Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > powermac to powerbook

powermac to powerbook
in the flesh?
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 10:01 PM

i have a powermac dual 533 and a 12" rev b pb. i have an aiport extreme card in my powerbook. at home i only have a 56k dialup connection. i was wondering what would be the cheapest and simplest way that i could use the powermac to dialup to the internet and use the powerbook to surf the internet wirelessly. I would also like to use the powermac as a print server and be able to share files between the two all wirelessly. thankks for any input provided.

John Strung
Senior User
Dec 4, 2003, 10:56 PM

One possibility would be to get an SMC 7004AWBR wireless router. You can get one fairly cheaply. It has a serial port to attach a PC style external modem. You should be able to get a used one cheaply as a lot of people are selling theirs and changing to ethernet.

Connect the modem to the SMC. One computer can connect to one of the 3 wired ports on the SMC and the other can connect wirelessly.

The SMC also has a built-in print server to connect to a PC type parallel port printer although not everyone has been able to get the print server working with a Mac, particularly using Panther.

in the flesh?  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2003, 05:12 AM

what if i buy an airport card, would that work? would any other companies cards work in the powermac that are chearper?
( Last edited by in the flesh?; Dec 7, 2003 at 02:29 AM. )

in the flesh?  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2003, 02:29 AM

anyone?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 7, 2003, 11:08 AM

I think John's suggestion is your best bet. And you aren't limited to SMC products, either. Siemens makes a router that supports a PC-type modem too, and if you shop around you can find this type of product for WAY less than any AirPort (or third party) card. You also don't have to worry about finding a driver, needing a spare slot/adapter, and where to stick the antenna on a PowerMac.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

si_lance
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2003, 09:35 PM

You could get the powermac a wireless card and run it as your base station, although I heard that this functionality was broken in Panther. If it does work then all you need to do is ssh/telnet/remotedesktop to the server and init its dial-up connection. I know people who do this using FreeBSD/natd/serial modems so I can't see why OS X can't. This way is cheaper, but the other people's suggestions are better IMHO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules