Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > If the PowerBook G5 doesn't come out by September...

If the PowerBook G5 doesn't come out by September...
tavilach
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 12:19 AM

If the PowerBook G5 doesn't come out by September, what do I do?

People are telling me that spending $2,000 - $3,000 on a laptop that is essentially the equivalent of an iMac is a complete waste of money, despite the fact that the PowerBook G4 is indeed an amazing machine. They simply say that, because I'd be using it as a desktop replacement as well, it simply is not worth the money. Once again, I will be using it as a desktop replacement as well...this is key.

So...what do I do, if I need a laptop for college, yet the PowerBook G5 does not come out?

Do I buy a Pismo on eBay for $300, and a (desktop) G5? Do I just buy a Pismo (this seems to be a bit of a no-no, since I'll be doing some processor-intensive stuff as an engineering major)? Do I buy a cheap PC laptop and a (desktop) G5? Do I buy a decent PC laptop to use as a desktop replacement until the PowerBook G5 comes out, in which case I would have to wait a while to get the PowerBook (since I'm not rich)...and perhaps by that time I'd have graduated...

Help!

Thanks.

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

booshi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2004, 12:28 AM

Do you really need that much power? Unless you are heavy into graphics or video editing, I don't see what's wrong with a PowerBook. My only computer is a PowerBook (15" 1.25GHz) and I have no problems whatsoever. I use Photoshop and GarageBand, etc often and my machine performs great. Unless you want a laptop that is as fast as a desktop then you usually have to opt for one that weighs a ton. Weigh what you need the most, ie portability, power, graphics, etc. I'm in college too and my 15" PB is great for taking notes in classes (when I can - not easy in technical courses) and I can use the wireless in a lot of the buildings on campus. I carry Wakefield (my PB) everywhere with me, and it's the best. A lot of PC laptops are really cruddy, so read well into them. When I started this year my dad bought me a Dell that died, and then I finally got my PowerBook. The Dell never went anywhere with me, and although it had a P4 3.06GHz, it was still a Dell and a Windows machine and therefore wasn't spectacular. Wow, rant.

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2004, 12:29 AM

im gonna buy a g5, hopefully, and then when i get to college, or maybe half way through, upgrade my pismo and takes notes for class on it. ill have a 900mhz g3 laptop with 1gb ram and a 30gb hd :-)

and at home....... a g5!
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by booshi:
Do you really need that much power? Unless you are heavy into graphics or video editing, I don't see what's wrong with a PowerBook. My only computer is a PowerBook (15" 1.25GHz) and I have no problems whatsoever. I use Photoshop and GarageBand, etc often and my machine performs great. Unless you want a laptop that is as fast as a desktop then you usually have to opt for one that weighs a ton. Weigh what you need the most, ie portability, power, graphics, etc. I'm in college too and my 15" PB is great for taking notes in classes (when I can - not easy in technical courses) and I can use the wireless in a lot of the buildings on campus. I carry Wakefield (my PB) everywhere with me, and it's the best. A lot of PC laptops are really cruddy, so read well into them. When I started this year my dad bought me a Dell that died, and then I finally got my PowerBook. The Dell never went anywhere with me, and although it had a P4 3.06GHz, it was still a Dell and a Windows machine and therefore wasn't spectacular. Wow, rant.
I would love it to be as fast as a desktop, but I guess portability is important.

I'm planning on getting a 15", and its thinosity is truly amazing.

Just...I want my money's worth...you know?

...but I also really want a Mac and I really don't want a PC. You see, I have a PC now, and I've had PC's all my life. I've been obsessed with Macs, however, for the past 7 or 8 months, and I wouldn't really be able to live with myself if I didn't get one.

Oh, the horror!

What a dillema...
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 19, 2004, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by tavilach:

People are telling me that spending $2,000 - $3,000 on a laptop that is essentially the equivalent of an iMac is a complete waste of money, despite the fact that the PowerBook G4 is indeed an amazing machine.
Those people are what we refer to as "dumb."

