Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Connecting old surround sound speakers

Connecting old surround sound speakers
tavilach
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2009, 07:12 PM

Hey all,

I've got some old Altec Lansing surround sound speakers (4 + subwoofer) that I'd like to connect to my MBP, but I can't figure out what sort of adapter I'd need.

At the back of the subwoofer there's an empty port called "Diag," and two 3.5mm (it looks like) audio cords coming out of an "Input" port. I'm only used to dealing with singe 3.5mm cords, so any help would be appreciated

Here's a pic:
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2009, 05:00 AM

Bump--any replies would be much appreciated
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

ibook_steve
Aug 14, 2009, 09:40 AM

Why don't you try plugging one of those mini plugs into your MBP and seeing what happens?

Or even better, if you know the model number, I'm sure you can Google the instructions.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 16, 2009, 05:02 AM

OK, so you've got two jacks: each one carries two channels. Following the industry standards, the pale green plug is the standard stereo (front L+R) channels. The black plug is the two rear channels.

Since no Macs have analog surround outputs, you have a few options:
  • Ignore surround and use a $5 headphone splitter to just run both front and rear as stereo. This is probably what I'd do.
  • Get an external USB or FireWire surround audio interface. Not many apps support this.
  • Use optical output from the MBP and go to a surround receiver that has analog surround pre-outputs, and use a bunch of plug adapters to connect it to the speakers. Silly and pointless, but doable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules