whatever, but don't think for a moment just because you have "the right to whine" anybody here is actually interested in listening to you do it all day long.

If you don't want data and you don't want to pay big time, then just get a free cell phone from any carrier for your voice calls. If you want the iPhone's other features get an iPod touch. Wanna bet in the end that will make you happier than whining on this board?
( Last edited by Simon; Jun 12, 2008 at 03:21 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
What's difficult is that the reality distortion field is telling us that we're getting more for less, when in reality we're getting more for more.
Indeed.

What we're getting is twice the data speed with 3G over EDGE. What we're paying is effectively $1.67 a month over the course of 24 months. Unless you know you will never use 3G that sounds like quite a decent deal to me.

Rumor
Jun 12, 2008, 05:01 AM

Then why would you ever consider buying an iPhone? Fanboyism?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

moep
Senior User
Jun 12, 2008, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. It's a bit like complaining about a Ferrari's fuel mileage when all you want to do is drive around in the city.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

entrox
Senior User
Jun 12, 2008, 06:12 AM

I'd like to replace both my aging iPod (40 minutes battery life on average) and my equally aging cellphone (6 years old) with something new. The iPhone provides both in a single device. I couldn't care less about its great internet features, visual voicemail and whatever else it has - I just want an iPod that can make calls and send messages.

I'd totally pay ~500€ and just use it just like that, but the mandatory contract doesn't allow this. I can buy every other device without having to enter an obscenely expensive contract, but not the iPhone, which would do everything I wanted it to. I don't know why it's so difficult to understand?

Yes, whining about it is unproductive, but asking why you'd EVER want an iPhone if you're not going to use the internet features shows either ignorance or snobism, I'm not sure which. Going by the Ferrari comment, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Parky
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2008, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by mkerr64 View Post
i also dont like the $9.99 per application.
... you can just jailbreak right now and get them all for free
Apps will range from $0 to whatever the app designer decides to sell them at.

The price of Apps is NOT defined by Apple.
If the people who write the free apps that you have want to give them away via the Apple Store then they can do.
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Parky
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2008, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Actually the iPhone is neither really cheaper nor is the data plan much more expensive. What has changed is how you pay for it.

24x($30-$20) = $240
$399-$199 = $200

Basically this can be considered the result of the new revenue sharing agreement between Apple and AT&T. The truth is you're paying $40 over the entire 24 months for faster data transfer rates. If you use data, not such a bad deal IMHO.
In the UK the 16GB iPhone G3 is now £170 cheaper and the costs of the contracts has not gone up or changed. So in the UK the total cost of running an iPhone over the 18 month contract period has fallen by £170 ($340). You can also get a cheaper contract now in the UK, which has less minutes / SMS but still has unlimited data, saving you £60 a year.

In in effect it is now possible to run an iPhone in the UK for £230 ($460) less than it was before.
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!

Parky
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2008, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Well every time a new Mac comes out it is faster and the price almost always stays the same. Every time the ipod was updated you got more storage for the same price as the previous model. So why on earth would I expect to pay the same $20/month for faster internet? Because that is how the market is supposed to work.

You don't really think 4G will be $40/month and then 5G will be $50/month, etc.?

I've had my iphone for a long time now, and would have upgraded were it not for this change in monthly fees.

The question about having to pay twice for apps if you and a spouse both have iphones is also a great question since I would have given my old iphone to my wife.
Paying for 3G when it isn't in your area, another great question.

I would also like to know what I could use my iphone for if I upgrade to 3G and don't give my current phone to my wife. Could I still use it as an ipod with no SIM in it? I would like to be able to sell it as an ipod touch with speakers if possible.
Of course you pay twice for 2 copies of software, just as you do with other software purchases.

Parky
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2008, 07:49 AM

No one is forcing you to buy an iPhone! Just don't buy one.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 07:51 AM

No offense but why do you want an iPhone then? why not get an iTouch. The majority of features the iPhone has relies on the need for a cell plan that includes data not just voice. Makes no sense to have an iPhone and not want to use its features. Get a normal run of the mill cell phone if you want to avoid the data charges.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by entrox View Post
I'd like to replace both my aging iPod (40 minutes battery life on average) and my equally aging cellphone (6 years old) with something new. The iPhone provides both in a single device. I couldn't care less about its great internet features, visual voicemail and whatever else it has - I just want an iPod that can make calls and send messages.

I'd totally pay ~500€ and just use it just like that, but the mandatory contract doesn't allow this. I can buy every other device without having to enter an obscenely expensive contract, but not the iPhone, which would do everything I wanted it to. I don't know why it's so difficult to understand?

Yes, whining about it is unproductive, but asking why you'd EVER want an iPhone if you're not going to use the internet features shows either ignorance or snobism, I'm not sure which. Going by the Ferrari comment, I'm leaning towards the latter.
There are plenty of other cell phones out there that allow you to play MP3s. Just get one of those - why do you have to get an iPhone? Oh, because you WANT one and like the features. Then you have to pay for it. Period.

You want a Ferrari (because it's beautiful, fast, sleek, full featured, top-of-the-line) even though there are Toyotas and Hondas that do what you want (get you A to B and have a radio). See why the analogy is appropriate? If you want the Ferrari (iPhone), you are going to pay more for it. Complaining isn't going to bring the cost of ownership down.

Forum Links
Forum Rules