Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Comcast Internet and Cable TV

Comcast Internet and Cable TV
iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2003, 05:12 PM

I used to be able to hook up my internet cable jack to my TV when I was with AT&T before it got switched over to Comcast.

During the switch, everything still worked great. But then on Tuesday night, I turned on the TV and notice that all of my channels don't work. (I don't watch TV much, the reason that I hook up my internet cable jack to my TV is because the antenna reception is really bad in my house)

The next day, my internet connection has been really unstable. It would go down for a couple of hours in the morning and at night. I don't know why.

Does anyone with Comcast know anything about this? All I want is to be able to watch TV again.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 10:10 PM

Well - if you aren't paying for that cable TV, then Comcast has every right to screw with you.

If you are paying, then I think it is time to call them.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2003, 10:17 PM

Bad signal can be lots of things (i've had them all):

Bad spitter
Frayed wire underground
Melted wire over exaust from water heater.

among others.... when it rained, the last two would cause the signal to go completely out... then after the rain... it came back... but was never good.

Called... and fixed. It's simple for them to test.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 11:03 PM

Yeah, we don't know if you pay for tv or not, may not want to mention that, but definitely give them a call if your internet is flaky. It doesnt hurt (or cost anything) for them to come test your signal and check your wire outside the house.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2003, 04:05 AM

our comcast TV has never failed, but for about a week, the internet was going down for about 5 minutes every other hour, which made file transfers difficult at best
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2003, 10:33 AM

I'm in a condo complex and we have just one cable coming into the unit and it's split among the 3 rooms installed.

Two of the rooms have TV and the 3rd is the office with the cable modem. The two Tv cables have a dongle on them to help cut down on interference from the Internet. It was installed by ATT. Maybe you're getting some kind of interference?

I haven't had hardly any trouble with the Comcast switchover. Only a few one-hour outages since they took over 3 months ago. Of course, that's more than ATT had in 3 years.

kikkoman
Senior User
Jul 19, 2003, 12:30 PM

My comcast connection has been unstable recently. A pattern? I e-mailed tech support and they told me to clear my browser cache. How dumb is that?

iRebound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2003, 06:25 PM

ok, a tech guy came over to my house yesterday and he checked the lines. he told me that comcast put something in my line to stop the cable tv signals. and there was something wrong with the pole outside.

he saw that i have a 900mhz spiltter on the cable and he told me that i needed a 1ghz spiltter from radio shack. so today i went and bought one and i tried it again and it worked.

now my internet is stable again and my tv is working. i'm happy

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2003, 08:04 PM

I just got Comcast TV and Internet out here in Chicago as well and after a week of the "registration server" going down hour by hour, I almost gave up on getting high speed hooked up, but they finally let me give my information over the phone and I was all set...major pain in the ass and loss of downtime.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2003, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by iRebound:
ok, a tech guy came over to my house yesterday and he checked the lines. he told me that comcast put something in my line to stop the cable tv signals. and there was something wrong with the pole outside.

he saw that i have a 900mhz spiltter on the cable and he told me that i needed a 1ghz spiltter from radio shack. so today i went and bought one and i tried it again and it worked.

now my internet is stable again and my tv is working. i'm happy
So he didn't mind that you don't pay for cable TV? No judgment, just curious. Correct me if I got the wrong impression from your original post.

Getting the splitter solved everything?

Forum Links
Forum Rules