Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 Keeps spitting out DVD-R's

G5 Keeps spitting out DVD-R's
RevEvs
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 09:56 AM

Is it just my G5? or do other people have their superdrives spit out DVD-Rs?

Sometimes it works, but 99% of the time DVD-Rs just get spit out of the drive after a second or so... the G5 wrote these DVD-Rs but wont read them..... very annoying

EDIT: I have a feeling it may just be dirty... :/
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

nerd
Senior User
Mar 20, 2005, 12:14 PM

This happened to me. It got worse after time. The drive would never spin up after putting in a disk. It would spit it about after about 5 seconds. I finally replaced the drive with the DVR-108 from newegg.com.

RevEvs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2005, 07:59 AM

yup sounds just like my drive... blowing into it to clear some dust made it work a little better - it now at least attempts to spin up. Will buy a compressed air canister and give it a better clean...

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2005, 09:33 PM

I've had it with Pioneer drives! It's happened to me twice. Each time I had to replace the drive, it got so bad that it would stop reading even commercial DVD's!

t500
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2005, 05:21 PM

I just had this issue about a month ago on a 1st Gen G5 1.8 Dual. Apple sent me a replacement drive (Via Apple Care). The drive I had was a Sony, They replaced it with a Pioneer. Maby its a dust issue. All those hold may be messing with the DVD performance. Good luck.

Jerr

RevEvs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 08:20 AM

think ill be replaceing mine with the LG super dooper multi mega dvd/cd everything drive... and it comes in black.. so thats good. ALso its only about �30 and a heck of a lot better than what apple uses... why cant they put decent drives in in the first place!

Forum Links
Forum Rules