I would rather use my G4 now than twiddle my thumbs and wait on a theoretical G5.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
Those people are what we refer to as "dumb."

I would rather use my G4 now than twiddle my thumbs and wait on a theoretical G5.
No, this is an MIT applicant we're talking about. He isn't "dumb."

You must also take into consideration that in September, if the G5 isn't already released, the wait won't be long at all...so it seems even more stupid to buy a G4 at that point...

I'm so confused! Help! More comments!

Tomster
Senior User
Feb 19, 2004, 02:31 AM

Key word. Applicant. Getting accepted, then graduating is a bit more meaningful. What is a bit weird is referring to oneself in the third person.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2004, 02:51 AM

If you need a powerful computer get yourself a G5 for home use and buy an iBook g3 for a portable. Although the Pismo is a stable computer, an iBook G3 can be much faster with combo drives available. Take a look on ebay and they're roughly around $600 dollars for a real decent iBook and you could have the best of both worlds. I also believe that most people who buy computers dont need as much "power" as they think they need, and portability with some gusto isn't as bad an investment as your friend makes it out to be. My PB is my only computer and it does its job wonderfully, from Final Cut to PS to web surfing to garageband. Do some research right now till when your ready to buy your computer and you'll know what you need when you take the plunge.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by Tomster:
Key word. Applicant. Getting accepted, then graduating is a bit more meaningful. What is a bit weird is referring to oneself in the third person.
No, you [I edited "moron" out, replacing it with "insensitive clod "] insensitive clod ." My friend is an MIT applicant. So am I. And although it means little, most morons do not apply there...it would be a waste of money.

Please don't accuse me of...I don't know what you're exactly accusing me of...but...yeah.
( Last edited by tavilach; Feb 19, 2004 at 04:05 AM. )

Tomster
Senior User
Feb 19, 2004, 03:32 AM

No, you moron.
Nice. Listen flamebait high school dweller, nowhere is it evident in your writing, you were referring to a third person. First post is in first person. Second is in first person. Third post is in third. Now play nice and apologize.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Cellery
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 03:34 AM

If the PowerBook G5 doesn't come out by September, what do I do?
Good question, but it's February. The market and lineup will definitely change in 7 months, so the good old wait and see would be your best option. Are you looking to decide now what you should do in September? Anything you decide now will be moot since no one here knows what Apple has in the pipeline.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 04:03 AM

Originally posted by Tomster:
Nice. Listen flamebait high school dweller, nowhere is it evident in your writing, you were referring to a third person. First post is in first person. Second is in first person. Third post is in third. Now play nice and apologize.
Hey now!

Can't we all just get along?

I'm not flamebait .

I didn't understand what you were referring to...now I see that you are talking about the "we're" as opposed to the "I'm"...and I think both of us know very well that "we're," while it is not grammatically correct in that context, makes perfect sense.

But, whatever floats your boat: I am sorry.

And I sincerely am sorry for exploding.

Peace is good .

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2004, 05:12 AM

If you and your friend both get accepted, how about each get whatever portable they like that is available in August and go half on a G5 to use as a data store, distributed compiling, etc.

On a performance note, my 1Ghz 15" AlBook 768MB Ram is my only computer at home and I do some moderately large software project compiles, some light 3D, and iMovie stuff without a hitch.

Lastly,
I doubt that G5 powerbooks will be available in Sept but perhaps they'll be announced.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2004, 05:50 AM

Tav --- be nice...... people are here to help, treat them with respect

with regards to the laptop

a G4 will run OS X and most applications VERY WELL

if you are doing VPC, FCP 4, or some other applications that are VERY heavy, then sure, wait for the G5

as I mentioned before -- if you don't need OPTIMUM power, then go for the G4

otherwise... I would have to say just to wait.... MIT has great computer labs --- use it for your first fall semester and treat yourself to a kick ass computer later
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 10:35 AM

I have a friend who is EE/CS at MIT... he wants a mac but claims that he cant use most of the software he needs on a mac...

so think about that

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 11:05 AM

Is there even a G4 roadmap anymore?

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 19, 2004, 11:16 AM

No, you [I edited "moron" out, replacing it with "insensitive clod "] insensitive clod ." My friend is an MIT applicant. So am I. And although it means little, most morons do not apply there...it would be a waste of money.

Please don't accuse me of...I don't know what you're exactly accusing me of...but...yeah.
Why do you have an Apple logo in your signature if you don't even own a Mac?

And you're an "applicant"?

The wannabe detector's pegged.

PeterKG
Senior User
Feb 19, 2004, 11:32 AM

Just because someone is smart enough to be accepted at MIT doesn't mean that they have any common sense. You can be as smart as hell and still not be able to function in the world.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2004, 11:53 AM

Back on topic...

These new G5 970FX PowerTune specs are quite impressive.

There will definitely be a G5 PowerBook announcement by September. I'll predict a G5 1.5-1.6 for a 15" PowerBook.

velodev
Senior User
Feb 19, 2004, 02:35 PM

God I am so bored of others and their indecision. Why bother us with so many posts asking us what you should do?

I am not trying to bait an argument... but am I the only one sick of these debates? Buy a Powerbook G4 now, sell it or trade it in for a Powerbook G5. There... easy as pie.

velodev
Senior User
Feb 19, 2004, 02:42 PM

... and I wouldn't really be able to live with myself if I didn't get one.

Oh, the horror!

What a dillema...
I maybe be obsessed with having many macs and I know I fall for instant gratification but dude, you sound like a child.

It's not a dillema. You are buying technology. Technology has NEVER given a rat's a** about the consumer getting its money worth. Never. Never.

I recently bought an LCD projection TV. It had HD and it was sized right. Did I care about getting my money's worth in case a new technology comes out next year. No. Did I shop for a deal? Yep. Take my actions as tips in your search to get a grip. Buy the machine if you need now. Buy the machine in Sept. if you need it then.

This isn't like buying a Von Dutch hat and having all the other peers think you're cool. It's a computer. It may be the best computer in some opinions, but it's a computer. You compute with it, you don't walk down the catwalk in a fashion show.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2004, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by velodev:
God I am so bored of others and their indecision.
So why are you here? Simply to berate the original poster?

agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2004, 03:14 PM

i was gonna wait for teh G5 powerbook, but then ended up getting the G4 in september. Glad I did.

it's perfect for now.. by the time I want a new computer I'll get a 2nd generation G5 powerbook.
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

velodev
Senior User
Feb 19, 2004, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
So why are you here? Simply to berate the original poster?
To make that specific comment. However the PowerBook forum is not specifically designed for others to post "Should I buy teh PowerBook now or..."

And also in my post, I asked if I am the only one who is bothered by these posts. Did you read the entire post?

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by PeterKG:
Just because someone is smart enough to be accepted at MIT doesn't mean that they have any common sense. You can be as smart as hell and still not be able to function in the world.
look at the Rain Man

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2004, 04:29 PM

Sorry about all the flack you're getting--that shouldn't happen. What can I say: This isn't the Age of Enlightenment, and it definitely isn't the Age of Reason. What about calling it the Age of Anger?

Anyway, back to the question: You really need to check out what software you're going to need to run. If it's primarily PC-based, as one focused poster pointed out, then that's the way to go.

Either Mac or PC, the same buying strategy applies: Wait for the back-to-school specials, to see if you can get better deals and free stuff. Next strategy: Get whatever is gonna last you for 2 years--don't plan beyond that. Note: Don't buy first generation products, regardless who they're from, unless you enjoy being the guinea pig.

velodev
Senior User
Feb 19, 2004, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by amazing:
Sorry about all the flack you're getting--that shouldn't happen. What can I say: This isn't the Age of Enlightenment, and it definitely isn't the Age of Reason. What about calling it the Age of Anger?

Anyway, back to the question: You really need to check out what software you're going to need to run. If it's primarily PC-based, as one focused poster pointed out, then that's the way to go.

Either Mac or PC, the same buying strategy applies: Wait for the back-to-school specials, to see if you can get better deals and free stuff. Next strategy: Get whatever is gonna last you for 2 years--don't plan beyond that. Note: Don't buy first generation products, regardless who they're from, unless you enjoy being the guinea pig.
This is probably the best advice in this thread. I do apologize for my backlash. I should be welcoming new Mac users as I would prefer if there were more of us. I hope you make the right decision. I would also suggest any of the other threads recently of people in the same shoes as you.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by amazing:

Good advice! But hmm...if the PowerBook G5 is out, but it's first generation, I shouldn't get it?

...and I feel that at MIT, a lot of people do use Linux...and I get all that software...so it doesn't seem like a real problem to me.

This is probably the best advice in this thread. I do apologize for my backlash. I should be welcoming new Mac users as I would prefer if there were more of us. I hope you make the right decision. I would also suggest any of the other threads recently of people in the same shoes as you.
That makes me a feel a whole lot better...was beginning to think the Mac community simply despied me

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2004, 09:12 PM

You don't need as much power as you think. College students pretty much use their computers for music, web surfing, email, and downloading stupid internet movies. Unless you're a film or photography student, you won't need a lot of power.

I'm a physics major, and all my machines, PIII 700, Celeron 900, 867 Albook, G4 cube, all have pleanty of power to do all of my physics work. It's all about numerical methods when you're an engineer, and any machine can do it. I think the longest I've ever waited for a computation was like 2 or 3 minutes, and that was once or twice.

Don't worry about it.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 09:51 PM

Back on topic...

There will definitely be a G5 PowerBook announcement by September. I'll predict a G5 1.5-1.6 for a 15" PowerBook.
That's poor specs for September time any way you look at it. PC notebooks will be running at 3.5-4Ghz by then. No point calling it a Powerbook if performance is sub par and half the speed of a Power Mac.

If it comes out in the next few months then fine, but by September to December they better be at least 2Ghz otherwise yet again the Powerbook and Power Mac performance will have a massive performance difference. There's a large enough gap already right now. Just a year ago this gap was minimal.

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2004, 04:44 AM

i think it's more about getting value for your money. $3000 for old technology is no kind of fun at all.

if you know you won't be able to upgrade for a good two-three years after your purchase, wait for a G5. You want this computer to last, don't you? I'm working on a G4 550, and man, I am READY to upgrade. Knowing that a next generation powerbook is on the horizon keeps me from doing it.

g

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2004, 06:25 AM

As a student you really don't run anything intensive. Mathematica is pretty much as powerful as it gets, and that runs fine on a G3/333 (like my sister's grape iMac). And really, the only things that take advantage of the 64-bit processing right now are Apple's apps, photoshop, and a couple other things.

If ripping a CD in 4 minutes instead of 6 makes that much of a difference to you, go for the G5. Otherwise, chill. You don't need a G5 for what you're doing.

(Though if you go into 3D animation and rendering, by all means go for it.)
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2004, 06:38 AM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
That's poor specs for September time any way you look at it. PC notebooks will be running at 3.5-4Ghz by then. No point calling it a Powerbook if performance is sub par and half the speed of a Power Mac.
You mean like since last August until probably the end of this year?

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 07:27 AM

Get a PC then, a 3.4EGHz Prescott if you need all that power.
PowerBook G4
1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/BT/APX/Backlit KB

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2004, 08:46 AM

That's poor specs for September time any way you look at it. PC notebooks will be running at 3.5-4Ghz by then.
Notebooks running desktop chips or desktop-like chips don't count in my (note)book.

I wouldn't get any PC laptop unless it ran Pentium M (which will max out at 2 GHz or less by the end of summer). A 1.6 GHz G5 won't be as fast, but will make for a reasonable laptop machine.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 11:13 AM

Notebooks running desktop chips or desktop-like chips don't count in my (note)book.
Why not? Intel and AMD are making huge advances and once they are both down to 90n or less then they'll not only have tremendoes performance but long battery life too.

The Sonoma/Centrino 2 is probably the most effective CPU ever made and for a 32 bit CPU it seems to be able to perform just as well as a G5 at the same clockspeed when you consider a 1.7 Ghz P-M performs as well as a 3Ghz PIV, so does a single 1.8-2Ghz G5.

PC laptops have that CPU now. If Apple is at 2Ghz with the Powerbook G5 by the end of the year that's still nto enough. The Centrino 2 will be at roughly 2.5Ghz and will be performing as well as a 3.5-4Ghz PIV (Intel is phasing out the use of PIV for laptops http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/51/35694.html)

To really impress the market, Apple needs to be at around 2.5Ghz by the end of the year. That will still be much slower than the Dual 3Ghz Power Mac Apple predicts it will have out this year.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2004, 11:34 AM

Why not? Intel and AMD are making huge advances and once they are both down to 90n or less then they'll not only have tremendoes performance but long battery life too.

The Sonoma/Centrino 2 is probably the most effective CPU ever made and for a 32 bit CPU it seems to be able to perform just as well as a G5 at the same clockspeed when you consider a 1.7 Ghz P-M performs as well as a 3Ghz PIV, so does a single 1.8-2Ghz G5.

PC laptops have that CPU now. If Apple is at 2Ghz with the Powerbook G5 by the end of the year that's still nto enough. The Centrino 2 will be at roughly 2.5Ghz and will be performing as well as a 3.5-4Ghz PIV (Intel is phasing out the use of PIV for laptops http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/51/35694.html)

To really impress the market, Apple needs to be at around 2.5Ghz by the end of the year. That will still be much slower than the Dual 3Ghz Power Mac Apple predicts it will have out this year.
I disagree totally.

First of all, a 1.7 GHz Pentium M doesn't perform anywhere near the performance of a 3 GHz P4 on average, and neither does a 1.8 GHz G5. Even a 2.0 GHz G5 on average isn't as fast a 3 GHz P4.

Second, a 3 GHz Mobile Pentium 4 in a laptop has poor battery life, and all the designs I've seen with these are pretty clunky anyway. There's no such thing as a very portable light Wintel laptop with a 3 GHz Mobile Pentium 4.

Third, a 90 nm desktop Pentium 4 uses huge amounts of power, and more power than a 130 nm desktop Pentium 4. 90 nm per se does not inherently a cool CPU make.

Fourth, Dothan (Centrino 2) is expected to hit around 2 GHz (not 2.5 GHz) by the end of 2004.

Apple needs to compete with Centrino/Centrino 2, and while I'd like to see G5 clock speeds faster than Centrino 2, I think it's unlikely to happen, at least in 2004.

I stand by my original predictions. G5 1.6 by Sept. 2004. 1.8 GHz is plausible but I wouldn't count on it. And if that's not fast enough for you, fortunately for you there will be other non-Apple options available.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 11:38 AM

I disagree totally.

First of all, a 1.7 GHz Pentium M doesn't perform anywhere near the performance of a 3 GHz P4 on average, and neither does a 1.8 GHz G5. Even a 2.0 GHz G5 on average isn't as fast a 3 GHz P4.
I have to disagree with this bit. PC Pro's and other benchmarks had the 1.6Ghz Centrino performing as well as a 2.8Ghz PIV at the time Centrino came out. This very forum was talking about it if you remember. This was for a vast number of benchmarks, the PIV was only better at games.

Isn't Apple and some other benchmarks pegging the Dual 2Ghz G5 at the same speed as a Dual 3Ghz Xeon?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2004, 11:55 AM

I have to disagree with this bit. PC Pro's and other benchmarks had the 1.6Ghz Centrino performing as well as a 2.8Ghz PIV at the time Centrino came out. This very forum was talking about it if you remember. This was for a vast number of benchmarks, the PIV was only better at games.
I suggest you go recheck the benchmarks, now that more are out. On average, a 2.8 GHz desktop P4 will destroy a Pentium M 1.6. But that's not the point of the Pentium M. The Pentium M is built for low power usage with reasonable performance (not top tier performance). And with that goal in mind, the Pentium M excels.
Isn't Apple and some other benchmarks pegging the Dual 2Ghz G5 at the same speed as a Dual 3Ghz Xeon?
Yes, Apple says that, but that's Apple. Two things:

1) Apple will only publish the benchmarks that makes the G5 look good obviously. It's true that a 2 GHz G5 will perform as well as a 3 GHz P4 for some tests, but for other test a 2 GHz G5 will perform only as well as say a 2.53 GHz P4.

2) The Xeons tested have a 533 MHz bus. P4s have an 800 MHz bus.

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2004, 12:25 PM

I'm with Eug on this one. We won't be seeing 2.5 GHz in a PowerBook this year; it's just not possible. Definitely at least 1.6, a good chance of 1.8, and a slim but measurable chance of 2.0 (I think).

Inability to put the very fastest desktop processors in a PowerBook doesn't mean they shouldn't do what they can. A 1.6 or 1.8 G5 would still be way the hell better than what they're shipping now.

If I didn't already have a Mac, I too would be in a quandary right now. As an owner of a TiBook 550, though, I can hold out on upgrading until things look better.

Oh, and I also disagree with whoever asserted that the current PowerBooks are "a waste of money." They may be in need of a kick in the pants, performance-wise, but they're still finely engineered machines that will do the job nicely for most uses.

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2004, 12:44 PM

God I am so bored of others and their indecision. Why bother us with so many posts asking us what you should do?

I am not trying to bait an argument... but am I the only one sick of these debates? Buy a Powerbook G4 now, sell it or trade it in for a Powerbook G5. There... easy as pie.

I agree 100%

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2004, 12:47 PM

You can be a moron AND be an MIT applicant. I know MIT graduates that are morons.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 20, 2004, 01:31 PM

According to the FedEx tracking info, my new build-to-order PowerBook will be arriving within the hour.

It doesn't take a McDonalds applicant to understand that I will able to get REAL work done on my PowerBook today.

And by the time the G5 PowerBooks are available, I will have made enough $$$ from using my PowerBook to pay for the next upgrade.

PowerBooks. They pay for themselves within a few months.

Class dismissed.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 02:56 PM

to the original question:

I think your decision will be based on what happens with the next powerbook revision that we should be seeing in the next month or two. If they are still G4 based as expected, then I think you'll probably find that the G5 won't make it in for at least 6 months, which may not be in time for your September deadline. So, either use the labs at school for half of a semester, buy an old pismo for the meantime and sell it for roughly the same price, or get the current model.

Who knows, maybe they'll go G5 with this next revision and you won't have anything to worry about (except if you want to wait until rev B )

As you'll see, the being a mac user and playing the waiting game go hand in hand.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2004, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by sworthy:
If they are still G4 based as expected
Expected by whom? I'm expecting a G5, and I think a revised G4 is much less likely. I'm not expecting next month though.

ie. Next update G5, but it may be a fairly long time before it's updated.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by neilw:
I'm with Eug on this one. We won't be seeing 2.5 GHz in a PowerBook this year; it's just not possible. .
I didn't say that was going to happen. I said that's what Apple needed if they want to boost consumer confidence and compete in terms of speed with other laptops.

teknik
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2004, 04:28 PM

I can possibly see a G5 PB in Sept/October, but only around 1.5 ghz

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2004, 04:48 PM

I would get a G4 ibook for now, sell it when a G5 powerbook comes out.

Apples hold thier value really well, (almost to much on ebay) so you wont have a problem getting what its worth.

The G4 ibooks are crazy bang for your buck and you can get used to the Apple feel before you get the "Big Dog"

Thats what I would do, well I bought a 15' 1.25, so I guess thats what I would do if I was you

Force
Force

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by teknik:
I can possibly see a G5 PB in Sept/October, but only around 1.5 ghz

I wouldn't buy it. Just not enough of a performance improvement over the current models and most probably neutered too.

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2004, 11:26 PM

If I were to get a powerbook I'd definately wait for the g5.

err.. that's because if I did I'd probably dump 2-3k on one.. and I'd want it to last me a LONG time.
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules