Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ipod water damage

ipod water damage
in the flesh?
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 09:38 PM

i dropped my ipod in a puddle. needless to say it doesn't work anymore. it still is under warranty, but i don't think it covers that kind of damage. what should i do? if i send it in for repair will they be able to tell?

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2003, 10:26 PM

You could always lie to them saying it all of a sudden didn't work.

in the flesh?  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 10:35 PM

but would they be able to tell it was caused by water?

King_Rat
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2003, 12:37 PM

I can normally tell if something was water damaged when I take it apart. I have taken a large number of broken things apart, including a water damaged HP48G calculator and a hard drive that had been left on a roof for a few years. Needless to say, both of them were far beyond repair.

I would suggest calling them and telling them what happened; it can't hurt to ask if they will fix it under the warranty. Also be sure to check if apple ever says anything about the ipod being water resistant. If they do, it would be a good thing to know when you call. If you can't find anything, you could start your call by asking "Is the ipod water resistant?" If they say yes, then you have them... If not, then ask how much it will cost to get it fixed.

If you can't get it fixed at an acceptable price I may want to buy it from you. I won't pay that much, but I would like to take apart an ipod, and am not willing to waist the money and a good ipod on such a thing. Good luck on getting it fixed.
-King Rat

in the flesh?  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 06:53 PM

i am probably just going to send it in and see what happens. ordered service for it yesterday. hopefully they replace it.
( Last edited by in the flesh?; Dec 1, 2003 at 09:47 PM. )

in the flesh?  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2003, 01:30 AM

has anyone else dropped there ipod in water, or am i the only stupid one?

arnette
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 01:22 PM

let me know what happens with the repair service. I'm curious on how they treat you. And I don't think King_Rat knows what he's talking about. Best to send it in without having it on your record that you knew it was water damage. No sense painting yourself in a corner.

Good luck!

spaced
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by arnette:
Best to send it in without having it on your record that you knew it was water damage. No sense painting yourself in a corner.
Gosh... I hope you aren't one of those people who complains about the "high cost" of AppleCare.

King_Rat
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2003, 03:28 PM

I think that it would be worse to have it on your support record if you tell them that it just stopped working and they find that it has watter dammage. If enough water to break it got in I am sure that their repair tech will figure it out unless he is clueless. However, it may be that water did not get it it and it was getting dropped that broke it. Also, I try to be honist; if I drop my ipod in a puddle and apple never said that it is watter proof then it is my fault. Anyway, I hope that it is covered; it seems to me that the ipod should be water proof to at least a few inches.
-King Rat

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2003, 07:04 PM

FWIW, I suggest getting an extended warranty from CompUSA (if possible in your area). I believe this is for 3 years (or more) after your 1 year Apple warranty. I have never used it, but I hear (from a friend who works in the Apple dept of CompUSA) that you can pretty much do ANYTHING to your iPod and they will replace it on the spot. Things like dropping it in water, lighting it on fire, using it as a skateboard, etc. And if your model is discontinued, they will replace it with a comparable new model.

Said friend told me that he dealt with a customer who jumped in a lake with his iPod in his pocket. They exchanged it on the spot. A few weeks later the same guy comes back in and says "I did it again." (jumped in the lake with iPod), and they exchanged that one.

Again, I have never had to actually use this warranty yet, but this is what I've been told.

in the flesh?  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 03:54 PM

i sent it in and if they replace it great, otherwise i won't be mad. it was my fault. a guy i know has a friend who works at a store that sells them and he said i could probably just exchange it at the store.

cassiemazurek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2008, 06:24 PM

i washed my ipod about 3 or 4 months ago and i havent gotten it to work since... any advice?

OreoCookie
Apr 26, 2008, 07:30 PM

It's dead, Jim. Your iPod and this thread
(I've dropped my iPod into the sink while washing dishes. It shorted out the circuitry and there is no way to fix it.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules