Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How much RAM?

How much RAM?
Jigglybootch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2004, 11:19 PM

I'm a long time Windows user and I intend to buy a G4 iBook in the near future. A friend of mine has an older G3 iBook and he told me that OS X loves RAM. I don't intend to do too much with the iBook, but I definitely want more than 256 MB of RAM. For ripping/encoding/listening to mp3s/aac, internet, e-mail, instant messaging, word processing/spreadsheets and other miscellaneous tasks, would 768 megs of RAM be sufficient?

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2004, 01:20 AM

768mb = sounds great
1.25gb = even better*

* if it isnt got to stretch you $$, otherwise 768 is just fine !

happy ibooking !

Jigglybootch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2004, 01:22 AM

Anybody? The only reason I ask is because my friend's iBook has only 256 MB of RAM, and he does pretty much the same stuff that I intend to do with mine, and the performance on his iBook is very sluggish. That, and 1 GB of RAM is expensive, so if I won't get much of a boost beyond 768 MB, I don't want to waste money on 1 GB.

EDIT: gsxrboy beat me to the punch. But seriously, would I see any major performance boost with 1.256 GB over 768 MB?

Sorry about all these newbie questions, but I'm very unfamiliar with all things Mac.

Ice33
Dec 2, 2004, 01:42 AM

do a search for this topic

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2004, 12:21 PM

768MB should be fine. 512MB is a minimum in my book when you're running MacOS X. If you're going to be playing 3D games or using more RAM intensive apps like Adobe Photoshop or Final Cut Pro, then you want to look at 1GB or more.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2004, 05:02 PM

I have 768MB and it works wonderful, I'm not sure what would be different with more memory. The price of 512MB ($80) was also a factor over the 1GB ($190) chip for me.
Troy Murray

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 06:49 PM

Other than most zealots in this forums, I say that for what you need even 512MB are enough. I have 512MB and am using apps like Safari, Mail, iPhoto, MS Office v. X, Photoshop and iTunes... sometimes many of'em at the same time, some running in the background of course.

512MB of RAM are enough for everyday use, pros however might need more RAM.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2004, 09:25 PM

I use 768 and its perfect, I don't think you need to get a 1gb chip it won't help you much.

macyayaR2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2004, 02:24 AM

I also 768mb!
of course if you would like to have ibook to do some perfassional work,such as deal with a large picture(20mb)in photoshop or so,you should spand more money on 1Gb ram.
in my opinion,you don't need 1Gb,beacuse you do work with powerbook is much better than with a ibook, the cpu of ibook is too slow!
that's true!
and 1Gb ram is much more expensive than a 512ram,not just double times!
I'm lazy,leave no things

Forum Links
Forum Rules