Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > USB Nightmare!

USB Nightmare!
tavilach
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2007, 09:20 PM

I've been having a device nightmare the past day or two, and I'd really, really appreciate some help!

Suddenly, after I moved into my apartment and plugged in my USB hub and firewire hub, my $100 wireless keyboard and my standard Apple keyboard stopped working completely. I tried using them on an older computer and a friend's computer, to no avail.

Clueless, I decided to purchase a new Apple keyboard (which I wanted, anyway). I plugged that into my MacBook Pro and it worked fine. Then, I plugged it into my hub...

...and voila, Mac OS X said something about a USB device drawing too much power and shutting it off, and then the keyboard stopped working completely! The Caps Lock light is permanently on, and it is completely unresponsible on my MacBook Pro *and* my older computer!

I thought about it for a few minutes, and then realized that my USB hub was using the cable for my Firewire hub's power supply, and vice versa. The Firewire hub's power supply is input 100-240V 50/60Hz 0.4A, output +12V 1.5A, and the USB hub's power supply is input 100-240V 50/60Hz 0.3A, output +5V 2.5A.

So...

What happened?
Are my devices totally broken?
Would this be covered by warranty or am I just screwed?
My MacBook pro seems fine, but could part if it be damaged from this?

Please help! Thanks .
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2007, 09:37 PM

Would this be covered by warranty or am I just screwed?
Why would this be covered by warranty. The failure wasn't the result of defective hardware but by a mistake by you. I hate to sound harsh but warranties are not insurance plans and if you break it, then its up to you to replace/repair it, not apple.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2007, 10:27 PM

You shoved 12 volts into a bunch of devices for 5; I'm surprised you didn't see the magic purple smoke*.
The devices are toast; you shoved about six times the amount of power into them that they're designed for.
Shouldn't be covered by warranty, but if you don't tell the company what happened they'll probably replace the devices.
MacBook should be fine, since no power would go upstream.

* The magic purple smoke is what makes all electronics work. Once you release it, they don't work anymore.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2007, 10:58 PM

I'm fine as long as the MacBook Pro isn't damaged. So you're pretty sure it wouldn't be?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2007, 05:53 PM

Do the USB ports work? If so they're probably not damaged.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2007, 04:29 AM

Yeah, they work. So I guess I'm good to go w/ the MacBook Pro? Cool.

Forum Links
Forum Rules