Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > adc to dvi converters

adc to dvi converters
gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2013, 11:43 AM

i see on e-bay quite a few of apple's adc to dvi converters that seem to go for around $100. but i also see some made by dr. botts or belkin that seem to go for between $20 and $30. do these work as well as the apple model?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

gooser  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2013, 12:07 PM

never mind. i looked on amazon. two different animals. this converter will run me more than the monitor. but i would love to hook up an intel mac mini with a 17" apple cinema display. and i just might.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2013, 12:07 PM

I cannot weigh in on the Dr. Botts created adapters. I had started a thread on these adapters a few months ago. I ended up buying an ADC->DVI without a power cord (I forget the type, but it was standard) for $60 total. The power cord I was able to acquire for free. It sucks these are still so expensive. For a time, I considered taking the ADC connection apart and making my own, but I figured it would be more hassle than it was worth so I bit the bullet and bought one. Managed to get a 22" Cinema Display for $60 total.

gooser  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2013, 12:22 PM

are you satisfied with your display and what do you have it hooked up to? (i'm thinking of a mac mini a few years old so that i can still run 10.6.) the monitor will be sitting next to a snow g3 imac with soundstick speakers. and except for the mini i'm thinking that this setup will give a real retro look. i use the g3 to mess around a few things in os9.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2013, 01:43 PM

it is attached to a mid 2007 20" iMac. it was free minus adapter, I love the look so yeah I am pretty happy with it

gooser  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2013, 03:30 PM

thanks.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2013, 03:35 PM

the brightness is noticeably lower than the iMac, but it does not bother me. also was a slight hassle to get the colors temps matching.

Thorzdad
Jan 26, 2013, 03:37 PM

I, too, wish the converters weren't so expensive. I'd love to be able to keep using my matte-screen 23" Cinema HD display into the future. It's a great screen.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2013, 05:01 PM

I have another 15" Apple Studio display I would like to use, but $50+ for an adapter is a deterrent for a 15" 4:3 screen

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2013, 02:11 PM

I've got a pair of the 20" versions I'd love to use. There was a guy selling a rigged version that ran off a G4 Cube PSU a while back. They were much cheaper.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules