Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Enabling WPA has caused a delay in connecting - why?

Enabling WPA has caused a delay in connecting - why?
Buck_W
Senior User
Nov 9, 2012, 10:29 AM

Since enabling WPA on my Linksys router, requiring a password to join my wireless network, I no longer am able to automatically connect after waking from sleep. The wireless signal indicates that it is searching, but my network never initially shows up in the list. I actually have to wait until it is done searching.

After waiting, if I click on the wireless indicator, it will again search for available signals, my network eventually shows up in the list and I can click on it. I never had this trouble BEFORE enabling WPA. Is there a work around besides getting rid of the WPA altogether? I like the security of having my network password protected, but this is a hassle.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2012, 02:47 PM

One possibility that comes to mind is that it's still in your list of Preferred Networks, but with different settings, so your computer is initially trying to join it un-encrypted and failing to do so.

To check this, go into System Preferences, then Network, select AirPort/WiFi, and click the Advanced button. Then remove your network from the list of Preferred Networks.

You might also want to (at least temporarily) make sure you have checked the box "Remember networks this computer has joined."

Click OK, then Apply, and try joining the network again. Now put your computer to sleep or reboot, and see if it automatically connects again.

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Nov 10, 2012, 08:29 AM

That worked - thanks!
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2012, 09:42 AM

Great, glad to hear it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules