Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 38)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm an easy-going guy, but I think I feel something I can only describe as unadulterated hatred...
Yeah, that wasn't acid, it was just a little piece of paper I ripped off my notebook.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Jawbone54, did you get a nuke with your 28 kill streak then? I really really want to get a nuke (in an honest way). I seem to get the opportunity more and more but those last 3 or 4 kills just aren't happening.
I wish.

I got it on Rundown using the Predator > Harrier > Chopper Gunner combo. None of the guys had an anti-air class to switch to, I'm guessing. I went 29-1, with my one death coming immediately after my first blood kill.

I find it hard to maintain a decent k/d. When there aren't many people on, then I play std TDM. Since I have cold-blooded on all my classes, I don't get the kills that I feel that I should (although since I've gotten the ACR again I'm aiming for the head and not using up too much ammo). I just don't like taking the risk of leaving off cold-blooded for stopping power. I always get my arse kicked by air support when I choose stopping power. More often than not, I end up running and gunning with marathon and lightweight in std tdm. While I generally come out positive, its usually not over +5.
I usually lean the opposite way. Whenever I take off Stopping Power and switch to Cold-Blooded with my main class, I almost always do worse. If I get killed once by air support, I'll usually switch to my anti-air class until it's down and I see they don't have the next tier (Pavelow, AC-130, etc.) waiting.

I got my 24 win streak by playing with a group of clan members on a weekend for a long session. I just cannot see how people can play randomly and get high winning streaks.
What is your typical killstreak sequence? Do you roll with one of the common ones? Predator > Harrier > Pavelow or Predator > Harrier, Chopper/AC-130?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
What is your typical killstreak sequence? Do you roll with one of the common ones? Predator > Harrier > Pavelow or Predator > Harrier, Chopper/AC-130?
I have nuke on all the time - just in case.

I've tried Stealth bomber + Chopper gunner, stealth + AC-130, Pavelow + chopper gunner, Pavelow + AC-130 and now I've gone to using the Harrier + AC-130. But I don't think that the Harrier is tough enough. Of course when somebody else has a Harrier they get 10 kills with it, if its me I get 2 or 3. The AC-130 the same. What the Irish call the kiss of sh1t.

I seem to get the decent airpower on crappy maps or they get shot down really quickly. AC-130 on Skidrow - yup, a few times. Chopper gunner on wasteland - check. Shot down after 2 kills - check.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2010, 12:18 PM

I'm notoriously ineffective with the AC130, I prefer the Chopper Gunner. With the Harrier it all depends on the level of attention the other team is paying. If the other team is clueless I'll get 7-9 kills with the Harrier, is the team knows what they are doing my Harrier is shot down as soon as it enters.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2010, 01:09 PM

A friend of mine refuses to play MW2 because "the killstreaks are unfair."

If there's one smart player on the other team, my friend's point is moot.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2010, 01:12 PM

Anything being unfair in the game simply translates to the complainer just sucking balls at CoD. I used to suck balls too, it takes patience and practice to get better. Picking up MW2 and playing only a few matches before you make a final judgement isn't giving the game enough chance.

I know it's not for everybody, but I consider MW2 to be far better balanced than a game like Halo 3.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2010, 01:18 PM

Killstreaks only become overpowered when either

A. You're levels 1-24
B. You're on Wasteland
C. You're getting spawn-killed

All other times there are more pressing issues, like lag, bad spawns, spawn-camping, and lightweight/fagmando

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I know it's not for everybody, but I consider MW2 to be far better balanced than a game like Halo 3.
Yes, exactly. I like both the ability to choose what weapons I want to use, and the fact that the game isn't determined by who grabbed the rockets first.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2010, 01:45 PM

Yeah, I'd say MW2 is definitely better balanced.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
A. You're levels 1-24
B. You're on Wasteland
C. You're getting spawn-killed

All other times there are more pressing issues, like lag, bad spawns, spawn-camping, and lightweight/fagmando
Talking about spawn-killing, I saw some dummy who put his tactical insertion right where he was camping from. Not a good idea. I intentionally didn't shoot his tactical insertion, which guaranteed me a 2nd easy kill.

Bad spawns - nothing worse than everyone spawning at the same spot and those with cold-blooded be mowed down because of those that don't have cold-blooded. I got shot twice in a row because of that, before I could even bring up my stinger.

You probably should have another item D. - your team is too green. You can play as hard as you want and get the highest individual score, but if the rest of your team doesn't help, you still won't win. EDIT... maybe that's what you meant by point A, though. Although I read that as just you are at level 1-24.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yes, exactly. I like both the ability to choose what weapons I want to use, and the fact that the game isn't determined by who grabbed the rockets first.
Precisely my point, I like how it levels the playing field. Imagine MW2 where there is one sniper rifle, in the middle of the map, and everybody starts out with a pistol.

In H3 it was always a dash to the Spartan Laser and the Sniper Rifle. Looking at the Reach video it mentions loadouts, but I have no idea how they are going to implement them.

As I've said before, I still get super angry when I play sometimes, but it's more of an anger surrounded by some ludicrous timing and/or lucky kill for someone else. I'm never playing thinking to myself, "God this game is so unbalanced, if they just fixed 'x' I'd be the kill leader right now."

Remember back when we were getting care package glitched on Invasion? They were calling in a Predator Missile, Harrier Strike or Stealth Bomber every ten goddamn seconds and we still managed to utterly destroy them. I have a feeling those people who hate killstreaks are the same ones shooting their SCAR at the belly of a Harrier without using Cold Blooded.

I haven't used a Cold Blooded class exclusively since my first run through and I very rarely encounter times where a killstreak is stopping me dead in my tracks.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2010, 01:56 PM

Precisely my point, I like how it levels the playing field. Imagine MW2 where there is one sniper rifle, in the middle of the map, and everybody starts out with a pistol.

In H3 it was always a dash to the Spartan Laser and the Sniper Rifle. Looking at the Reach video it mentions loadouts, but I have no idea how they are going to implement them.

As I've said before, I still get super angry when I play sometimes, but it's more of an anger surrounded by some ludicrous timing and/or lucky kill for someone else. I'm never playing thinking to myself, "God this game is so unbalanced, if they just fixed 'x' I'd be the kill leader right now."

Remember back when we were getting care package glitched on Invasion? They were calling in a Predator Missile, Harrier Strike or Stealth Bomber every ten goddamn seconds and we still managed to utterly destroy them. I have a feeling those people who hate killstreaks are the same ones shooting their SCAR at the belly of a Harrier without using Cold Blooded.

I haven't used a Cold Blooded class exclusively since my first run through and I very rarely encounter times where a killstreak is stopping me dead in my tracks.
I admit I've been a worthless team mate since my second prestige when it comes to shooting down killstreaks. Two reasons:

A. The Stinger is irritating to carry. Giving up your secondary (usually vital for me), plus it give you away through walls you have your back to, or by sticking up higher than the rest of you.

B. I either don't die (because I hide from the killstreak) or I'm seduced by cold-blooded. Its greatest asset (undetectable by killstreaks) is also its greatest temptation. The killstreak can't see me. Why shoot it down?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2010, 02:54 PM

Instead of starting a new thread with this question, I thought I'd ask here since most people are active in this thread.

Does anyone here use something other than the stock Xbox headset for in-game chatting? I can't stand the standard headset and I've been looking around for a new one, but there are tons out there and I have no idea if any of them are any better.

Things I hate about the stock headset:
-Uncomfortable to wear for long sessions
-Volume level on the headphones is way too low, even on the highest setting
-Mic volume level is too low. I generally have to either be eating the mic or speak louder than I should have to for people to hear me

Things I'd like to have on a new headset:
-All of the above gripes solved
-Needs to be wired, preferably like the stock set, connected to the controller
-Prefer over the head style, one earpiece, like the stock set - but could deal with 2 earpieces if they are comfy

Anyone have any suggestions?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2010, 02:56 PM

The stock headset is too big for my head, but I'll be damned if I pay ****ing money for something else.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2010, 03:00 PM

You cheap bastard.

Oh, and I should add that the new headset has to be reasonably priced. I've seen some that are ****in stupidly expensive.

Anyone who has thrown away good money on a new headset have any suggestions?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2010, 03:08 PM

I'm not sure I've ever even seen a third party headset. I imagine an Amazon search will prove they exist, however.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2010, 03:22 PM

I don't mind the standard mic, though I agree you either have to have the mic in your mouth or speak louder than you would if somebody was across the damn room.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2010, 03:32 PM

Two words for sound sek : Turtle Beach

I wear glasses and they are uncomfortable after a while because of the ear padding. But fook me are they good.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2010, 03:38 PM

Actually that looks damn good, sometimes I game out late at night when my g/f is sleeping over and the system I use to have both the Mic and my headphones on is silly to say the least.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2010, 03:58 PM

There are some that say Turtle Beaches can even defeat Ninja Pro as well as lengthening your manhood.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2010, 04:08 PM

I admit I've been a worthless team mate since my second prestige when it comes to shooting down killstreaks. Two reasons:

A. The Stinger is irritating to carry. Giving up your secondary (usually vital for me), plus it give you away through walls you have your back to, or by sticking up higher than the rest of you.
Agreed. You're either giving up a shotgun or extra bullets (unless you have scavenger on or extended mags) to carry that big stinger.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
B. I either don't die (because I hide from the killstreak) or I'm seduced by cold-blooded. Its greatest asset (undetectable by killstreaks) is also its greatest temptation. The killstreak can't see me. Why shoot it down?
The only problem is your not the only one on the team. If no-one else has a stinger and cold-blooded, the other team is going to get kills and win. Of course we know this and that's why we have a stinger class. There's been a few times I've grumbled "for ***** sake, doesn't anybody on this team have a stinger". Of course usually soon after that I get killed and switch to my stinger class.

As well, if you shoot down killstreaks, you eventually get cold-blooded pro, which is fairly helpful as it can confuse an enemy - not having that red sign above your head.
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2010, 04:12 PM

One game recently we were getting hosed by a Chopper Gunner so I bit the bullet, or better yet cooked a grenade and killed myself so I could come alive with my Cold Blooded Stinger class and take him down.

Martyrdom at its finest.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2010, 08:10 PM

I find this amusing.

YouTube - Driving a car in MW2

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2010, 08:14 PM

I don't use the headset all that often. Some of my friends and I have resorted to using our cell phones with three way calling and our own headsets when we play. But this is mainly because one friend got a used XBOX360 and he doesn't have a headset.
( Last edited by JMan09; Mar 16, 2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: can't spell good)
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2010, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
As well, if you shoot down killstreaks, you eventually get cold-blooded pro, which is fairly helpful as it can confuse an enemy - not having that red sign above your head.
There is an extremely easy way to get cold-blooded pro with ONE helicopter. I'll let you search on youtube.

Last night, std TDM. Run and gun class on Karachi. Akimbo Rangers. I get 7 kills. Harrier. I bomb and strafe and get the AC-130. From 11 kills I get to ... 20 - FOR FOOOOOKS SAKE !!!!!

Team-mates (4 others from my clan and one random) say to camp. Do I take their advice? No. I run out and get shot as soon as I run up the stairs near the clock tower.

I will get that damned nuke.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2010, 04:49 PM

Team-mates (4 others from my clan and one random) say to camp. Do I take their advice? No. I run out and get shot as soon as I run up the stairs near the clock tower.
That always seems to be the worry - you're 1 or 2 kills away from that last killstreak. Do sit tight in a certain area and wait for a couple more kills to come your way or go out and risk getting killed while you hunt down a couple more.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2010, 06:07 PM

The Harrier, Chopper Gunner, Nuke kill streak is serving me well, even though I'm still not getting those last few kills. 19-0 on Wasteland and 20-0 on Skidrow tonight. Of course then it all went to sh1t, the clan came on in droves and I got my arse kicked in Domination.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2010, 08:28 PM

Anyone going to be on tonight? Fatty? Or will you still be busy playing Metrosexual 2033?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2010, 10:57 PM

I'm all Metro tonight,
( Last edited by sek929; Mar 17, 2010 at 11:06 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 17, 2010, 11:07 PM

Too late.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2010, 01:42 AM

Yeah, I saw you guys on, then noticed you signed off one minute earlier.

LIke I needed an excuse to play Metro tonight anyways,

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 18, 2010, 10:34 AM

So I was looking over my perks last night and I noticed I had 75 miles on Marathon (out of 104) and I wasn't even trying (though it was on the majority of my classes). I was briefly considering postponing Prestiging to finish the Marathon challenge (and AK mastery), but when I didn't travel a mile after two more games using Marathon I changed my mind. No need to waste the XP.

As it was I was going to ditch the M240 mastery once I could Prestige, but since I'm half way through FMJ... might as well get that done once and for all.

I think I'm going to post a pic of the weapon titles I've managed to unlock after next Prestige. I should be passing 500 kills with both the Intervention and Barrett soon.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 18, 2010, 10:37 AM

Weapon questions:

Who here uses the Glocks? I read some dude who said he managedto take down a UAV with akimbo ones, but I find that at anything further than close range the recoil destroys my aim (always over the head).

Anyone use the rangers? I always thought their range looked too terrible to bother with. My buddy has been playing with them, and it sounds like he hates them.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2010, 11:21 AM

I think I'm going to post a pic of the weapon titles I've managed to unlock after next Prestige. I should be passing 500 kills with both the Intervention and Barrett soon.
Got over 500 kills with the Barrett. I think I'm closer to 600 than 500. I haven't started the Intervention. I plan on trying the WA2000 next prestige - I'll probably use the Barrett until I get the WA2000.

In the ARs, I've still got to get the TAR-21, FAL, F2000, and AK-47 mastered. Mastering the AK-47 is likely going to mean delaying a prestige. Has anyone mastered the F2000 - it seems like it spews out bullets, but doesn't do much damage. Can anyone say nerf gun.

I've got alot of shotguns to get kills with, too.

I haven't used any pistols yet. I assume that's where the glocks are.
MacBook Pro

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2010, 01:19 PM

I've been using the Rangers (akimbo + FMJ) on my main class for fun. They are pretty badass in my opinion, but I'm a relative noob and don't really know the weapons very well. I get a ton of kills with them on certain close quarters maps. I just recently unlocked the last shotgun, so I'll be spending more time with each.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 18, 2010, 04:33 PM

Get it while its hot: YouTube - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Stimulous Package video

Looks legit to me. Complex Bailout is very Haloish. The level seems decent sized, though there's plenty of opportunity for some multi-level ****ery.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 18, 2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Has anyone mastered the F2000 - it seems like it spews out bullets, but doesn't do much damage. Can anyone say nerf gun.
It's the fourth most powerful AR. The issue is its (by comparison) massive recoil.

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I've been using the Rangers (akimbo + FMJ) on my main class for fun. They are pretty badass in my opinion, but I'm a relative noob and don't really know the weapons very well. I get a ton of kills with them on certain close quarters maps. I just recently unlocked the last shotgun, so I'll be spending more time with each.
You don't know jack, son. Call us when you've Prestiged.

Interesting factoid from call of duty wikia regarding the 1887s
The original Model 1887s Akimbo used to have very long range for a shotgun in-game, around double the full range of the SPAS-12
When used with Akimbo, the range is about the same as that of the Ranger.
Double the range of the SPAS? Soundslike a glitch, since the single had about the same range. I find latter a little hard to believe. I did have an incident last night where it took two (technically four) shots to kill a a guy up close, but I was strafing, so I imagine between loss of accuracy and latency its easily explained away. Yeah, it does sound like they over-nerfed them, but whatever, not a huge deal for me.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2010, 06:29 PM

You don't know jack, son. Call us when you've Prestiged.
Word.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2010, 06:30 PM

Apparently I don't know jack.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2010, 07:34 PM

Dayum. I see how it is. I'll just sit quietly and listen like a good noob.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2010, 09:20 PM

Anyone playing tonight or am I balls deep in the Moscow Metro Tunnels again tonight?

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 18, 2010, 11:06 PM

Anyone playing tonight or am I balls deep in the Moscow Metro Tunnels again tonight?
this will be me tomorrow, hopefully

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2010, 05:08 AM

Who here uses the Glocks? I read some dude who said he managedto take down a UAV with akimbo ones, but I find that at anything further than close range the recoil destroys my aim (always over the head).
A guy in my clan who always kicks arse uses them, so I tried them. The recoil can actually help get headshots when you're close enough, but overall I find it hard to control, especially Akimbo. With a silencer, its not a bad weapon for those intimate close encounters.

Anyone use the rangers? I always thought their range looked too terrible to bother with. My buddy has been playing with them, and it sounds like he hates them.
Just got the 10,000XP with them last night. Akimbo, crazy commando class setup. I actually like them, but yeah the range sucks. Damage is good though.

I'm getting annoyed with the killstreaks. Last night I had chopper gunner on Karachi. What a waste of time. The bloody thing actually seemed to be flying down alleys instead of giving me a clear shot to where the opponents are. Then the next match a clan member has a chopper gunner on Highrise and gets his nuke.

So ... Chopper Gunner or AC-130?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2010, 05:17 AM

As an aside, I was looking at the leader boards and trying to find who had what stats similar to mine. As far as number of kills, you can safely ignore the first 1000 - yes I scrolled through them. Nothing but hacks. Even the people at 1500 are questionable. Those from MacNN on my friends list will be pleased to hear that they are above average in terms of k/d and wins for time played than most of the people that I looked at last night. There are ALOT of people with k/d below 1, yet have quite high scores. There are some amazing win streaks. I presume that these people don't just hop on and join a random game, because how the hell do you maintain a 300 game win streak ?!?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 19, 2010, 12:23 PM

Secretly waiting til everyone logs off at midnight before you turn your xbox on?

There are some amazing win streaks. I presume that these people don't just hop on and join a random game, because how the hell do you maintain a 300 game win streak ?!?!
Apparently if you lace 1-3rd on FFA it adds to your winstreak, and the occasional 4th-6th only pauses it.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2010, 02:53 PM

Well I got past the 500 kill mark with the FAMAS yesterday. Started using it this past Sunday after I Prestiged. I currently have the silencer attached so I can complete the stealth challenge.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 19, 2010, 03:28 PM

So, when you pick a weapon, do you just use it on every map no matter what the situation?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 19, 2010, 03:56 PM

Double XP Weekend: April 2 - 5. Expect me to whore it non-stop to try to blow through as much of a Prestige as possible.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2010, 04:16 PM

So, when you pick a weapon, do you just use it on every map no matter what the situation?
Yes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 19, 2010, 04:16 PM

Turrible.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 19, 2010, 04:23 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules