Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Very Strange Airport Express Problem...

Very Strange Airport Express Problem...
xec17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2005, 12:35 AM

Hi all,

I live in a dorm and use an Airport Express to get wireless internet in my room. I set up the network back in August and it has worked for the most part flawlessly and has never had a major problem. This weekend however, the darned thing just stopped working. Now the Airport Express starts up, starts the network, obtains an IP address (although it takes a long time to find it), and gives a green light. My AlBook can recognize the network, can join the network, but then can't connect to the internet! I've tried soft resetting, hard resetting, and factory default resetting the Airport Express but the same issue occurs. I've tried using different network jacks, using different computers, and even using a different Airport Express (I have two), but the same thing happens. Does anyone have any idea what may be happening? Thanks,

Eash

mhawker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2005, 12:41 PM

Sounds like a problem with the network you're connecting to, not necessarily the Express.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2005, 02:23 PM

I agree. I'm pretty sure that the Green light only means that it has recieved an IP address via DHCP, and thinks it is properly configured with DNS and a router address. It doesn't mean that the Router is actually properly forwarding packets. You could plug the AEx into a wired IP-sharing router with no upstream Internet connection, and it would still give you the green light.

One test: can you bring a buddy's laptop into the room, see what IP address the AEx gives it, and ping it? If you can, than the AEx is probably working fine, but your campus shut off your Internet access at your wall port. Probably because your roomate was downloading gigabytes of music and pr0n again. Stupid roommate! Bandwidth isn't free, you know!

Forum Links
Forum Rules