Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > A year ago, on 7th July 2005

A year ago, on 7th July 2005
Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2006, 09:15 AM

London was celebrating its successful bid to host the 2012 Olympic Games. The morning was sunny, and it looked like it was going to be a wonderful day. Horrifically, it was not to be.

I remember sitting in our sixth form common room at school for one of the last times ever (it was the last day of term, and our year was leaving to move on to the next stage in our lives; some were anticipating travelling to far-flung places, others were looking forward to attending university). We were all looking forward to the big party up in town later that evening to celebrate and mark the end of a great chapter in our lives.

It was shortly after 10am. I looked up and suddenly everybody was crowding around the television. Confused, I moved closer. The news was reporting a "major incident" and that the entire tube network was closed. Nobody understood what was going on. Then, it was reported that there had been an explosion on a bus. Obviously the "power surges" on the tube network were explosions as well. How many were there? Were people hurt? The reports were hazy and conflicting.

As time went by, it began to sink in. Four suicide bombers had killed 52 and injured nearly 800 in a co-ordinated attack across our transport network.

Over the days and weeks that followed, I have to say I was proud to be British. Proud to be a Londoner. The reaction from the average person on the street was truly amazing. The mood was sombre, but there was an underlying stoic determination to continue on with our daily lives just as we had done before. The school party up in town was obviously cancelled, but we had a smaller, more intimate event locally in south-east London on that very day. We refused let a few small-minded fanatics completely ruin the day.

Today is a year on, and I hope we can all take a moment to reflect on the events that day. Our thoughts are with the victims and their families. I have to say that I was fortunate enough not to know anybody directly affected by the attack, but I know others who were not so lucky.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2006, 02:13 PM

Thought and prayers are with you.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2006, 03:35 PM

I ride the DC metro every day... it's going to happen here eventually. I'm happy to see that London didn't let one attack hurt their public transportation.

SpyManiac007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2006, 04:06 PM

Yes. Sad day. My prayers were (are) with you.

Signed, your closest non-British neighbors,

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2006, 04:10 PM

I remember Jon Stewart making fun of FOX News when they reported about "absolute chaos in London streets" after the bombings, and the pictures were of what you just described. Londoners being somber, then trying to get on with their daily lives.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 7, 2006, 04:22 PM

Well I think subways being bombed would be Chaotic....

Stewart is so dishonestly smarmy.

willed
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2006, 04:31 PM

I remember everyone realising only gradually what had happened. At first the BBC news website reported power surges on the tube. I thought 'that's weird'... Then the next time I checked I think news.bbc.co.uk had gone down. Now, that really pissed me off!
My sister lived on Tavistock Square at the time. Luckily she was away for a few days when the attacks happened, thank God.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 7, 2006, 04:33 PM

I remember news sites were so slow that day.

kick52
Baninated
Jul 7, 2006, 04:55 PM

sad day.

i really cant believe it was one year ago.

Dopetrackalistic
Baninated
Jul 7, 2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Angus_D
The reaction from the average person on the street was truly amazing. The mood was sombre, but there was an underlying stoic determination to continue on with our daily lives just as we had done before.
Doesn't everybody do this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules