Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Potential Convert, need convincing

Potential Convert, need convincing
whiteboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2004, 10:29 AM

I know these threads have been beaten to death, but I think some of these are newish questions.

First off, I�m going to be attending college at SMU in Dallas starting in August and will be buying a laptop. I�ve never used a Mac, but after years of PC use, I�m just kind of sick of all the little stuff that goes wrong. So, you�ve got a potential switcher here (I just have to convince my father that I won�t have compatibility issues or stick out like a sore thumb.)

I�ll be majoring in business�a field that is certainly dominated by the PC. From my lurking here I don�t think I would have any compatibility issues as it seems files can be swapped between the two platforms with no problems. Also, I don�t think there are any business specific programs so getting Office for the Mac would be my only necessity.

Next, a funny question, but a concern of my Father�s nevertheless. Being from the South, we are both of the Republican persuasion and while I embrace the Mac for its innovation, he views Macintosh as a very left company (probably true, but I don�t think it�s a problem.) What are your thoughts? Any Republican users?

I just think that a 15� Powerbook with the faster HD and single 512 MB stick of ram (so I can upgrade later) would be a good match for me. I really only use computers for surfing the web, email, chatting to friends, and using Office programs. I think the iLife suite would greatly enhance my computer experience and allow me to expand my horizon. I�d like to get into more digital photography, maybe movies, and would definitely like to try web design.

Thank you for your thoughts and any advice you can give me. Ultimately, my Dad is ok with whatever computer choice I make, as long as it will work for me. Sorry for the long-winded post�I really appreciate this forum and all the good advice I�ve already gleaned from other posts.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by whiteboy:
Next, a funny question, but a concern of my Father�s nevertheless. Being from the South, we are both of the Republican persuasion and while I embrace the Mac for its innovation, he views Macintosh as a very left company (probably true, but I don�t think it�s a problem.) What are your thoughts? Any Republican users?
Steve Jobs, the CEO of Apple, is particularly "liberal" himself but Apple is as capitalist pig-dog a company as any other - they are a business with shareholders to placate after-all.

Any Republican users? Far, far too many

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 11:13 AM

Just check out the Political/War Lounge. Remember that since this is MacNN, probably 90% of the posters are Mac users.

I've also heard that Rush Limbaugh is a huge proponent of Macs, while Michael Moore is fairly indifferent towards them.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 11:16 AM

Just tell him Rush Limbaugh is a Mac zealot, which is true. He even mentioned the other day that Apple will not advertise on his show. I don't see why they have to because he mentions his beloved Macs all the time.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 12:35 PM

I am an engineering student at Cornell. Engineering is a field also dominated by PC's. Some of my classes require me to do work on programs for which there is not a Mac version. Not a big deal - I just go to one of the engineering computer labs and do my work there. I own a 12" revision B PowerBook (1 GHz) and I use it for all my personal stuff (emails, web, etc.). Cornell has wireless networks in certain areas of campus and I use it to connect and get on there. My PowerBook has excellent wireless reception - in some areas I get 2 bars out of 4, where my friends with PC laptops cannot even see the network.

When you say that "business is dominated by PC's" do you mean that most people use PC's for MS Office-type work, or that there are many business programs that are only available for PC? If the case is the former, get a PowerBook and don't think twice about it. MS Office cross-platform compatibility is great. If the case is the latter, the choice might be a little bit harder. But, I can almost guarantee that whatever programs you'll need for your classes will be available in computer labs. And unless you really want to use them on your personal computer, and are willing to buy them, this isn't an issue.

Look, the current PowerBook models are great. Just get one and you'll love it. Get it soon so you'll have the summer to get familiar with it, and by the time you go to school in the fall, you'll be wondering how you ever got along without a PowreBook. I recommend the 12" ($1400) or 15" ($1800) PowerBooks, or if you're short on cash, a 12" iBook ($1100). Oh, and don't let politics affect your decision!!
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

whiteboy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2004, 02:01 PM

Thanks all of you, just what I wanted to hear. I really don't think there are any business specific programs (other than one real time stock market tracker, but that's on one big computer in the B School.) If I can make office documents and share them with PC users with no problems, I'm set!

I think i'll wait till the first week of July to order just incase Apple brings back an Ipod incentives. I already have a 20gb pod, but getting a free one could definately help recoup the costs or serve as a good thank you gift for the rents....

davechen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2004, 11:56 PM

Doesn't Dubya use a Mac? I thought I heard that.

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 11:18 AM

I'm a VERY PROUD Republican-Apple User (I'm also Muslim --- does it get any more controversial???)

reasons why Mac is a Republican company ---

1. Yes, I believe that Dubya does use a Mac

2. So does Al Sharpton, and he actually annoys most Dems

3. Apple employs TONS of people and brings AMAZING jobs to the country....because of Apple, America's economy is better and people are given jobs!

4. Apple is an AMERICAN company...... unlike many Windoze manufacturers

5. I believe that Bill Gates doesn't give any money to Republicans..... so you can't really say that Wintel is any better with the REpublican stuff

6. According to www.opensecrets.com, Steve Jobs has NEVER given any money to a John Kerry campaign, including the current one --- he has given to Ted Kennedy, but that was 5 years ago --- Laurene Jobs has also NEVER given to John Kerry's campaign, including the current one

link -

http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/se...e3=2000&Page=2

7. They gave money to Senator Evan Bayh, and despite being a Democrat, he always votes for Dubya's Tax Cuts!

Lastly, being a Republican isn't about putting restrictions upon things...... Democrats are the ones who screw up our economy by putting Tariffs on great products, or high taxes upon great businesses that are doing wonderful things.... by ruling out Macs, simply because of so-called political relationships would, inherently, be like putting a Tarrif, or government restriction, upon your own consumer needs --- Republicans always choose quality over political fickleness, no matter what the circumstances

By getting a Mac, you would learn more, be more efficient, and be better-skilled..... thus not only turning you into a smarter person, but a better person -- and an intelligent Republican is never a bad thing

Taking a route that doesn't allow for your FULLEST efficiency would be sacreligious to any Republican! Democrats are the ones who restrict their own efficiency for the purposes of running their patronage systems....

So in the words of President Reagan, WHITEBOY "TEAR DOWN THIS WALL" and allow yourself to intoxicate within the beauty that is APPLE!!!!
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

Alec006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2004, 01:59 PM

2. So does Al Sharpton, and he actually annoys most Dems
im sorry, I don�t even know where to begin with this one...because someone who annoys you uses your hardware, that means the hardware company supports and ideology counter to yours? What a wonderful example of logic�

3. Apple employs TONS of people and brings AMAZING jobs to the country....because of Apple, America's economy is better and people are given jobs!
Kinda like the plant they just closed in Folsom, California, and then kept the reasons for the layoffs completely secret.

4. Apple is an AMERICAN company...... unlike many Windoze manufacturers
maybe thats part of the reason why their gear is sooo expensive, what happened to to the Republican ideal of free market competition to bring the best prices to consumers?

5. I believe that Bill Gates doesn't give any money to Republicans..... so you can't really say that Wintel is any better with the REpublican stuff
What?!

6. According to www.opensecrets.com, Steve Jobs has NEVER given any money to a John Kerry campaign, including the current one --- he has given to Ted Kennedy, but that was 5 years ago --- Laurene Jobs has also NEVER given to John Kerry's campaign, including the current one
ive never given money to john kerry, so obviously im a republican... because the only factor in determining ones political ideology is whether or not they give money to a presidential candidate...hmmm

Lastly, being a Republican isn't about putting restrictions upon things...... Democrats are the ones who screw up our economy by putting Tariffs on great products
oh you mean like the largest farm subsidies in history enacted by current president Bush? or maybe your refering to the steel tariffs Bush enacted before the WTO declared them illegal...

Republicans always choose quality over political fickleness, no matter what the circumstances
oh you mean like when Bush claimed that John McCain�s adopted child, was in fact the product of an illegitimate relationship with a black prostitute just because of the color of the child�s skin?

By getting a Mac, you would learn more, be more efficient, and be better-skilled..... thus not only turning you into a smarter person, but a better person -- and an intelligent Republican is never a bad thing
if using a mac gives me the logic skills displayed here, I think im going to cancel the new powerbook i just ordered and stick with my dell...

Democrats are the ones who restrict their own efficiency for the purposes of running their patronage systems....
patronage systems�hmmm, you mean like how the bush white house is stacked with officials from his father�s administration, oh and maybe like how colin powells son got a job as FCC chairman, you mean like that type of patronage system?

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2004, 02:26 PM

I know these threads have been beaten to death, but I think some of these are newish questions.

First off, I�m going to be attending college at SMU in Dallas starting in August and will be buying a laptop. I�ve never used a Mac, but after years of PC use, I�m just kind of sick of all the little stuff that goes wrong. So, you�ve got a potential switcher here (I just have to convince my father that I won�t have compatibility issues or stick out like a sore thumb.)

I�ll be majoring in business�a field that is certainly dominated by the PC. From my lurking here I don�t think I would have any compatibility issues as it seems files can be swapped between the two platforms with no problems. Also, I don�t think there are any business specific programs so getting Office for the Mac would be my only necessity.

I would think that M$'s big brother attitude would be a total turn-off to republicans- I don't want the government looking over my shoulder and I certainly don't want uncle Bill looking over it either. There are a ton of liberal mac zealots, (me being one of them) but until computers run on Iraqi SUV juice, I don't really see what it has to do with your political views.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

StephanieA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2004, 02:36 PM

Actually, Bill Gates has given $2,000 to Shrub's campaign.

http://www.fundrace.org/neighbors.ph...Search+by+Name

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 05:15 PM

sigh .. convince the potential convert, not argue amongst yourselves over petty stuff ... shrug

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 11:35 PM

Alec -

by all means, please go back to Dell

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by HasanDaddy:
Alec -

by all means, please go back to Dell

Hey HasanDaddy .. cool name ... for a REPUBLICAN ... dun dun duuuuh .. lol .. just kidding .. cool name though .. and in case anyone wonders .. i'm more liberal .. slightly left of center, yet fiscally conservative .. check my location .. and no .. i was not in those anti war rallies.. anyways .. who gives a damn .. we dont need to tell this guy all the republican reasons why he should own one ... if he convince his pops that the powerbooks are great machines and osx cant stand up on it's own merits .. it doesnt deserve to be used by him. i can see 100 reasons why a republican would want to own it, and i can see 100 reasons why democrats would too. so nutz ... just buy it or not. ask us useful questions instead of those that will lead to bickering.

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 11:52 PM

Lancer

well put and I agree!

I love a BiPartisan agreement!

btw - thanks for the compliments upon my nick - I think yours is pretty cool too!

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 11:52 PM

err .. i meant if he couldnt convince his pops to own a mac ... if a mac cant stand up on it's own merit .. it doesnt deserve to be bought .. by republican or democrat

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 11:53 PM

Alec -

don't go to Dell

Macs are wonderful - let's not let political differences ruin it

peace brother

Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2004, 12:50 AM

Whiteboy wrote:

"Being from the South, we are both of the Republican persuasion and while I embrace the Mac for its innovation, he views Macintosh as a very left company (probably true, but I don't think it's a problem.) What are your thoughts? Any Republican users?"

I must admit, your post is quite thought provoking

When you get your PB, why stop at "white boy", change your moniker to "Mac Cracker"

I kid because I love......
( Last edited by Starry Night; Jun 24, 2004 at 01:00 AM. )

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2004, 01:51 AM

lol

whiteboy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2004, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by Starry Night:

When you get your PB, why stop at "white boy", change your moniker to "Mac Cracker"

Hrrmmm....Whiteboy is a nick name...my name is Sam White...my friends started calling me whiteboy freshman year of highschool, and it kinda stuck.

Oh well...sorry I asked anything...didn't think it'd get this bad reaction.

Sam

Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2004, 02:16 PM

Hrrmmm....Whiteboy is a nick name...my name is Sam White...my friends started calling me whiteboy freshman year of highschool, and it kinda stuck.

Oh well...sorry I asked anything...didn't think it'd get this bad reaction.

Sam
It's a joke, it's a joke! That's what all the smiley faces were for. No offense intended

You have to admit, posting from the south, specificly letting us all know that you are Republican (nothing wrong with that per se), and having the moniker "whiteboy", you set yourself up for it. "It" being a joke

Fer God sakes, what difference does it make what kind of computer Rush uses or how Steve Jobs votes? Do you go through your house and examine the political leanings of the manufacturers of every appliance and fixture? "Honey, what has Maytag been up to lately, I'm catching a vibe?"

I recently visited my uncle in Jackson, Mississippi. He's ultra right wing. While I was there he was in the process of throwing out every Heinz bottle in the house. We're talking ketchup, and he was treating it like the fate of the world depended upon whether or not he bought Heinz or Del Monte

This sort of partisan ship, taken to such extremes, borders on pathological. You think democrats are ruining the country, it's partisanship that will bring the country to its knees if it continues like this.

I got such a chuckle out of the "Mac Cracker" phrase, it just sounds funny, that I've thought of changing my own moniker to it. Thus please, don't be offended, none was intended (tee hee, tee hee).

whiteboy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2004, 02:24 PM

All is well, I just really didn't mean the political thing to be the focus of my question. Just really something interesting I could respond to my Dad's original remark about liberals and macs. I really could care less...but anything that makes him more ok with it works for me.

I agree if I can't convince my parents, then the mac probably isn't for me, just looking for some thoughts from you all.

I really like this forum and the people who are a part of it. Thanks alot and keep up the good work!

Sam

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2004, 02:32 PM

I really like this forum and the people who are a part of it. Thanks alot and keep up the good work!

Sam
Good luck with your decision!
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2004, 02:41 PM

All is well, I just really didn't mean the political thing to be the focus of my question. Just really something interesting I could respond to my Dad's original remark about liberals and macs. I really could care less...but anything that makes him more ok with it works for me.

I agree if I can't convince my parents, then the mac probably isn't for me, just looking for some thoughts from you all.

Sam
What greater endorsement, for the sake of your parents, can you get than that Rush thinks Macs are the cat's meow? Then you can explain to them that a Mac has no inherent political leanings. Don't let your Mac hear you when you say it, (whisper) "but it's just a machine, a dispassionate inanimate object". (Shhhh). Now in a louder voice tell your Mac goodmorning and ask it how the night went

And Bill Gates isn't exactly walking around with an elephant on his lapel, thus it's not clear what is gained by buying Microsoft.

Just tell your Dad about Rush's opinion of Macs, and run to the window and wait for Fedex to arrive with your new PowerBook.

Enjoy!

PS: No one tell him that "Infinite Loop" in Mac-dom refers to the pre-installed subliminal copy of the Communist Manifesto that repeats perpetually leading to a much higher incidence of complaining about "the man"
( Last edited by Starry Night; Jun 24, 2004 at 02:55 PM. )

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 02:41 PM

Al Gore is on the board of directors - he's a democrat I think?

The US army uses mac - new cluster being built for them to run weapons simulations, us army website hosted on macs after repeatedly being knocked down while running windows.

French intelligence DPSD are rumoured to use macs

US navy runs G4 Xserves for sonar work (running linux) on some of their subs

NASA - see footage of launches - lots of PBooks

I read somewhere about US military satelite analysts in Iraq getting macs 'cause the PCs in the field weren't up to it.

recent survey in the uk found that the average PC user spends 2 working weeks a year removing viruses/Spam etc

Apple is an American icon around the world up

hope any of that helps (apart from the gore bit)

plus_c
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2004, 03:19 PM

Hi Sam,
I'm a fellow business student, and former sales rep at my campus computer store. While I don't have much to say on the political points, I can tell you a little bit more about the practical side of things.

For the most part, what has already been said wrt compatibility is true. However, one important piece of business software has been left out, and that is Exchange Server/Active Directory. Does your school use Exchange for e-mail? If so, you'll lose a bit of functionality - Exchange does some nifty stuff that the OS X Mail program doesn't do (like check people's meeting availability over the network). You'll still get e-mail, you just won't be able to do the niftier stuff.

B-schools also like to teach databases in MS Access, for which there is no Mac version. If they teach SQL - great, you can use another database software, just make sure that you can use that software without having to be taught. If they use the "traditional" MS Access format...you might have a little bit more difficulty. This may not even be an issue for you - my business school requires me to take a class that includes databasing, yours may not.

From my time as a sales rep, those are the only issues we brought up whenever a business student was considering a Mac. If these are non-issues for you, then go ahead and buy one and enjoy.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

PS. Don't schedule accounting 101 for 9am if you can possibly avoid it - trust me, you'll regret it.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2004, 03:29 PM

I received my BS in Computer Science while using a Mac. If you really need to use a windows program, just use the computer labs computers.

Alec006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2004, 03:31 PM

you know...i heard, if you don't buy a mac...then the terrorists have won...

Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
I received my BS in Computer Science while using a Mac. If you really need to use a windows program, just use the computer labs computers.
This begs the question, can Virtual PC fill the gap for him, or is it too slow?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2004, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Starry Night:
This begs the question, can Virtual PC fill the gap for him, or is it too slow?
That depends on how fast the upcoming version is.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

brentsg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2004, 04:59 PM

Just tell your dad that he's right you should get a Windows based laptop. Tell him you decided it'd be great because you could play a lot more games...

He'll let you get the mac.

B

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2004, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by brentsg:
Just tell your dad that he's right you should get a Windows based laptop. Tell him you decided it'd be great because you could play a lot more games...

He'll let you get the mac.

B
lol .. hilarious .. great tip. my only gripe about mac's is the lack of games .. that's why i still have my gaming pc around. i rarely touch it now a days since i got this baby.

to sam? ... sorry if i sounded mean and angry .. i'm glad you like MacNN and many of the users. I jumped the gun a little bit because i get irate over political arguements when they are in non political threads? .. ya'll know what i mean .... it stops becoming a thread about the merits of a powerbook or ibook or a mac in general .. and it often times turns into an arguement where people refute statements that other people say .. (as has been done earlier in this thread).

i think mac's are great .. and before i switched, i thought macs were crap n mac users were morons (i'm sorry .. please dont kill me guys) .. i was one of those that bought into the pc propoganda. the design is beautiful, the operating system is beautiful. the battery life is great, the keyboard feels FANTASTIC, and the size/weight is great. the price of one of these guys are VERY competitive compared to pc laptops of the same size/weight/features. to have a big harddrive, a slot loading combo, a good battery (compare the specs, few come with such a good battery stock), the portability of it ...

basically .. the features/price is what sold me. when i bought it, i didnt even know if my microsoft mouse/usb drive would work with this thing. i havent used one since middleschool ... but now that i've used it, i did find a problem with this laptop. it wasnt like using a pc .. something totally wierd about it.

i finally nailed it ... it was the fact that it doesnt crash ... you dont really understand what i mean until u use one for a little while. it doesnt crash ...(or rarely .. i guess) ... i am used to periodic crashes in programs (like internet explorer .. which closes a bunch of my windows and makes me scramble to find those sites again) ... i mean ... they are great machines. if u can find all the software u need, then go for it. they are feature packed, and price competitive. u wont like it if u are a gamer though .. short of that .. it's a really good purchase.

sorry for the long post guys ...

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2004, 11:28 PM

I think Alec hit it on the nail!

Forum Links
Forum Rules